Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I should not try to justify what I have done. The fact is, I have had popcorn on 3 of the 7 days of what should have been my 14 days of clear liquids prior to my surgery.  "Whats done is done", but I am wondering if I should confess this to my doctor's office.  This office has had me on liquid diets #3 times for one week each time. My surgery date has been changed for one reason or another each time by the doctor. This time I am set for the surgery on August 7th and low and behold look what I did!!!! 

What thoughts do you guys have?  Is silence golden or is it a reason to confess? Tomorrow is a new day and determination will be my motto. I will be perfect on bone broth, shakes, sugar free jello, and sugar free popcycles!!! Scouts honor!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'd probably let the surgeon's office know just in case, but I suspect it won't make a difference if you do, indeed, stay on the prescribed diet for the next week.

What concerns me, I guess, is that you're having some difficulties  following doctor's orders right now, just before surgery. How would you rate your level of commitment to staying 100% on track for the next month or two or three or more? If you're having doubts, I think this is what you should talk to someone about - the food stages aren't easy to get through, but they're so important for your recovery. It's not like cheating on a diet - you can really mess up your guts. I honestly don't want to sound judgmental, just cautious about your medical needs. You at least need to figure out some coping mechanisms that will work for you (goodness knows we all need coping mechanisms).

Link to post
Share on other sites

You probably do not need to confess, but you 100 percent need to get all popcorn and unhealthy food out of your house right now.

Is popcorn or any other food really worth a life of being overweight?  It really is true that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. 

We are here to support you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on my 2 week liquid diet and fortunately for me this first week I was allowed one small meal a day..  Starting tomorrow it's all liquid.  I don't think I would say anything about the popcorn since it was the first week, but I would definitely be following Drs. Orders until the surgery from here till the big day !  Good luck

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, get anything tempting out of the house.  I saw on a thread here that people throw junk food in the garbage and put dish soap on it.  

You need to follow your surgeons plan.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally would own it and tell the surgeon the truth. If you trust your surgeon then you know she/he is on your side and has your best interest in mind. If she/he doesn't want to operate because of the popcorn just take it as a reminder to stay on track for the next time. Don't beat yourself but be honest with yourself up just move forward.

I had some food funerals before my preop but once the two week liquid diet started I stuck to the rules until I was at goal for quite a while.  I got to goal in less than 9 months and have been here for 18 months. Now I will occasionally have a cookie or 2-3 tortilla chips when I eat out for Mexican food but that's maybe once a month or so.  I stick to the rules because I'm determined not to go back and I've seen too many people at support groups who never got to goal or have gained most or all their weight back. 

 

 

Edited by Raeme
Grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 9:03 PM, Jen581791 said:

I think I'd probably let the surgeon's office know just in case, but I suspect it won't make a difference if you do, indeed, stay on the prescribed diet for the next week.

What concerns me, I guess, is that you're having some difficulties  following doctor's orders right now, just before surgery. How would you rate your level of commitment to staying 100% on track for the next month or two or three or more? If you're having doubts, I think this is what you should talk to someone about - the food stages aren't easy to get through, but they're so important for your recovery. It's not like cheating on a diet - you can really mess up your guts. I honestly don't want to sound judgmental, just cautious about your medical needs. You at least need to figure out some coping mechanisms that will work for you (goodness knows we all need coping mechanisms).

It is as if you were inside my head looking out!! These things were and are my fear when I am at the"low side of positive". I  told my doctor during my visit with him last Tuesday and I also told him I was scheduled with a therapist who is specialized in food disorders. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have stayed offline intentional this week. I am here to 'report' that I took ALL of your comments with thought and now I say THANKS! You are the greatest.  I ended up 'fessing up to Dr. Kindbutserious.  I had my visit with him Tuesday and now I am ready to go!! Tomorrow is my due date.  I will be checking these boards and enjoy reading everyones posts.  I am so glad I found this site for support. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cadoodle, awesome!  Good luck tomorrow!  

Stick to your plan!  You can do it!  Hoping you have a smooth and easy recovery!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cadoodle said:

It is as if you were inside my head looking out!! These things were and are my fear when I am at the"low side of positive". I  told my doctor during my visit with him last Tuesday and I also told him I was scheduled with a therapist who is specialized in food disorders. 

So glad to hear that you are addressing your issues head-on. I wish you the very best of luck and I look forward to hearing how it went! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best wishes for tomorrow! Can't wait to hear how it went.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck today !!  Let us know how you are doing when you have a chance..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I am sitting in admissions waiting and looking around at all the other people waiting. This hospital not just for bariactrics of course, but I can't believe how many of them are obese! I mean this is a wake up call of the fact that obesity is so bad for our overall health!!  

Thanks again for the support and yes I will check in with you all later!! 

I hope for a good day for you and I know you too are READY to get this rolling! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2017 at 9:24 AM, Cadoodle said:

I have stayed offline intentional this week. I am here to 'report' that I took ALL of your comments with thought and now I say THANKS! You are the greatest.  I ended up 'fessing up to Dr. Kindbutserious.  I had my visit with him Tuesday and now I am ready to go!! Tomorrow is my due date.  I will be checking these boards and enjoy reading everyones posts.  I am so glad I found this site for support. 

 

Best of luck with your surgery. 

re: your dietary indiscretions... Well, no one died. And you recognized the issue and posted about it and talked to your surgeon. Sounds pretty responsible to me, but then perhaps you otherwise live a dangerously wild life ... ;) the Art of Weight Loss does not require perfection, it requires intent, pretty good adherence, and personal responsibility and honesty. 

While confession is good for the soul... it may be even better for being a reminder of how important mindfulness is. I find that when i tell others about how I could have done better... I try to do better. So good for you! 

Again, best of luck! Let us know how things go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

 the Art of Weight Loss does not require perfection, it requires intent, pretty good adherence, and personal responsibility and honesty. 

 

I think this sums it up for me. Pre-WLS my pursuit of perfection with a strict diet when I was losing or trying to lose always ended up backfiring on me. Post-op, when I choose to eat things not on plan or simply make a bad decision, I acknowledge it to myself and then move on. If I allow myself to stress over it, it just makes me want to eat more of the foods that got me fat in the first place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stephtay said:

I think this sums it up for me. Pre-WLS my pursuit of perfection with a strict diet when I was losing or trying to lose always ended up backfiring on me. Post-op, when I choose to eat things not on plan or simply make a bad decision, I acknowledge it to myself and then move on. If I allow myself to stress over it, it just makes me want to eat more of the foods that got me fat in the first place. 

I am going to use this strategy as well. I know that I am not and will not ever be perfect. I hope to change my lifestyle and make better choices, I am so new that I realize I will have bumps in the road,  how I handle those peaks and valleys will determine success. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry as I like to joke , perhaps too much. My first thought when I saw this thread " Popcorn is my problem", I thought geez, Popcorn is not the issue with me, it is the amount of extra butter that I lather on and the huge portion I eat, I am sorry if some take offense to that, but was my initial thought. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...