Sign in to follow this  
Nana Trish

Change in taste/smell

I know it's common after WLS for some people to not like the same foods they did prior to surgery. Tomorrow, I will be 4 months post WLS, and I'm just starting to experience that now. For instance, I used to love salmon. The last couple of times I've eaten it, it tasted fine. But last week, just the smell of it made me sick to the point that I couldn't even put it in my mouth. Last night, I ate a piece of tilapia. The smell completely turned me off, but I ate it anyway. It tasted ok (not great) until the last bite. After that, the after taste made me ill. I had to brush my teeth, gargle with mouthwash AND eat a couple of mints to get rid of it. Is it normal for this to happen so far out from surgery? It seems like the farther out I am, the list of foods I can tolerate is getting smaller and smaller. I didn't think this would be a problem for me, because I liked and could tolerate everything I had eaten prior to surgery up to this point.

5 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I know it's common after WLS for some people to not like the same foods they did prior to surgery. Tomorrow, I will be 4 months post WLS, and I'm just starting to experience that now. For instance, I used to love salmon. The last couple of times I've eaten it, it tasted fine. But last week, just the smell of it made me sick to the point that I couldn't even put it in my mouth. Last night, I ate a piece of tilapia. The smell completely turned me off, but I ate it anyway. It tasted ok (not great) until the last bite. After that, the after taste made me ill. I had to brush my teeth, gargle with mouthwash AND eat a couple of mints to get rid of it. Is it normal for this to happen so far out from surgery? It seems like the farther out I am, the list of foods I can tolerate is getting smaller and smaller. I didn't think this would be a problem for me, because I liked and could tolerate everything I had eaten prior to surgery up to this point.

Gee Trish maybe it is one of your meds or something. Agree with you this seems odd to develop so many months out. Honestly I have not had a change in my senses of smell or taste. 

Maybe since you are becoming more and more perfect, your body is narrowing down on acceptable foods so you will end up eating just Manna, like other Angels. 

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Gee Trish maybe it is one of your meds or something. Agree with you this seems odd to develop so many months out. Honestly I have not had a change in my senses of smell or taste. 

Maybe since you are becoming more and more perfect, your body is narrowing down on acceptable foods so you will end up eating just Manna, like other Angels. 

It would be nice if it was one of my meds, but I am only on one last temporary med, and all of the others I have been on since long before surgery.

I did a little googling today though, and I found out it could possibly be related to Hashimoto's disease. My endocrinologist just had to raise my thyroid hormone dose due to high thyroglobulin levels, which means Hashi's is more active in my body now than it was before. I don't know why. They are also testing for thyroid cancer recurrence, ugh, but I don't think it has come back. Apparently your sense of taste and smell can be affected if you're not properly medicated for Hashi's.

And I think it would be lovely if I could survive on Manna, lol. Who knows, maybe that's God's long term plan for me. I'm far from perfect, although I appreciate the thought behind you saying that to me :) Just to prove I'm not perfect, I'm admitting that I bought some HALO TOP tonight :o God help me!! 

Edited by Trish1967

I used to be ok with salmon but disliked fish (I love shrimp, and crab) now can't do salmon.  And the smell of tuna turns my stomach!  And eggs- I could do them early out but I gag on them now.  They look good but there is no way!  Ate hamburger early out that is also a no go.  

Good luck.

7 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I used to be ok with salmon but disliked fish (I love shrimp, and crab) now can't do salmon.  And the smell of tuna turns my stomach!  And eggs- I could do them early out but I gag on them now.  They look good but there is no way!  Ate hamburger early out that is also a no go.  

Good luck.

