Jump to content

Off to join a gym


Recommended Posts

It's not the gym of my choice but I've heard great things about their childcare. Yay! Another plus is that it has parking, which is a rarity in my neck of the woods.

With childcare, I have no excuse to stay at home on my butt. Any suggestions on workouts? Links to workout plans? I haven't done any real exercise in a while, so keep that in mind. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggest alternating cardio with strength... starting with low weight repetitions when it comes to arms and legs. If you end up with painful achy limbs when you start out, you might only return with reluctance.... Core, abdominals, ... and stretch a bit afterwards. For cardio do whatever doesn't bore you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you! Pat yourself on the back each and every time you go in the gym door.

Exercise recommendations - can of worms! I think this is an area where people are just as opinionated, and have as a wide a variety of opinions, with as much evidence of both the anecdotal and the experimental types to back them, as diet! 

Starting slow, alternating cardio and strength, as @BurgundyBoy says, is very reasonable. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend starting with a trainer if you can.  I had not been in a gym forever and was mightily intimidated by the whole thing.  I found a trainer who is working on a Masters in Kinesiology.  She instructed me on all the machines and came up with a tailored work-out that targeted areas I wanted to work on without straining/injuring my worn out old-lady parts (shoulders/neck).  It made it much easier to go there initially, knowing I was meeting someone who would help me.  The "fat girl humiliated in gym class" still talks to me sometimes and tells me everyone is laughing at me but fortunately I'm stronger than she is :)

I worked with the trainer for a couple of months, until I felt comfortable on my own.  I alternate cardio with strength/flexibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that no 2 answers to your question will look exactly the same. I can tell you what has worked for me but truthfully, the best exercise routine is the one that you'll consistently do.

I kept waiting for exercise to become "fun" and "enjoyable" as so many fit people profess it does once you "get used to it".....yeh, no. At least not for me. Although I enjoy things that have the side benefit of exercise like hiking or playing a sport, I don't enjoy exercising for exercise sake. It's not fun or even mildly enjoyable to me. You know what's really fun?.....naps.

I'll just say it flat out; I hate exercise.......but I LOVE the results. I love how it makes my body look and feel. Like everything else I do to take care of my body, I workout...a lot. I don't enjoy going to the dentist or getting mammograms either but I tolerate it because I love having teeth and boobies.

My albeit humble advice: Getting fit is a long game so find what you can tolerate and stick to it. What you do isn't as important as doing it consistently.

Edited by Jabsie
Link to post
Share on other sites

The best exercise is the exercise you'll actually do. Try all kinds of things until you find something that thrills you. I love classes, because the music & energy of the other people helps me work out much longer than I would alone. Each class has it's own feel so keep searching until you find the right fit. Good for you!

Edited by Gretta
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, msmarymac said:

I would recommend starting with a trainer if you can.

I felt the same way as you mentioned in your post. I've picked out a trainer in my area that has great word-of-mouth recommendations, and plan to use him for a few months, after surgery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love bodybuilding.com - the name is kinda intense, but they have a TON of free plans for males and females that involve both cardio and weights, and videos to watch to help with form. It's at least a place to play around and look at plans :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely start with a trainer if you can. Having someone to watch your form, make adjustments and recommendations and hold you accountable is priceless. Plus, if you find one you really like, it's like working out with a really knowledgeable friend. And depending on your personality, if they also are nice to look at, it's an added bonus. I tease my trainer (who's also one of my good friends) that it's a good thing he's hot because there are days that looking at him is the only reason I go to the gym. 

Other suggestion: find a class or activity that you really enjoy since that will also make getting in the habit of going to the gym easier. I've fallen in love with Jiu Jitsu and between that, my sessions with my trainer and hiking, it's easy to be active almost every day.

Edited by athenarose
Autocorrect hates me
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only exercise I can do so far is walking...I'm up to just over a half mile at a time, sitting once during the walk. I would LOVE to be in good enough shape to start at a gym, so I really hope you find some exercises you like, and really enjoy it!! I'm a bit (ok, a lot) envious of you!!

