Sign in to follow this  
Nana Trish

Change in taste/smell

16 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Bad news on the chicken front here;). I loved chicken the first 4 1/2 years!!  Now not so much... I force myself to eat it, but I don't like most options...  this surgery has taken away my love of eating, that's for sure.  I am so with the saying eat to live.  

I've been feeling the "eat to live" motto too. It's weird how much of a change I've experienced in how I view food now. We probably all have. Don't get me wrong, I still have days where my mind goes directly to "omg I need pizza NOW!" when I'm under a lot of stress, but the difference is, I don't do it. It's like my mind has been rewired, and it feels so foreign! But in a great way :) 

But I still hope I don't lose my love of chicken...

Lol, my pizza craving was almost immediately after surgery.  I wasn't even on solid food: cottage cheese, so I'd put a spoon of marinara on it and microwave it a little.  We make our own crust with whole wheat, now.  Once in a while.  When they bring pizza in to work for employees, I grab 2 pieces and go back to the kitchen, pull the cheese and topping off and I have my taste of pizza while dumping the crust in the garbage..

15 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I haven't really experimented with a lot of different foods just yet. I'm 4 months post op as well. I was just sticking to a few basic foods...fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, cheese, yogurt. But now the fish is out for a while, anyway. I haven't tried any fried foods. The smell of fried foods doesn't bother me at all. But I can't imagine trying to eat any. Just the thought of it makes my pouch feel heavy, lol. 

Never been a huge fish fan so haven't tried that but did try some prawns a week ago and that went down... surprisingly problem free. BUT I know what you mean about the fried food - the first time 2 weeks ago I decided to try out a bite of something deep fried was mostly the old craving/love for that stuff saying "what the hell" but by the time the 2nd bite was being chewed I was already feeling so insanely heavy and uncomfortable on the inside I had to make myself throw it up before I felt comfortable. First time that's happened since the op and I aim to keep it that way - no more deep fried for at least a good long while.

Strangely some lightly wok/stir-fried veggies were not a problem :D so I think it's mainly battered and heavily fried and saturated with oiliness that's the problem.

As far as experimenting goes, I just can't help it. I've always been a food loving person, I even love to cook and bake and such and since I'm now on a more controlled and restricted food life, I've been since the end of the 3rd month, slowly but surely sampling all kinds of things in teeny doses, from half a slice of pizza to some chopped chorizo with a little salad to a couple of squares of dark chocolate and so on - just to see how my body reacts to different things now. 

2 hours ago, Aksh said:

Never been a huge fish fan so haven't tried that but did try some prawns a week ago and that went down... surprisingly problem free. BUT I know what you mean about the fried food - the first time 2 weeks ago I decided to try out a bite of something deep fried was mostly the old craving/love for that stuff saying "what the hell" but by the time the 2nd bite was being chewed I was already feeling so insanely heavy and uncomfortable on the inside I had to make myself throw it up before I felt comfortable. First time that's happened since the op and I aim to keep it that way - no more deep fried for at least a good long while.

Strangely some lightly wok/stir-fried veggies were not a problem :D so I think it's mainly battered and heavily fried and saturated with oiliness that's the problem.

As far as experimenting goes, I just can't help it. I've always been a food loving person, I even love to cook and bake and such and since I'm now on a more controlled and restricted food life, I've been since the end of the 3rd month, slowly but surely sampling all kinds of things in teeny doses, from half a slice of pizza to some chopped chorizo with a little salad to a couple of squares of dark chocolate and so on - just to see how my body reacts to different things now. 

I still love to cook and eat well. Just not making very much when I cook!

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:07 AM, Cheesehead said:

Bad news on the chicken front here;). I loved chicken the first 4 1/2 years!!  Now not so much... I force myself to eat it, but I don't like most options...  this surgery has taken away my love of eating, that's for sure.  I am so with the saying eat to live.  

18 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I haven't really experimented with a lot of different foods just yet. I'm 4 months post op as well. I was just sticking to a few basic foods...fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, cheese, yogurt. But now the fish is out for a while, anyway. I haven't tried any fried foods. The smell of fried foods doesn't bother me at all. But I can't imagine trying to eat any. Just the thought of it makes my pouch feel heavy, lol. 

Have you ever done confit chicken? Like confit duck but you can do an affordable version by buying dark meat thighs/legs/drumsticks, covering them in bulk olive oil, and then slow cooking for 3-5 hours at 160-170 in a covered casserole pot. Couldn't be simpler, and if you fish them out of the oil with tongs and put in an airtight container with some of the confit oil to cover (I use a soup ladle), they last for weeks in the fridge. The chicken meat does not absorb the oil, so the meat is still lean, yet is infused with the scent of the herbs and garlic. It's a traditional way to preserve meats used a lot in the past.

GREAT for WLS diet - you just take out the piece you want, crisp the outside in an hot pan to warm it up, and Voila you have super protein ready in 5 minutes. The chilled oil adhering to the chicken piece melts in the pan and is the oil you use for the crisping.  If you are oil-phobic you can wipe or blot the outside with a paper towel and the amount you get is minimal. If chicken skin is on your personal diet you can crisp that in the pan, or if not just not leave it behind. I strain the olive oil after the oven confit, using paper coffee filters, and use it a couple of times. There is no need to use excellent olive oil, the basic stuff works fine. It is just crisped, not fried, in the pan, and the collagen in the usually tougher dark meat has melted into proteinaceous deliciousness.

It is improved a bit by salting the chicken on both sides, with garlic and herbs and leaving in the fridge for a few hours, up to a day, beforehand, but it is not necessary. I do at least a couple of hours but if I am not chicken-brained I try to do it for a day. Another nice thing is that the actual time in the oven is completely hands-free and very forgiving, you can confit with confidence knowing that if you have to run an errand at the last minute it will still be just fine. I'll do 4 or 5 chicken legs at a time using an enamel round pot but any old thing will do. Once or twice a year I will buy 2-3 ducks and confit the legs for cassoulet, but it's a lot of work and ducks are a lot more expensive than chicken. Yes the cassoulet is consumed with fine Burgundy wine, as is the chicken when the diet allows.

This is not done with chicken breasts since, well, they are nearly flavorless compared to dark meat. Perhaps  @Cheesehead and @Trish1967 your tastebuds have moved on to the good stuff, e.g. dark meat. :D chicken breasts do not have collagen that the legs have, and so ... are inferior, at least for confit.

I think it is hilarious that all the weight loss sites use skinless chicken breasts as the meat to eat since it basically tastes like dry sawdust most of the time and helps to ensure that people get tired of an otherwise healthy food.

I agree wholeheartedly @BurgundyBoy re the chicken breast. In my opinion the absolute worst cut of meat from the humble chook.....and completely unforgiving in the cooking, yet always the cut recommended for the diet conscious. I'll use the breast for a parmigiana or a Swiss chicken dish, but neither are particularly diet conscious meals hahaha!!!! I've come to love the thigh meat for most of my cooking, but love the drumstick. Until now I tended to avoid them though because of all the advice to remove the skin for healthy eating. I certainly don't do that these days....I figure given my capacity for only a single drumstick the skin is minimal anyway. I've never tried confit cooking but might give it go when I next have to cook - that's probably about 6 months away for me given the 200+ meals already in my freezer.....yes I was very prepared for my recent surgery knowing I wouldn't be cooking afterwards.

I'm proud to say I've not tried anything yet deep fried or battered. I dumped so easily on sugar that fat just stayed off the menu. I'm not afraid of it from a diet point of view, rather the dumping potential. Last time I dumped I lay down and it was 12 hours before I woke up again.