So it sounds like your tastes changed later (than immediately post op) as well. It's not a huge loss to me if I can't eat fish again I guess, but it's such a good source of protein...that's the sucky part. I did have shrimp with a touch of cocktail sauce for dinner last night, and it tasted good. It was my first time adding sauce to anything, and it was yummy. Tuna, eww, don't even go there! Smell and taste both make me gag! I'm fine with eggs...some times I add a little bit of ham or fresh parm to them, but I can only eat them scrambled. I can't do hamburger either. The taste and smell of that are fine, but it sits way too heavy in my pouch. I did, however, finally take the plunge and tried Halo Top ice cream last night, for the first and last time. I've been curious about it for a while now, and since it was on sale, I bought some salted caramel flavor. I took out my 1/2c portion. I ate about 2/3 of it (it tasted really good at first). Then it started tasting really sweet as I was finishing up. After about 10 minutes, my heart started pounding and I got jittery and felt like I had just consumed regular ice cream. I never tested my sugar afterward but it felt like it used to when I would eat something high in carbs. So that is a no go too. You never know what you can tolerate unless you test different foods, I guess. I'm kind of glad the Halo Top didn't work out, to be honest...I like that my body doesn't want that kind of food anymore :) 

And some things can be tolerated one day but not the next.. in that case retry a few weeks down the road.  My saying is I ishy fishy.  The smell, the taste!!!i won't cook it at home.  Before we used to go out for fish frys.  I have eaten fried fish in 5 years.  Fried, oil or extra grease makes me sicker than a dog!,  sometimes passing a fast food place with the smell of fried food makes my stomach cartwheel.  

I tried Halo Top and pretty much had the same experience.  I could take or leave ice cream, guessing I'll leave it..

Just now, Cheesehead said:

And some things can be tolerated one day but not the next.. in that case retry a few weeks down the road.  My saying is I ishy fishy.  The smell, the taste!!!i won't cook it at home.  Before we used to go out for fish frys.  I have eaten fried fish in 5 years.  Fried, oil or extra grease makes me sicker than a dog!,  sometimes passing a fast food place with the smell of fried food makes my stomach cartwheel.  

I tried Halo Top and pretty much had the same experience.  I could take or leave ice cream, guessing I'll leave it..

Maybe that's the issue...fine one day, not so much the next. I've gotta tell you, going through the seafood section at the grocery store last night was rough. The smell, just no. I haven't eaten anything fried since before March 16th (the start of my pre op diet), and I don't intend to try. It just sounds nausea inducing. 

As far as the ice cream, I think I really was just curious how my body would react. That was one of my weaknesses pre op, and I think I really wanted to see if I could eat it and walk away. After how it made me feel, I got my answer. No more ice cream addiction :D

I am so put off by fish at this point, I honestly don't think I'll be able to try it again for a good long time, if at all.

Sorry to hear you're having food difficulties, @Trish1967! That's not fun. My food aversions have been there since the beginning, just after surgery, so nothing developing later. A few of mine I've grown accustomed to and can power through the bad taste in order to get the protein in (eggs, nuts). Nothing really makes me feel nauseous, though - just icked out. 

I hope you can get your thyroid stuff all taken care of - sounds like it's a bit of an ongoing battle for you. I'm impressed with your resilience in the face of dealing several health issues all at once. You're a strong lady! :) 

Halo Top. I like it all right, but not enough to bother buying it very often. Good thing, since they don't have it here in Oman! I'll stick with vanilla protein shake blended with frozen fruit to make a milkshake. 

29 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

Sorry to hear you're having food difficulties, @Trish1967! That's not fun. My food aversions have been there since the beginning, just after surgery, so nothing developing later. A few of mine I've grown accustomed to and can power through the bad taste in order to get the protein in (eggs, nuts). Nothing really makes me feel nauseous, though - just icked out. 

I hope you can get your thyroid stuff all taken care of - sounds like it's a bit of an ongoing battle for you. I'm impressed with your resilience in the face of dealing several health issues all at once. You're a strong lady! :) 

Halo Top. I like it all right, but not enough to bother buying it very often. Good thing, since they don't have it here in Oman! I'll stick with vanilla protein shake blended with frozen fruit to make a milkshake. 

Thanks, @Jen581791 :) It's not so much difficulties as wondering if something new happening this far out is normal, lol. I never know what to expect from day to day on this journey! I'm getting tricky at finding new, good sources of protein. Usually good old chicken, turkey breast, eggs, etc. gets me to my 64oz of protein daily. Fish just seems to be a better source, but I don't mind giving it up for now. The smell and taste of the tilapia just made me gag...and the smell in the grocery store was so bad I had to get as far away from it as possible in order to continue shopping. If it is my hashimotos disease causing this, it will hopefully clear itself up after the higher dose of meds kicks in. Unfortunately, hashimotos is an autoimmune disorder, and does not go away when the thyroid is removed, so yeah...it's ongoing. It usually takes 6 weeks for full effect. I guess only time will tell. 