I did something supremely stupid today that makes me want to be able to work out even more...I have not been able to get down on the floor for years, and I've been dying to sit with my grandson and play on the floor. My knees, hips and back were NOT prepared, and the pain I encountered while on the way down...OWWW!! But I sat there for about 20 minutes and played with him. Then I thought, how the heck am I going to get back up?!? It took 15 minutes because my hip locked up, and it wasn't pretty. So I say...any exercise you can do that keeps your body from ending up like mine is good exercise!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

The only exercise I can do so far is walking...I'm up to just over a half mile at a time, sitting once during the walk. I would LOVE to be in good enough shape to start at a gym, so I really hope you find some exercises you like, and really enjoy it!! I'm a bit (ok, a lot) envious of you!!

I did something supremely stupid today that makes me want to be able to work out even more...I have not been able to get down on the floor for years, and I've been dying to sit with my grandson and play on the floor. My knees, hips and back were NOT prepared, and the pain I encountered while on the way down...OWWW!! But I sat there for about 20 minutes and played with him. Then I thought, how the heck am I going to get back up?!? It took 15 minutes because my hip locked up, and it wasn't pretty. So I say...any exercise you can do that keeps your body from ending up like mine is good exercise!!!!!

re: the floor: No good deeds go unpunished. :wacko: I can't believe you are up to an half mile from not being able to do your driveway (e.g., 1 Trish unit). What are you, determined or persistent or something like that?! ;) [Trish this is a sidebar conversation, but if your lazy no-good scallawag near-useless children have not yet marked off your walking route in Trish units, get those rascals to measure your driveway in feet so you will know what One Trish Unit is. Then you can tell us how many Trishes you are walking these days by dividing your half miles by Trish Units. There is no reason you can't be famous here for discovering a new unit of measure.]

and back to the points by the others: it is so true that doing something that you will do everyday is the key. I cycle or i swim most days and those are so easy for me it is like falling onto the couch. My gym is < 10 minutes away, as is the Minuteman Bike Path. The great thing about exercise with friends, or a trainer, is the expectation of participation, of personal accountability and comraderie.  So many times I go to the gym hoping to see someone I have come to know... And let us celebrate the aspect of eye candy, as @athenarose points out.  Whatever gets us to the gym is good, be it the carnal or the prosaic. I vote for all of us having eye candy in daily life as it makes everything more beautiful.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

I'm up to just over a half mile at a time

Trish, you're doing half miles now!! That's so great :D:D:D 

Do you have a physical therapist who could advise you techniques for getting down to the floor and back up off it again more comfortably? I'm sure with a really specific goal in mind like that (and the motivation of playing with the baby) you and a PT could find a way to work toward that milestone without making you feel awful. 

Regardless, you are making such meaningful progress! Good for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

The only exercise I can do so far is walking...I'm up to just over a half mile at a time, sitting once during the walk. I would LOVE to be in good enough shape to start at a gym, so I really hope you find some exercises you like, and really enjoy it!! I'm a bit (ok, a lot) envious of you!!

I did something supremely stupid today that makes me want to be able to work out even more...I have not been able to get down on the floor for years, and I've been dying to sit with my grandson and play on the floor. My knees, hips and back were NOT prepared, and the pain I encountered while on the way down...OWWW!! But I sat there for about 20 minutes and played with him. Then I thought, how the heck am I going to get back up?!? It took 15 minutes because my hip locked up, and it wasn't pretty. So I say...any exercise you can do that keeps your body from ending up like mine is good exercise!!!!!

Go Trish go! So wonderful to hear you're becoming more and more mobile.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the advice and thoughts. The gym itself is not aesthetically beautiful and there was ZERO eye candy. :blink: In fact, it was kind of dumpy. However, it is functional and it has perks that will get my butt to the gym. The children's area is wonderful and I couldn't be happier. Knowing that my daughter is well taken care of is fantastic. Did I mention parking? Parking!! This will be wonderful in the winter when I am freezing my bits off. 

I'm shy about getting a trainer because I'm woefully out of shape. I'm also a bit of an introvert. Well, more anti-social but you get the point. I'll try to work up the courage to get a trainer.

I do expect to see @BurgundyBoy on the Minuteman Trail one of these days. I walk there with a friend at least once a week. At the rate he is shrinking, I might not recognize him! :D

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

Thanks everyone for the advice and thoughts. The gym itself is not aesthetically beautiful and there was ZERO eye candy. :blink: In fact, it was kind of dumpy. However, it is functional and it has perks that will get my butt to the gym. The children's area is wonderful and I couldn't be happier. Knowing that my daughter is well taken care of is fantastic. Did I mention parking? Parking!! This will be wonderful in the winter when I am freezing my bits off. 

