Sally L

Dealing with Emotional Eating

HI All,

I know that I am an emotional eater. I was wondering if anybody has some good ideas on how to deal with emotional eating after bypass surgery?  Thanks

Many, if not most, of us here at TTF were emotional eaters.  We ate food for comfort, to get over emotional pain, and to make ourselves feel better.  Weight loss surgery forces you to eat a fairly strict diet, especially for the first few months, and that is a great time to adjust to the idea that unhealthy food is not a source of comfort, but instead is the cause of being overweight and all the problems that go with this.

Everyone gets rid of their prior bad food habit in their own way.  Some people go to therapy.  For me it was the realization that food was not my friend and was not a long term source of comfort.  Instead food was the source of my being grossly overweight and unhealthy.  When I had my surgery, I told myself that a failure to lose all of my excess weight and keep it off was not an option, and thus I have adjusted to a healthy diet (with a little chocolate each day since life without chocolate is just unacceptable to me :D).  I truly do not miss my old unhealthy diet and wonder why I ever allowed myself to view food as a source of emotional support.

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

We are here to support you.

Thanks, I love "Nothing takes as good as skinny feels" that really resonates with me.

This is something I still work through on an almost daily basis. Even when I physically cannot eat over something, I find myself ferreting around for something to chew on. I usually catch myself, but not always. I know I didn't get to 315 lbs. by accident. Denial of my overarching anxiety and how I use food to cope is insidious in my case. Substitution, appropriate medication, and therapy are the only things that have helped. I'm still making afghans like some old lady in a third world country cranking out doilies for 3 cents a piece.

I fear new addictions - I am definitely THAT guy. I really like Res Ispa's take: make a decision to get off all the weight and never go back. I am more of a work in progress, but I strive for lifetime success. As much as my hospital's monthly bariatric support group bugs the crap out of me at times, it does help to be face to face with other people dealing with the same issues and experience them being triumphant long-term.

1 hour ago, slars04 said:

This is something I still work through on an almost daily basis. Even when I physically cannot eat over something, I find myself ferreting around for something to chew on. I usually catch myself, but not always. I know I didn't get to 315 lbs. by accident. Denial of my overarching anxiety and how I use food to cope is insidious in my case. Substitution, appropriate medication, and therapy are the only things that have helped. I'm still making afghans like some old lady in a third world country cranking out doilies for 3 cents a piece.

I fear new addictions - I am definitely THAT guy. I really like Res Ispa's take: make a decision to get off all the weight and never go back. I am more of a work in progress, but I strive for lifetime success. As much as my hospital's monthly bariatric support group bugs the crap out of me at times, it does help to be face to face with other people dealing with the same issues and experience them being triumphant long-term.

slars I have this image of all of us gnawing on a chew-toy like your dog does! Woof, sign me up!

The Duchess of Windsor famously said something along  the lines of, "You can't be too thin or too rich." I don't like that saying anywhere near as much as the "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" phrase. But maybe WLS would be more popular if we could calculate how much LESS you spend over time and LONGER you live healthily, and monetarized the benefits....

1 hour ago, slars04 said:

I fear new addictions - I am definitely THAT guy. I really like Res Ispa's take: make a decision to get off all the weight and never go back. 

Remember - failure is not an option. You can do it, and we are here to support you. 

34 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

Remember - failure is not an option. You can do it, and we are here to support you. 

@Res Ipsa

Those are stirring words, ones like Leonidas addressing the Spartans before Thermopylae; for certainly failure was not an option there either. 

So after all this, I had a bad weekend with food. Not so much quantity, but quality, which is a slippery slope for me. I just had surgery on my left foot Tuesday and I did waaaaay too much afterward. I had the same surgery 2 months ago on my right foot and I was much more cautious: resting, icing, and I developed scar tissue in the joint. I asked the doctor to break it up while I was under for this one - Lord knows I didn't want to do that when I was awake - and I think I'm upset with myself for letting the right foot get like that.

I know that regular physical activity will help tremendously with anxiety and mood. Thankfully, I will be able to move around so much better after I heal, in about 6 weeks. Who knew I had a congenital defect? I put up with unnecessary pain for at least 20 years; my doc had to put pins in my feet for Goodness sake! I thought they hurt solely because I was fat. And honestly, a lot of my medical problems were because of my obesity, but not all of them. It's strange how at almost twice my current size, people didn't see or hear me. To be fair, I didn't advocate much for myself because I felt embarrassed about my appearance and like such a failure overall.

I am not a fan of asking for help or looking at my limitations. UGH. I do not have a good idea of what a human's normal capacity for activity and is, and how much down time I need. I don't usually think I am doing enough and I do not take care of my body and mind the way I should. Read "relaxation without guilt." I had these issues before WLS, but now I have to deal with them or gain weight, or be thin but unhealthy. Double UGH.

Defeat is not an option, though. Right? B)