Kio

The Endless Chicken Meatball

18 hours ago, Drake said:

Since I've seen this topic, I searched my local stores and found these.

http://www.aidells.com/product/21

Wondering if these will be ok, just starting on my soft food stage and tried small piece of chicken.. went down ok but felt a little weird after eating it. Wondering if grounded meats will be better.

I love the Aidells ground chicken meatballs and chicken sausages - especially the Italian flavored ones.  I think that you should try them and see how they work for you.  Be sure to take small bites and chew them very well before you swallow.  The best way to heat them is in a 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.

1 hour ago, Kio said:

That's what I do!  I can't really tell naturally when I'm full, so I've been doing this little trick - deep breath every bite, and if I feel any sensation of tightness by the breastbone, I stop!

I'm starting to think my surgeon's eating plan is super forgiving.  I've been cleared for chicken, turkey, fish, mushy cooked vegetables, eggs, that kind of thing, since 3 weeks out - in very small quantities!  Forty days after surgery I'm cleared to eat anything I try that works - that will be around the end of this month.  

However, I have learned my lesson - that not everything I'm cleared for is actually edible by me at the time that I get cleared for it.  For instance, I was allowed refried beans two weeks after surgery, and have never managed to comfortably eat any!

I like the deep breath idea...then again, that should work for everyone (just to make a person relaxed and aware of eating) !!!

Personally to me, it sounds like refried beans would be really difficult...like it would "gunk" up the works!  (unless it is watered down and thinned out a bit)

20 hours ago, Kio said:

I have DREAMS about being able to eat a 5.3 oz yogurt!  3 oz is all I can manage at this point.  :) 

@Gretta and @Res Ipsa - It's good to know I'm following in the footsteps of people who know the ropes!  

It will come, be patient, your new stomach is still very tender and healing.

Refried beans were my go to week 3.  As soon as I was cleared I came home and heated some refried beans, a little cheese and taco sauce.  Best meal ever!  

Think I will try the Aidell's Chicken Meat Balls out, and the advise about using a sauce is also something I'm gonna try out. Both times I tried to eat chicken, less then two ounces at each sitting I chewed to high heavens and swallowed then felt bad. The mention that the chicken possibly being dryer then my stomach would like, makes alot of since so I'm gonna try the meat balls, and being Italian place them in some of my Family Recipe Sauce and let them soak up for a few hours. 

7 hours ago, CJireh said:

Personally to me, it sounds like refried beans would be really difficult...like it would "gunk" up the works!  (unless it is watered down and thinned out a bit)

At first you have to thin everything, even pureed soup, otherwise it will feel too heavy and you'll get full really fast.  At least that's what happened to me.

23 hours ago, Kio said:

Wings?  Or, well, in my case right now it would be "wing" ;) 

Too little meat, too much fatty skin. Have to roast these at 500 F watching a hawk to avoid burning but still render skin fat out. They are like my personal form of oral heroin, BBQ ribs, also too fatty and meat deficient for me now. (Except one every once in a while to remind me why 1 is ok but 2 are too much)... but they are really good!! Funny how just a wing or rib now is a topic to mention on this Forum!

So if you like savoury foods: try oven roasting bacon in a pan at 350-425, takes 20-30 minutes. High temp (up to 500F) is faster but you have less margin of error if you don't watch closely, it burns. Done right it's acceptably lean when well crisped...and delicious. One crumpled slice, 40-50 calories, brings tons of flavor to soups, broths, salads, sandwiches, casseroles...

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Too little meat, too much fatty skin. Have to roast these at 500 F watching a hawk to avoid burning but still render skin fat out. They are like my personal form of oral heroin, BBQ ribs, also too fatty and meat deficient for me now. (Except one every once in a while to remind me why 1 is ok but 2 are too much)... but they are really good!! Funny how just a wing or rib now is a topic to mention on this Forum!

So if you like savoury foods: try oven roasting bacon in a pan at 350-425, takes 20-30 minutes. High temp (up to 500F) is faster but you have less margin of error if you don't watch closely, it burns. Done right it's acceptably lean when well crisped...and delicious. One crumpled slice, 40-50 calories, brings tons of flavor to soups, broths, salads, sandwiches, casseroles...

Curses!  But your bacon trick sounds super good.  We have generally done our bacon on a foil-covered baking sheet in the oven, at 400 for 20 minutes - but I doubt enough of the fat renders out of it that way.

Tonight, Leah bought a rotisserie chicken and brought it home - I snagged a drumstick (my doc's eating schedule suggests starting chicken with dark meat since it's more moist) and picked off an ounce of meat with no skin, and shook on a little salt.  It was easily the tastiest thing I've had since surgery, and I had no issues during or after eating it.  It was so lovely I didn't even think of wings - who cares!

So do you avoid fat because of dumping, or because of calories, or just personal preference?

We use Hormel Black Label Precooked Bacon its only 20 cal. a piece 2 fat 2 protein. 1 min in the microwave and its good to go.

