My other OTHER addiction

Please send help. They just opened a Starbucks in my building. There is now only 50 feet and 1 elevator away from me and Starbucks every day. They have opened a café also. The menu looks very health conscious and every item has caloric count on the menu. But I pack my lunch and don't see this as being tempting. There's already a café next door that I haven't visited once since surgery. But STARBUCKS!

NO!

NO!

Do not eat at Starbucks. Do not eat there! Do you hear me young lady! :D

What is your temptation at Starbucks? Maybe by writing it out, you'll see that you don't really want what you are craving. That helps me.

As far as the health conscious part, remember my weight gain story as a cautionary tale. I ate nothing but healthy foods. I'm a bit of a health nut. You can still make poor choices while eating "healthy".

i say this with 1000% love. :wub:

Oh my....I'd be in the same boat - I love me some Starbucks! I have still been going recently, but I get a tall (small) Passion Tango iced tea unsweetened with 2 splendas. Great for now while it's hot outside, but my challenge will be when it gets cold out - especially when pumpkin spice lattes pop back on the menu this fall...oh how I love those. Sigh....:unsure:

@Trish13 I may have to become the killer of Starbucks dreams. When fall comes around, hear my beautiful shrill voice shrieking NO! to the pumpkin spice latte. 

Your tea sounds like a lovely choice on these hotel* days. See, I can be nice too. :wub::P

*I meant hot days. Autocorrect, what is a hotel Day???

Edited by NerdyLady

@NerdyLady....I will remind myself of this when fall comes and send you a message so you can rip out my heart while screaming NO! to my pumpkin spice latte cravings! Lol!!! :P 

32 minutes ago, Smashlee83 said:

Please send help. They just opened a Starbucks in my building. There is now only 50 feet and 1 elevator away from me and Starbucks every day. They have opened a café also. The menu looks very health conscious and every item has caloric count on the menu. But I pack my lunch and don't see this as being tempting. There's already a café next door that I haven't visited once since surgery. But STARBUCKS!

Triple espresso with a packet of Splenda if you are not off artificial sweeteners. Caffeine, sweet, and you get to tell yourself how Virtuous you are. Maybe have them put it over ice in the heat of summer. 

(but do not buy food there)

40 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Triple espresso with a packet of Splenda if you are not off artificial sweeteners. Caffeine, sweet, and you get to tell yourself how Virtuous you are. Maybe have them put it over ice in the heat of summer. 

(but do not buy food there)

That's exactly what I get! Over ice in the summer is a must have. 

48 minutes ago, Trish13 said:

@NerdyLady....I will remind myself of this when fall comes and send you a message so you can rip out my heart while screaming NO! to my pumpkin spice latte cravings! Lol!!! :P 

I've written Starbucks several times asking them to make a sugar free version. They have responded by telling me that the company has not come up with a version that has been pleasing to consumer tastes. That's probably better anyway! Better for my palate and better for my wallet! 

Flat whites! It's just espresso and milk, but the milked is frothed in a special way so it becomes super velvety and adds its own sweetness. I was never able to drink unsweetened coffee until I started drinking flat whites. You can get a short for 60 calories, or a tall for 100. 

I was initially super mad when I moved to a building that doesnt even have vending machines, let alone a cafeteria or coffee shop, but its been a good thing :D except the starbucks I pass on the drive in...which is why I have a flat white right now ^_^

The food is not my weakness it's the coffee. COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE!!!!!!!!! I actually do the flat white with SF vanilla or SF cinnamon dolce. I know these aren't necessarily bad, but it can quickly become every day for me. I have managed to save so much money since this surgery as I meal prep for the entire week and don't leave my office building so no chance of spending money on food or shopping on my break.

White Chocolate Mocha used to be my weakness and I am so very grateful that I can now say no to those. 500 calories a pop got me into this position in the first place!

Like I already had 2 iced lattes this weekend. One on Saturday and one yesterday. This morning I was up 3lbs...

17 minutes ago, Smashlee83 said:

Like I already had 2 iced lattes this weekend. One on Saturday and one yesterday. This morning I was up 3lbs...

^^^Remember this the next time you get tempted!!! I can't speak from experience, because I've never been a coffee drinker. To me, I guard my allowed calories VERY carefully, and I would not want to waste them on Starbucks coffee...or any other liquid calories. I know it's hard for those of you that were used to drinking coffee or soda, etc, pre op, but just ask yourself...is it really worth it? :wub: Said with only love and concern for you!!!

11 hours ago, Trish13 said:

Oh my....I'd be in the same boat - I love me some Starbucks! I have still been going recently, but I get a tall (small) Passion Tango iced tea unsweetened with 2 splendas. Great for now while it's hot outside, but my challenge will be when it gets cold out - especially when pumpkin spice lattes pop back on the menu this fall...oh how I love those. Sigh....:unsure:

Try that tea with their sugar free vanilla syrup instead of splenda. Delicious!

