Katinka

Requesting advice from non-insured sleevers

7 hours ago, Katinka said:

Hola @NerdyToothpick :)

Thanks for asking! I am way closer to the possibility. I have saved and saved every penny and think I may be looking at the end of March. I’m going to be in touch with the nutritionist this week to see what she needs me to do and if all goes as I’m hoping I may be sleeved in a month or two! 

How are you?! :D

@Katinka I’m doing well! I’ve been thinking about you over the last few months. I’m glad to hear you are still saving your pennies. Pennies add up to dollars!! xo

@NerdyToothpick You are so thoughtful and sweet. I'm so grateful that you've thought of me! So right now, I'm waiting to get quoted for the price of all the pre-op procedures, and from there I will get a better idea of if I can book the surgery late this month or early the next! I'm over the moon! And I divulged about my intentions for surgery to one of my dearest mentors (who has been like a mother to me since high school - she was one of my teachers, now a dear dear friend)..and she had never heard of VSG. She started researching and guess what, she's going to Mexico in a week and 1 day and she's having her surgery even before me! So now I have a close buddy who will also be going through this metamorphosis and we couldn't be more excited! I've told her about the ThinnerTimes and need to send her the link..so we all may be having a new buddy on here soon!   xo

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:29 AM, Havamal said:

The psych evail was probably the most absurd part of my pre qualifications... I spent 2 hours with a quack who had me do a basic online psych test that you would typically find on a Facebook post, then talked to me to be sure that my alter-ego didn't wear a bicycle helmet 24/7 and lick car windows. all he talked about was how great it will be after I had the surgery. The possibility of an eating disorder never even came up!

Then there was the $897.00 bill... :blink:

But its the hoops we jump through. :)

Oh yes all the hoops !!!  UGH

8 hours ago, Katinka said:

@NerdyToothpick You are so thoughtful and sweet. I'm so grateful that you've thought of me! So right now, I'm waiting to get quoted for the price of all the pre-op procedures, and from there I will get a better idea of if I can book the surgery late this month or early the next! I'm over the moon! And I divulged about my intentions for surgery to one of my dearest mentors (who has been like a mother to me since high school - she was one of my teachers, now a dear dear friend)..and she had never heard of VSG. She started researching and guess what, she's going to Mexico in a week and 1 day and she's having her surgery even before me! So now I have a close buddy who will also be going through this metamorphosis and we couldn't be more excited! I've told her about the ThinnerTimes and need to send her the link..so we all may be having a new buddy on here soon!   xo

@Katinka I’m happy to hear that you are still on this path and that you have the support of someone you love! I’m excited to “meet” your friend. Abrazos!

14 hours ago, Katinka said:

Best of luck to you and your friend both! Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction for you :) 

Hey Guys!  :D

So I have an update! I leave for Chile in a week and have all my pre-op appointments set with the team (surgeon, NUT, psych, endoscopy etc) 3 days after I arrive. If all those tests are good and cleared, I will be having surgery the following week after that. I'm excited and nervous! I have to stay in Chile for a month - Dr wants me to just to be on the safe side, in case I were to have any complications and for after op visits and such.. 

I haven't had a cigarette in 20 days!! I can't believe it! I also found out they would still operate even if I did sneak a few, but I'm so far out and am just going to try my hardest to not give in..it's been a few days since I found out and I still haven't gone back, so that's a good sign! 

Do you guys have any advice you can spare on what to pack? Essential things you all needed in the 1st month? 

Thanks in advance!!

Wow!!!! Only 1 week away? That is awesome news, Katinka!!!!!! I am SO excited for you!

Now you are probably starting to see how much of smoking is related to habit. You can and should stay off the stinkies! The nicotine could be harmful to you post op and the thousands of other nasty chemicals in the cigs will do you no good at all. Congratulations!!!!

I have ideas on what to pack but, I am starting to feel groggy from taking pain meds an hour ago. I will post a list if nobody beats me to it in a bit.

Huge congratulations to you once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay! Thank you so much @Readytobeme 

& I look forward to your list!

