Mammography question

I'm sitting in a parking lot a bit freaked out. I recieved a call from the office where I had a mammogram. The mammogram was yesterday and the radiologist wants new images and an ultrasound. Apparently, my breasts have changed since I had a mammogram three years ago. 

All kinds of thoughts are running through my head. Yesterday, the mammography tech told me that everything looked good, so this took me off guard. A couple of things have changed since I had my last mammogram. I breast fed for three months and pumped breast milk for six months after that. I have also lost and regained weight many times since 2014. My breasts have gotten bigger and smaller. They have gotten a bit smaller since WLS.  

I have an appointment to see the radiologist on wednesday, although I'm calling around my medical network to try and get an appointment sooner. Has anyone gone through this situation? Has WLS changed your breasts or caused concern? I'm super freaked out. 

I have no history of any type of cancer in my family. I'm trying to remain calm until I have more information but it's not easy. 

I had exactly the same happen when I had my first post-WLS mammogram.  I got a call-back for another mammogram and all was well.

Try not to stress out too much. The density of your breasts has definitely changed a lot after all your weight loss, etc. I'm glad they're giving such a dramatic change special attention. Different doesn't have to equal bad. Try to feel special for being an amazing loser rather than worried. Worry is a waste of energy. I hope you get that earlier appointment so you can relax sooner. Hugs. Good job getting your mammograms. 

I'm so sorry you got a scary call back about the exam. The difference being attributable to the changes you mentioned make complete sense to me - I really hope it's just that: an overabundance of caution by some concerned professionals. In the meantime, not much you can do but take a deep breath. We're here for you!

I had a scary call like this a year ago.  Ended up with additional views, then ultrasound, then MRI.  Finally they decided it was fibrocystic tissue and it was unchanged with a repeat 6 months later.   This happened to me about 10 years ago as well.  The odds are in your favor that it is nothing of concern, but of course it is always best to follow up and make sure.  Try not to stress too much.

@cinwa @Jen581791 @Gretta @msmarymac Thank you for your kind words. I'm trying to remain calm and be positive. I'm going to do my best to occupy myself so that negative thoughts don't take over my brain. 

NerdyLady,

I hope you've been able to calm yourself a little. I was told it's very normal to have repeat mammo's, especially if you've had significant changes in your breast tissue...like significant weight loss. I had to have a mammo prior to my WLS, and they told me that I would most likely be getting a call back, and that it's common if you've had changes. In my case, my breasts had gotten larger (ugh) and they actually couldn't fit my whole breast in one image, so they had to take several images from each angle. Everything was normal, but it is very scary going over the 'what if's' in your mind. Please, please try not to worry!! ♥️

Is this where the phrase "calm your %$@#" applies? ;)

of course they are going to be different. There is less tissue and your normal lumps and bumps will be much more visible. Hang in there sweetie, I've got my fingers, toes and boobs crossed for you!

Just now, Clickin said:

Is this where the phrase "calm your %$@#" applies? 

Boo for not being able to say t!ts. We can talk about all levels of bowel function and whatnot but mammaries are off limits!  

More P.C.- de-stress your breasts?

Hakuna your ta-tas?

Nearly 50% of our mammograms are called back for either a second mammogram or a follow up ultrasound - I know that doesn't make it easier, but sometimes it does help to know its an incredibly common thing to need closer imaging! My mom had to do a follow up mammogram also and we all held our breath, so I know regardless there will be some anxiety. 

As for the calm your #*&* - this is the image that always pops into my mind when someone says that:

612.png

@Clickin @Trish1967 @delilas

Thank you for comforting me. I've managed to calm down and I'm trying not to think about returning to the mammography clinic. 

I've never heard the expression "calm your t1ts". I'll have to put that one in my regular rotation. It's hilarious that this word is censored. I have quite literally discussed my bowel movements to the last detail but t1ts is verboten? 

11 hours ago, delilas said:

Nearly 50% of our mammograms are called back for either a second mammogram or a follow up ultrasound - I know that doesn't make it easier, but sometimes it does help to know its an incredibly common thing to need closer imaging! My mom had to do a follow up mammogram also and we all held our breath, so I know regardless there will be some anxiety. 

As for the calm your #*&* - this is the image that always pops into my mind when someone says that:

612.png

Amazing!

I'm at the mammography clinic for a repeat mammogram and ultrasound. Think good thoughts for me. 

42 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Positive vibes coming your way.

Thank you! I need them. 

Sending positive, healthy, relaxing vibes!

Relax, deep woosah breaths. Sending west coast love your way. 

6 minutes ago, Clickin said:

Relax, deep woosah breaths. Sending west coast love your way. 

I can't think West Coast without thinking of 90's gangster rap. With that being said, good vibes from the Dirty South!

32 minutes ago, Smashlee83 said:

I can't think West Coast without thinking of 90's gangster rap. With that being said, good vibes from the Dirty South!

Well I do wear my flag on the left side... :P

I am not ashamed to say that I am a middle aged white soccer mom type who bumps the most filthy, inappropriate gangsta rap in my SUV. 

43 minutes ago, Clickin said:

Well I do wear my flag on the left side... :P

I am not ashamed to say that I am a middle aged white soccer mom type who bumps the most filthy, inappropriate gangsta rap in my SUV. 

My hero. Tupac for life.

@cinwa I laughed so hard that I nearly cried. Thank you for the much needed joy. 

Everything turned out well! The changes are most probably due to my IUD and WLS. It was such a relief to hear. I have to go back in six months. 

Thank you everyone for all the support and love. If you haven't done so, go out and get your mammogram!

That's great news NerdyLady!

I had to have a marker implanted so that they can keep an eye on one area to watch - it was the shape of the Susan B. Komen ribbon.

These cracked me up:  http://www.apronstringsblog.com/make-your-own-mammo-grahams-for-breast-cancer-awareness/