22 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

@Smashlee83 Have you thought about buying an espresso maker to make your own at home?  This way you can control how much milk is in your drink and better yet, use milk that is higher in protein. Machines have a range of prices and you might be able to find one on Craigslist that someone has outgrown.

I have visions of @BurgundyBoy shuddering as he reads this ;), but I have a Nespresso machine. After weeks of not getting any sleep bc my colicky infant was up all night, I said "F it", I need an easy espresso machine that I can operate in my sleep. Each shot winds up being $.79 and they provide you with a prepaid UPS envelope to recycle the pods. The machine is pretty small, so you could keep it at work or reserve it for the weekend. If this isn't your speed, you can make a cafecito cubano, sans the sugar.

I know you won't have a high calorie drink, but once again, hear my beautiful shrill voice saying NO! :wub::wub:

I've been talking about getting an espresso maker all year. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday. I've been making my own cold press at home for iced lattes on the weekend (when I'm not on the run getting starbucks. Ugh.)

It officially opened this morning and I was first in line, but I will for sure limit these as the 15g carbs is just not worth it. But delicious.

IMG_9011.JPG

1 hour ago, NerdyLady said:

@Smashlee83 Have you thought about buying an espresso maker to make your own at home?  This way you can control how much milk is in your drink and better yet, use milk that is higher in protein. Machines have a range of prices and you might be able to find one on Craigslist that someone has outgrown.

I have visions of @BurgundyBoy shuddering as he reads this ;), but I have a Nespresso machine. After weeks of not getting any sleep bc my colicky infant was up all night, I said "F it", I need an easy espresso machine that I can operate in my sleep. Each shot winds up being $.79 and they provide you with a prepaid UPS envelope to recycle the pods. The machine is pretty small, so you could keep it at work or reserve it for the weekend. If this isn't your speed, you can make a cafecito cubano, sans the sugar.

I know you won't have a high calorie drink, but once again, hear my beautiful shrill voice saying NO! :wub::wub:

(No... No... No... not shuddering... but trembling quite a bit. :D )

If one has to choose between GREAT espresso, GOOD espresso, or NO espresso, there is only one bad choice here. Good suggestion @NerdyLady!! I mean, why live if it means no espresso?? :P

There's one other good reason to limit your visits to Starbuck.......your wallet. I keep odd hours but on the days I leave in the AM, I usually take a travel mug of coffee with me. It's easier to walk past a Starbucks if you have a coffee already in your hand :-)

If I'm in a pinch, I'll get one of those little egg white spinach thingys. Super low cal, high protein.

1 minute ago, Jabsie said:

There's one other good reason to limit your visits to Starbuck.......your wallet. I keep odd hours but on the days I leave in the AM, I usually take a travel mug of coffee with me. It's easier to walk past a Starbucks if you have a coffee already in your hand :-)

If I'm in a pinch, I'll get one of those little egg white spinach thingys. Super low cal, high protein.

couldn't agree more... that's why I always get a TRIPLE espresso, the upcharge on espressos #2 and #3 is small compared to #1. Really, the reason I get the triple is just the savings... very financially prudent... :rolleyes:

Seriously - a triple espresso is one of the least expensive offerings they have and probably the most fragrant and savory. 

1 hour ago, BurgundyBoy said:

couldn't agree more... that's why I always get a TRIPLE espresso, the upcharge on espressos #2 and #3 is small compared to #1. Really, the reason I get the triple is just the savings... very financially prudent... :rolleyes:

Seriously - a triple espresso is one of the least expensive offerings they have and probably the most fragrant and savory. 

If I didn't feel like a pretentious A-hole ordering I'd always have a triple tall latte with sugar free vanilla and a splash of coconut milk. Mmmm see now I want more starbucks.

1 hour ago, Jabsie said:

This is my major confliction. I have managed to sack away so much money because I don't leave my building to go eat $15 lunches every day. I've got extra cash for all the new clothes I require. But this starbucks is throwing a wrench into those plans.

I can't stand coffee/Starbucks! 

*runs and hides to avoid flying mugs launched in my general direction*  :P

19 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

It happened again. But this time @BurgundyBoyit was a triple espresso with a shot of coconut milk. You were right! Only $2.50 as opposed to my normal $5 cup of coffee. COFFEEEEEEEEEE

41 minutes ago, Smashlee83 said:

It happened again. But this time @BurgundyBoyit was a triple espresso with a shot of coconut milk. You were right! Only $2.50 as opposed to my normal $5 cup of coffee. COFFEEEEEEEEEE

(Just read your post as I slithered out from my lair in search of the Cup of Coffee made by my wife... Hisss..... Hisss.... Hisss....Don't talk to me before I have had coffeeeeee...)

Yes, they have a great business model, extracting huge amounts of money for ... pretty good coffee. It's definitely on the WLS diet if without sugar or whole milk...

On 7/24/2017 at 8:06 PM, Gretta said:

Try that tea with their sugar free vanilla syrup instead of splenda. Delicious!

@Gretta.....I just went to Starbucks for my treat and I got the Passion Tango iced tea with the SF vanilla syrup....it's pretty good!!! Thanks for the suggestion! :D