Although I have been wanting to try Halo Top, I only bought it yesterday because it was on sale, lol...so I figured I'd save money on it just in case. I'm going back to my nightly Light and Fit strawberry cheesecake flavored yogurt tonight. Yum :) The protein milk shake sounds pretty good though!!

How is your Oman adventure going?

Edited by Trish1967

15 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

Thanks, @Jen581791 :) It's not so much difficulties as wondering if something new happening this far out is normal, lol. I never know what to expect from day to day on this journey! I'm getting tricky at finding new, good sources of protein. Usually good old chicken, turkey breast, eggs, etc. gets me to my 64oz of protein daily. Fish just seems to be a better source, but I don't mind giving it up for now. The smell and taste of the tilapia just made me gag...and the smell in the grocery store was so bad I had to get as far away from it as possible in order to continue shopping. If it is my hashimotos disease causing this, it will hopefully clear itself up after the higher dose of meds kicks in. Unfortunately, hashimotos is an autoimmune disorder, and does not go away when the thyroid is removed, so yeah...it's ongoing. It usually takes 6 weeks for full effect. I guess only time will tell. 

Although I have been wanting to try Halo Top, I only bought it yesterday because it was on sale, lol...so I figured I'd save money on it just in case. I'm going back to my nightly Light and Fit strawberry cheesecake flavored yogurt tonight. Yum :) The protein milk shake sounds pretty good though!!

How is your Oman adventure going?

Hashimoto's does not sound fun. I hope you and your team can get it under control, and I also hope that getting it under control will help your taste get back to normal. It's hard to be limited in your protein options (...and that's why I'm eating fish now, after being a vegetarian for 15 years. I hear you on the grocery store fish smell :wacko:). 

The protein milk shakes are a nice treat. The frozen berries are enough to make the texture thick like a regular milk shake. 

Oman is going really well! My new students are SO NICE, almost painfully polite and respectful, but still fun. We had to go to the library this week, and since they know I'm new and don't know the campus very well, they sent a student to my office to get me and show me the way! (campus is big) It was sooooooo thoughtful. Especially so since they're freshmen and have no idea where they're going on campus, either! Very sweet. My new colleagues are really friendly and helpful, too. I'm very happy with the move.

Just now, Jen581791 said:

Oman is going really well! My new students are SO NICE, almost painfully polite and respectful, but still fun. We had to go to the library this week, and since they know I'm new and don't know the campus very well, they sent a student to my office to get me and show me the way! (campus is big) It was sooooooo thoughtful. Especially so since they're freshmen and have no idea where they're going on campus, either! Very sweet. My new colleagues are really friendly and helpful, too. I'm very happy with the move.

I'm so glad to hear that!! We need more painfully polite and respectful folks in this world!! Lol :) That's awesome that they sent a student guide to help you out...I can't even imagine doing what you're doing!! It's got to be tough being in a foreign country trying to find your way around a new campus. You're such an inspiration, and so brave! Being happy with your move is great, and must be so satisfying :) 

Yes, Hashimotos is a challenge. Getting it under control may be a challenge as well, because I was already on a high dose of thyroid hormone prior to this, and very, very suppressed. Thyroid cancer patients have to stay suppressed in order to keep the thyroid tissue from regrowing, but I can also become over suppressed if we aren't careful. Not much wiggle room with my meds, so it should be yet another adventure :huh: Everything is a process, isn't it? Thanks so much for your concern :wub:

4 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

Maybe that's the issue...fine one day, not so much the next. I've gotta tell you, going through the seafood section at the grocery store last night was rough. The smell, just no. I haven't eaten anything fried since before March 16th (the start of my pre op diet), and I don't intend to try. It just sounds nausea inducing. 

As far as the ice cream, I think I really was just curious how my body would react. That was one of my weaknesses pre op, and I think I really wanted to see if I could eat it and walk away. After how it made me feel, I got my answer. No more ice cream addiction :D

I am so put off by fish at this point, I honestly don't think I'll be able to try it again for a good long time, if at all.