16 hours ago, CJireh said:

I like the deep breath idea...then again, that should work for everyone (just to make a person relaxed and aware of eating) !!!

Refried beans sound hard but go down easily. It's weird. There's almost no way of telling until you try something - things that seem easy might be hard and vice versa. Scrambled eggs are still my nemesis. 

9 hours ago, Kio said:

Curses!  But your bacon trick sounds super good.  We have generally done our bacon on a foil-covered baking sheet in the oven, at 400 for 20 minutes - but I doubt enough of the fat renders out of it that way.

Tonight, Leah bought a rotisserie chicken and brought it home - I snagged a drumstick (my doc's eating schedule suggests starting chicken with dark meat since it's more moist) and picked off an ounce of meat with no skin, and shook on a little salt.  It was easily the tastiest thing I've had since surgery, and I had no issues during or after eating it.  It was so lovely I didn't even think of wings - who cares!

So do you avoid fat because of dumping, or because of calories, or just personal preference?

More the calories than anything else. Plus as much as I have become more relaxed about my intake of fats, and reduced the carbohydrates, it's still clear that saturated animal fats aren't as good for you as fish/nut/olive oils. So I render down the bacon and then add it when crispy to whatever. Last night I made a kind of chili with shallots, garlic, 2 kinds of peppers (all cooked in olive oil), hamburger meat (yes drained of fat after cooking), black beans, and freshly roasted corn cut off the cob after being toasted on a gas flame. To which I added 2 slices of crumbed bacon. Tons of flavor, not much fat, different textures and mouth feels, and the beans and corn were my carbos for the day. 

IMHO, dark chicken meat is much more tasty than white meat and far more moist. I continue to be amused at the way chicken breasts are touted as an nearly ideal protein. It has a few less calories than dark meat but is so much less tasty and dries up easily... like, why bother unless it is moist? I don't eat sawdust either, which is low calorie. Will gleefully finish a batch of confit chicken legs that I made last weekend over this weekend, and make another batch. Currently using fresh sage and rosemary paste when I salt the chicken legs before cooking. They last for months covered in oil in the fridge. You just remove, let the oil drain off or wipe it off, and voila. Easy to warm up in a pan. 

Ok, I'm babbling about cooking, enough...

@Jen581791I can't even imagine that scrambled eggs wouldn't be the easiest thing to eat.  Boy I do have a lot to learn/experiment with when I am on the other side! :)

BTW, love your new pic, great smile and a lovely thin face!

I think part of it is that many people scramble their eggs too hard - it makes them a little chewy, which I can see being a problem.  The official "rule" is that if scrambled eggs look done in the pan... you've overcooked them.  They should still look a bit glossy/wet when you plate them, and then they finish cooking on the plate.

What I've learned about eggs for me is that they work a LOT better sunny side up or over-verrrry-easy.  I take them out of the pan the second they're totally firmed up.  They're super easy to chew to oblivion, and the yolk is excellent lubricant to help them go down easy.  :) 

8 hours ago, CJireh said:

@Jen581791I can't even imagine that scrambled eggs wouldn't be the easiest thing to eat.  Boy I do have a lot to learn/experiment with when I am on the other side! :)

I haven't been able to get eggs down since my RNY - regardless of how they're prepared.  :(

7 hours ago, Kio said:

I think part of it is that many people scramble their eggs too hard - it makes them a little chewy, which I can see being a problem.  The official "rule" is that if scrambled eggs look done in the pan... you've overcooked them.  They should still look a bit glossy/wet when you plate them, and then they finish cooking on the plate.

What I've learned about eggs for me is that they work a LOT better sunny side up or over-verrrry-easy.  I take them out of the pan the second they're totally firmed up.  They're super easy to chew to oblivion, and the yolk is excellent lubricant to help them go down easy.  :) 

I'm totally guilty of cooking eggs more than the minimum required. They go down easier if cooked a bit less, but it squicks me out for some reason, unless it's cooked by someone else. A lovely French omelette (they do not believe in overcooking their eggs) is delicious, even if it's pretty soft inside. Not sure why. 

I've always had an aversion to soft eggs.  Right after surgery I was able to slowly eat some of a scrambled egg with about 1/4 cup of milk mixed in.  Now 3 months out, I'm having more difficulty with eggs, they feel very heavy when I eat them, especially when out to eat.  You'd think it would be an easy thing to order, but not so much.  Who knows what oils they are using, etc and then if any part is runny, I'm out.

The eggs that are working the best for me right now are the Starbucks sous vide egg white bites with red pepper.  Pretty tasty and easy to eat.  Tried the whole egg bacon gouda ones once and they were too heavy and greasy.  Red pepper ones are worth a try if you haven't already - soft texture works well.

Edited by kayak19

In contrast to some of you, I have had no problem eating eggs since my surgery.  It is interesting how tastes after surgery can differ.