I'm shy about getting a trainer because I'm woefully out of shape. I'm also a bit of an introvert. Well, more anti-social but you get the point. I'll try to work up the courage to get a trainer.

I do expect to see @BurgundyBoy on the Minuteman Trail one of these days. I walk there with a friend at least once a week. At the rate he is shrinking, I might not recognize him! :D

 

 

@NerdyLady there is a coffee place near the Trader Joe's in Arlington, near the Trail. I'll be the guy in Lycra with bat wings, belly wrinkles and an exaggerated sense of his speed. Will be back from vacation in a few weeks and we can grab that cup of coffee we talked about before!

I used to go the Y in West Roxbury when I lived there... no eye candy, but lots of neighbors who I got to know much better. It was the best gym I ever went to because it was a place for everyone. My wife loved it too. There was a guy with Tourette's syndrome who used to curse and swear involuntarily... and we all ignored it. No one ever mentioned it once in the 15 years I went there. The local police captain used to work out with people he had put away, but after they had paid their debt to society everything was square. It was an home away from home after a while. AND THEY HAD PARKING!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@BurgundyBoy I meet my friend at the Starbucks next to that Trader Joe's every Friday, so that sounds perfect. I am mortified that I didn't follow up with you. Coffee is on me!

Parking is now my fantasy. I'm trying to channel my food addiction into satisfaction with finding a good parking location. :D I'm going to work on loving the gym. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@BurgundyBoy I meet my friend at the Starbucks next to that Trader Joe's every Friday, so that sounds perfect. I am mortified that I didn't follow up with you. Coffee is on me!

Parking is now my fantasy. I'm trying to channel my food addiction into satisfaction with finding a good parking location. :D I'm going to work on loving the gym. 

 

Ah, the mortification is mine... (Sounds very Spanish Inquisition, doesn't it?) Now I am sorry I can't drink those coffees that cost $10 each if you are buying. Darn!

Here's hoping your new gym works out. It makes such a difference to be in a place that feels good. As so many have said, the best gym is the one you go back to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

Thanks everyone for the advice and thoughts. The gym itself is not aesthetically beautiful and there was ZERO eye candy. :blink: In fact, it was kind of dumpy. However, it is functional and it has perks that will get my butt to the gym. The children's area is wonderful and I couldn't be happier. Knowing that my daughter is well taken care of is fantastic. Did I mention parking? Parking!! This will be wonderful in the winter when I am freezing my bits off. 

I'm shy about getting a trainer because I'm woefully out of shape. I'm also a bit of an introvert. Well, more anti-social but you get the point. I'll try to work up the courage to get a trainer.

I do expect to see @BurgundyBoy on the Minuteman Trail one of these days. I walk there with a friend at least once a week. At the rate he is shrinking, I might not recognize him! :D

 

 

Dude, I'm a total introvert and anti-social (or as I prefer to call it, selectively social). I used my friend connections to find my trainer and my Jiu Jitsu class (my other good friend is the instructor). That's precisely why I workout with my trainer- if there are other people around, no one talks to me *and* 90% of the time, we're the only people in the gym (it's a small, boutique type gym) and my Jiu Jitsu class is generally 3 or 4 people. It's glorious. I wish you could come work out at my gym. I bet you'd love it.

That all aside, I love that you see the perks of your gym. If those things motivate you, then, awesome!  A safe, fun place for your daughter is a huge perk. 

If you're still looking for workouts, check on Pinterest. There's tons of ideas on there. But other than that, what are your goals? Any particular areas you want to focus on? If you have specific goal in mind, it's easier to tailor workouts to make sure you're working towards it.

Edited by athenarose
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

Go Trish go! So wonderful to hear you're becoming more and more mobile.

Thank you, @Smashlee83!! I'm doing my best to go out of my comfort zone and trying new things...and I just want to be able to get down on Harper's level and play!! But my body isn't ready for that, so I'll stick to walking...for now :) I'm in so much pain today, it's not even funny, but I'll get there at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

Trish, you're doing half miles now!! That's so great :D:D:D 

Do you have a physical therapist who could advise you techniques for getting down to the floor and back up off it again more comfortably? I'm sure with a really specific goal in mind like that (and the motivation of playing with the baby) you and a PT could find a way to work toward that milestone without making you feel awful. 

Regardless, you are making such meaningful progress! Good for you.