Hope you're feeling good. Can't wait to hear more about your experience. 

Now go rest  :)  

4 hours ago, Katinka said:

Hey Guys!  :D

So I have an update! I leave for Chile in a week and have all my pre-op appointments set with the team (surgeon, NUT, psych, endoscopy etc) 3 days after I arrive. If all those tests are good and cleared, I will be having surgery the following week after that. I'm excited and nervous! I have to stay in Chile for a month - Dr wants me to just to be on the safe side, in case I were to have any complications and for after op visits and such.. 

I haven't had a cigarette in 20 days!! I can't believe it! I also found out they would still operate even if I did sneak a few, but I'm so far out and am just going to try my hardest to not give in..it's been a few days since I found out and I still haven't gone back, so that's a good sign! 

Do you guys have any advice you can spare on what to pack? Essential things you all needed in the 1st month? 

Thanks in advance!!

Stretchy stuff like spandex that doesn't press against the surgical sites very much - good walking shoes since you will want to walk every day, aids healing and the exercise will help with the pace of weight loss. 

You may want to take taste-neutral protein powder with you to add to broths, milk, other liquids - - can't emphasize enough how important protein intake is. 

Vitamins, meds, probiotic capsules, ...

9 hours ago, Katinka said:

Yay! Thank you so much @Readytobeme 

& I look forward to your list!

Hope you're feeling good. Can't wait to hear more about your experience. 

Now go rest  :)  

BB has a good one. This is what worked for me. A few night gowns to keep anything from rubbing on my stomach. Loose stretchy pants and loose shirts. Slip on shoes to keep from bending over to tie and take on and off. Chapstick. Lotion.

Since you will be there for a month, you may want to heed BBs advice and take protein powder, vitamins and such. It may be a good idea to ask your surgeon for a list since they would know what is available when you get there and what may not be. Would be a shame to haul a bunch of stuff with you that you could have just purchased there.

6 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Stretchy stuff like spandex that doesn't press against the surgical sites very much - good walking shoes since you will want to walk every day, aids healing and the exercise will help with the pace of weight loss. 

You may want to take taste-neutral protein powder with you to add to broths, milk, other liquids - - can't emphasize enough how important protein intake is. 

Vitamins, meds, probiotic capsules, ...

@BurgundyBoy Thanks! Good to know. Is there a specific protein powder you can recommend? 

14 minutes ago, Katinka said:

@BurgundyBoy Thanks! Good to know. Is there a specific protein powder you can recommend? 

Buy a protein powder that is a complete protein - there are plenty in the market made from cattle hides, and they are short on some of the essential amino acids. Read up on 'bloom index' which has to do with how easily they go into solution too. You want a complete protein and one that goes into solution, e.g. dissolves, easily. This is one of the reasons why cow milk and whey proteins are so popular, as they are complete proteins and they are quite soluble. 

Good news is if you are in Chile, you can get the world's best fish broths made for you. Ask for broth made from 'corvina' which is a local white fish. The seafood there is unbelievably good. You won't be able to eat it as a solid but as a broth... wow. 

-------------------------

Chilean wine is sometimes just spectacular. In the US there is a fairly broad prohibition on it after surgery but it may help (solely for medicinal purposes) with anxiety. So far as I can tell the major problem with wine is... its lack of protein. (My judgement may not be the best on this subject, so treat this with a grain of salt). More seriously - enjoy a great glass before surgery, but just a glass or two - you are there to lose weight and adopt the healthiest of habits! If you have anything good, post it for those of us who are attentive to such things. Saying you are having surgery in Chile is akin to saying you are having surgery in ... Burgundy. 

4 hours ago, Katinka said:

I like Syntrax Nectar - it has a good profile and tastes pretty good. You can also order sample packs of a bunch of individually packed different flavors so you can figure out which ones you like. Your tastes may change after surgery. 

https://www.amazon.com/Syntrax-Nectar-Sweets-Strawberry-Mousse/dp/B001P59SFM/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1522387031&sr=1-3&keywords=syntrax%2Bnectar%2Bsweets&th=1