I agree the smell in the seafood section is enough to knock your socks off!  I find smells alone sometimes do me in.  I find dill or pickled anything is also a big no!  And immediately after surgery I craved pickles ( while on my soft phase-I was actually peeling spears and I'd drink a tablespoon of pickle juice-I came to the conclusion it was sodium withdrawal).  I think my gag reflex and senseof smell has definately changed...

Edited by Cheesehead

14 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I agree the smell in the seafood section is enough to knock your socks off!  I find smells alone sometimes do me in.  I find dill or pickled anything is also a big no!  And immediately after surgery I craved pickles ( while on my soft phase-I was actually peeling spears and I'd drink a tablespoon of pickle juice-I came to the conclusion it was sodium withdrawal).  I think my gag reflex and senseof smell has definately changed...

It's the whole sense of smell thing for me too lately. I've had a heightened sense of smell for a few months now, but this is a whole new level of nasty...God forbid a skunk wanders by outside! That's bad enough with a regular sniffer, lol. It almost reminds me of being pregnant...ahhhh!! 

Craving pickles definitely sounds like sodium withdrawal to me. Did the pickle juice help? I didn't really go through sodium withdrawal. Probably partially because I wasn't a big salt person pre op, and partly because my pre op diet was extremely low sodium. Now CARB withdrawal on the other hand, I was like a junkie looking for a fix! Horrible :unsure: I'm so glad that has passed!

Yes, the pickles and pickle juice helped.  I used to salt everything-cheese, watermelon...everything.  Now I barely touch it.  I hadn't realized how much I used!  I rarely fill the salt shaker any more..

@Cheesehead, the only things I used to use salt on were baked potatoes (drenched in butter and sour cream with bacon bits, of course, lol). Sometimes homemade French fries. That was about it. Between high blood pressure, and water retention, it just wasn't worth it. My hubby uses salt when he cooks, so I guess I get more salt than I think I do. But still not much.

Sorry you experienced that with the fish, @Trish1967. That is the very same reaction I have to protein shakes...gag just thinking about it...lol! I'm just curious how you get in all the 80g of protein a day. I still can't get over the 40g hump and I feel like I eat constantly. I'm officially going to turn into a chicken one day since that is a huge part of what I eat. 

I also have an incredible sense of smell - heightened even higher the I was pre-op. My husband gets so annoyed with me cuz i make him take the trash out every day vs when bag is full. Poor guy...so used and abused :P! And I chuckled when you mentioned skunks as we have a somewhat annoying skunk issue around us....man those critters stinkkkkk! 

21 minutes ago, Trish13 said:

Sorry you experienced that with the fish, @Trish1967. That is the very same reaction I have to protein shakes...gag just thinking about it...lol! I'm just curious how you get in all the 80g of protein a day. I still can't get over the 40g hump and I feel like I eat constantly. I'm officially going to turn into a chicken one day since that is a huge part of what I eat. 

I also have an incredible sense of smell - heightened even higher the I was pre-op. My husband gets so annoyed with me cuz i make him take the trash out every day vs when bag is full. Poor guy...so used and abused :P! And I chuckled when you mentioned skunks as we have a somewhat annoying skunk issue around us....man those critters stinkkkkk! 

Hi Trish :) 

I'll get over the gross fish thing eventually, I think, lol. My surgeon expects 64g of protein or more. I meet that goal most days. I don't think 80g is happening anytime soon, lol. I don't do protein shakes, so it's a little harder to meet my goals. I am just now able to get 4 ounces of food per meal and one yogurt as a snack. I'm sticking to the 3oz of protein for now, and finally adding in an ounce of veggie, which I've been needing to do. I've also got to start getting more fiber in there, somehow. So it's definitely a work in progress! And yes, I may turn into a chicken as well :P

Skunks...ahh...eww! We have a lot of them around here, and with this whole heightened sense of smell thing, it really makes me want to vomit :( I've been taking my trash out everyday too...and since we have started eating more fresh veggies now, if I don't take it out daily that's all I can smell, lol.

Trish1967,

Have you tried an unflavoured protein powder?  