@Jen581791, I'm planning on going to PT at some point in the future, just not yet. I've got arthritis in both knees. I can handle the arthritis pain most days (but I REALLY miss Advil :(). But my left knee...there is more going on in there than just arthritis. I think I'm looking at an MRI for that. I've also got loads of arthritis in my back and hips, and my hip has been catching a lot lately, making my leg almost immobile. Once I figure out what's going on, I will definitely be going to PT. I want to be in onderland before I start getting into testing, etc...I'm hoping more weight loss will help everything. But I already know it won't help my left knee. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trish1967 said:

@Jen581791, I'm planning on going to PT at some point in the future, just not yet. I've got arthritis in both knees. I can handle the arthritis pain most days (but I REALLY miss Advil :(). But my left knee...there is more going on in there than just arthritis. I think I'm looking at an MRI for that. I've also got loads of arthritis in my back and hips, and my hip has been catching a lot lately, making my leg almost immobile. Once I figure out what's going on, I will definitely be going to PT. I want to be in onderland before I start getting into testing, etc...I'm hoping more weight loss will help everything. But I already know it won't help my left knee. 

I won't "like" that post, as it's got a lot of pain in it, but I will say that you are doing a great job of taking care of yourself in the ways that you need to. Anything further that you have to have done to knees or hips, you will thank yourself for having lost a bunch of weight when it's recovery time, I'm absolutely sure. Keep up your hard work and remember to thank yourself for making the decisions you have been making. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jen581791 said:

I won't "like" that post, as it's got a lot of pain in it, but I will say that you are doing a great job of taking care of yourself in the ways that you need to. Anything further that you have to have done to knees or hips, you will thank yourself for having lost a bunch of weight when it's recovery time, I'm absolutely sure. Keep up your hard work and remember to thank yourself for making the decisions you have been making. 

@Jen581791, thank you for always being so motivating and being a great cheering section!! You always make me feel so good about myself, and like I'm doing the right things!! :wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, athenarose said:

Dude, I'm a total introvert and anti-social (or as I prefer to call it, selectively social). I used my friend connections to find my trainer and my Jiu Jitsu class (my other good friend is the instructor). That's precisely why I workout with my trainer- if there are other people around, no one talks to me *and* 90% of the time, we're the only people in the gym (it's a small, boutique type gym) and my Jiu Jitsu class is generally 3 or 4 people. It's glorious. I wish you could come work out at my gym. I bet you'd love it.

That all aside, I love that you see the perks of your gym. If those things motivate you, then, awesome!  A safe, fun place for your daughter is a huge perk. 

If you're still looking for workouts, check on Pinterest. There's tons of ideas on there. But other than that, what are your goals? Any particular areas you want to focus on? If you have specific goal in mind, it's easier to tailor workouts to make sure you're working towards it.

When I come back to LA, I will come with you to the gym! :D

Thanks for your ideas and for understanding my selectively social ways. I love that term. :) I want to work on my abs and arms. I think my arms would tone up nicely and I need to work on my upper body strength. I'm pretty weak. My abs will take a long time. Even when I was skinny, I had a pooch. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2017 at 5:50 AM, NerdyLady said:

When I come back to LA, I will come with you to the gym! :D

Thanks for your ideas and for understanding my selectively social ways. I love that term. :) I want to work on my abs and arms. I think my arms would tone up nicely and I need to work on my upper body strength. I'm pretty weak. My abs will take a long time. Even when I was skinny, I had a pooch. 

 

There's only one place in the world I'm 'socially selective' (love that term btw) and that's at the gym. I talk to almost no one. I'm all business, in and out. The one exception is elderly folks. If a senior starts talking to me, I always engage them. For whatever reason, it's the only type of social interaction at the gym that I don't bristle at.

The thing I have zero tolerance for at the gym is unsolicited advice about what I should be doing or how I should be doing it. It amazes me how many people feel it's appropriate to do this to a complete stranger at the gym. That's just bad manners.....to which I generally respond in kind. I actually said to someone once when they tried to give me advice I didn't ask for "No offense dude, but I just lost 119 pounds without your help. I think I'm doing alright on my own but thanks anyway."

I'm an Angelino as well so hit me up if you're ever looking for a 'workout buddy'. I promise, no unsolicited advice ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I go to the "Gym" every morning, have for years. Changed the name of my bathroom from "John" to "Gym" Sounds so good to say that I go to the Gym every morning! LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...