Following a knee replacement surgery that didn't go so well, my DH was very weak and not eating too well.  I tried him on various protein powders that I already had but he couldn't handle any of them and flatly refused to try it again.  But one of the medical team suggested I try him on Isopure Whey Protein Isolate (Isopure Whey Protein Isolate) - not as a glass of protein shake but to add just a couple of teaspoons in all of his drinks (milk with DaVinci sf syrup, Crystal Light, diluted OJ etc. etc.). 

1 scoop (29g) is about 5 level tsp has 25g protein, 0 carbs or sugars.

Anyway, long story short, within a week he was feeling a great deal better (but none the wiser about me slipping the protein powder into his fluids).

46 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Trish1967,

Following a knee replacement surgery that didn't go so well, my DH was very weak and not eating too well.  I tried him on various protein powders that I already had but he couldn't handle any of them and flatly refused to try it again.  But one of the medical team suggested I try him on Isopure Whey Protein Isolate (Isopure Whey Protein Isolate) - not as a glass of protein shake but to add just a couple of teaspoons in all of his drinks (milk with DaVinci sf syrup, Crystal Light, diluted OJ etc. etc.). 

Anyway, long story short, within a week he was feeling a great deal better (but none the wiser about me slipping the protein powder into his fluids).

Sneaky you - hidden protein. Good job taking care of him, though, even if he didn't know it :) 

The good news Trish is that according to this study published in PubMed  "Patients who experienced food aversions experienced more postoperative weight loss and reduction in BMI, compared to their counterparts without these features."  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24610456

4 hours ago, cinwa said:

Trish1967,

@cinwa,

I haven't tried any protein powders yet. I haven't been too worried about my protein intake at the moment because I'm getting in the 64g the surgeon said was necessary. My daughters friend's mother had her bypass 14 months ago, and she had some leftover Unjury chicken flavored protein powder. She gave it to me to try when I was sick a couple of weeks ago. I figured I might try it in some broth at some point if I need a protein boost. 

3 hours ago, cinwa said:

The good news Trish is that according to this study published in PubMed  "Patients who experienced food aversions experienced more postoperative weight loss and reduction in BMI, compared to their counterparts without these features."  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24610456

This is good news :) I'm about 57 pounds away from the goal I set for myself. Anything that helps get me there and keeps me there is fine! Even food aversions. If I ever stop being able to tolerate chicken, though, I'm screwed. Lol ;)

1 hour ago, Trish1967 said:

@cinwa,

I haven't tried any protein powders yet. I haven't been too worried about my protein intake at the moment because I'm getting in the 64g the surgeon said was necessary. My daughters friend's mother had her bypass 14 months ago, and she had some leftover Unjury chicken flavored protein powder. She gave it to me to try when I was sick a couple of weeks ago. I figured I might try it in some broth at some point if I need a protein boost. 

This is good news :) I'm about 57 pounds away from the goal I set for myself. Anything that helps get me there and keeps me there is fine! Even food aversions. If I ever stop being able to tolerate chicken, though, I'm screwed. Lol ;)

Bad news on the chicken front here;). I loved chicken the first 4 1/2 years!!  Now not so much... I force myself to eat it, but I don't like most options...  this surgery has taken away my love of eating, that's for sure.  I am so with the saying eat to live.  

10 hours ago, Trish13 said:

I know I responded to you...I can't find the response!!! I'm sorry...I'm looking for it, lol

Edited by Trish1967

Can't say my tastes have changed all that much BUT I can't stand heavily/deep fried food. At 4 months post op I can eat just about anything now and have experimented a fair bit - but anythings that battered and deep fried, nope, two bites in something just feels wrong in me.

6 hours ago, Aksh said:

Can't say my tastes have changed all that much BUT I can't stand heavily/deep fried food. At 4 months post op I can eat just about anything now and have experimented a fair bit - but anythings that battered and deep fried, nope, two bites in something just feels wrong in me.

I haven't really experimented with a lot of different foods just yet. I'm 4 months post op as well. I was just sticking to a few basic foods...fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, cheese, yogurt. But now the fish is out for a while, anyway. I haven't tried any fried foods. The smell of fried foods doesn't bother me at all. But I can't imagine trying to eat any. Just the thought of it makes my pouch feel heavy, lol.