Katinka

Requesting advice from non-insured sleevers

Hi there. I was wondering what your pre-pre op diet was? I've been told that when the insurance companies are excluded, there are many things that aren't required.. just wondering what the different experiences were like out there. I don't have insurance and most people seem to have been covered. I'd love to hear some experiences and what your process was like and how pre-op was handled for the non-insured. Thank you in advance! :)

It's more up to the surgeon and facility in that case, insurance or not. 

For example, if you have surgery at OSU, even if you're uninsured, they still require you to go through some of the diet and exercise counseling, and you still have to have an EGD and if necessary, cardiac clearance - but they are a "bariatric center for excellence" and have a set of standards to meet regardless of if you are insured or not. 

But if you go to the outpatient bariatric center 10 miles from here, they basically don't require anything but a basic screening, pre-op appointment, and a down payment. They just put you through surgery with a tip of that hat and a "Good Luck!" as you hit the door. 

Thank you Delilas! :)

I'm self-pay and am asking about this next time I talk to my surgeon! I met with her nutritionist and she gave me a 2-week pre-op diet, but because my BMI is lower than 40 and I'm not going through insurance, she wasn't sure if it was necessary (or even necessary that I get clearance from her haha).  I'll try to remember to let you know what the doctor says :) 

SydSleeve, you are the best! Thank you so much! I'd really appreciate that. :) My BMI is under 40 too (36), so hopefully I can get a better idea of what I'll be told once I find/can afford my surgery, based on your experience. (I realize everyone's experience is different, though.) 

omg! I'm 36 too! When are you getting yours done? I have a couple other things to do before I get to schedule but I'm hoping mid-september! 

but also, so far, they've told me I need a nutritionist clearance and a psych clearance, but they don't need to do the actual assessment, they just need to say basically that I'm stable and understand what I'm doing etc...

13 hours ago, SydSleeve said:

but also, so far, they've told me I need a nutritionist clearance and a psych clearance, but they don't need to do the actual assessment, they just need to say basically that I'm stable and understand what I'm doing etc...

The psych evail was probably the most absurd part of my pre qualifications... I spent 2 hours with a quack who had me do a basic online psych test that you would typically find on a Facebook post, then talked to me to be sure that my alter-ego didn't wear a bicycle helmet 24/7 and lick car windows. all he talked about was how great it will be after I had the surgery. The possibility of an eating disorder never even came up!

Then there was the $897.00 bill... :blink:

But its the hoops we jump through. :)

@Katinka Your preop diet will be determined by your surgeon's office. My surgeon in Mexico sends his patients a detailed meal plan based on their weight. My BMI was low (33.2) and unlike most people, I did not have to go on a special diet. I had to eat low carb meals for a couple of days prior to the surgery. As a diabetic, I was already eating this way, so nothing changed.

Those damn hoops !!!   Ugh

On 7/17/2017 at 11:36 PM, Katinka said:

Hi there. I was wondering what your pre-pre op diet was? I've been told that when the insurance companies are excluded, there are many things that aren't required.. just wondering what the different experiences were like out there. I don't have insurance and most people seem to have been covered. I'd love to hear some experiences and what your process was like and how pre-op was handled for the non-insured. Thank you in advance! :)

My BMI was under 40, so I did not have to lose weight before my surgery... The surgical team asked me to try out the liquid diet for at least 48 hours in the period before my surgery. It helped me to understand what to have in the house and I tried out a bunch of different protein drinks. I also gained a bit of weight over the holidays at the end of last year, and lost a bit more than 10 lbs by just eating somewhat mindfully, following some of the guidance to focus on protein, avoid carbs, etc. 

The pre-op dieting may be useful in another way... people who lose weight before surgery are statistically more likely to lose weight after surgery. I haven't read a convincing study that has looked at this. Maybe they have more to lose? Maybe the successful behavior before surgery predicts a similarly helpful set of behaviors afterwards??

I should note that I wish I would have done some sort of pre op eating plan. I see people on this forum who seem to have mastered mindful eating, while I'm still learning how to eat slowly. I've gobbled down my food for years and if I am not consciously thinking about my meals, I tend to eat too quickly. That leads to major unpleasantness! I think that everyone who has surgery, including those who don't have to lose weight, should at least try a pre op eating plan. 

@BurgundyBoy Look at us bragging about our low BMI. ;)

On 24/07/2017 at 5:41 AM, NerdyLady said:

@BurgundyBoy Look at us bragging about our low BMI. ;)

Mine was lower than both of you... @29.9 on day of surgery. I was still required to have a 4 week pre-op diet. The surgeon's dietician want all 3 meals replaced with optifast.....fortunately the surgeon told me to only replace two and have a low carb meal in the evenings. The one relief I was given due to a low BMI was not having to inject myself with blood thinners when I was released from hospital. According to the nurses, at that hospital the need for those is BMI based....the higher your BMI the longer you have to take the shots.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, delilas said:

It's more up to the surgeon and facility in that case, insurance or not. 

For example, if you have surgery at OSU, even if you're uninsured, they still require you to go through some of the diet and exercise counseling, and you still have to have an EGD and if necessary, cardiac clearance - but they are a "bariatric center for excellence" and have a set of standards to meet regardless of if you are insured or not. 

But if you go to the outpatient bariatric center 10 miles from here, they basically don't require anything but a basic screening, pre-op appointment, and a down payment. They just put you through surgery with a tip of that hat and a "Good Luck!" as you hit the door. 

I had a surgeon very similar to this "good luck" type described. I will say however that he did mine and my friends surgery. I had a BMI of 42 and had 0 hoops to jump through besides blood work and quit smoking. I did consult to surgery in 1 week. My friend however had a BMI of over 50 and he had to lose 20lbs and lower his sugar levels prior to surgery.

Wow! I'm so pleasantly surprised, not only at the amount of responses you all gave but how encouraging this community is! I am so grateful to all of you. I feel lucky to have found thinner times forum! I have reached out to 3 different surgeons/hospitals in Santiago so far. Only one has been very responsive. I'm waiting to get a call from them to discuss payment plans. :blink: I'm really hoping they have some kind of system to where I can start paying now and lock in the price because the hospital's bariatric unit is having a special which knocks about $1,500 off the reg price. until Sept 30th. I still need to find out what the grand total of approximately $9,000 includes (pre op exams, post op exams, nut etc) so please wish me luck that I can work something out. It is a very nice hospital, my Dad has traveled there for 2 major surgeries before and he highly recommends/wants me to go there even if other reputable hospitals in the area offer less money. I trust his opinion, so like I said, I'm hoping I can lock in that special price and start making payments now, even if I have to wait 4 months or so before I can pay it off for surgery. We shall see! 

35 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Wow! I'm so pleasantly surprised, not only at the amount of responses you all gave but how encouraging this community is! I am so grateful to all of you. I feel lucky to have found thinner times forum! I have reached out to 3 different surgeons/hospitals in Santiago so far. Only one has been very responsive. I'm waiting to get a call from them to discuss payment plans. :blink: I'm really hoping they have some kind of system to where I can start paying now and lock in the price because the hospital's bariatric unit is having a special which knocks about $1,500 off the reg price. until Sept 30th. I still need to find out what the grand total of approximately $9,000 includes (pre op exams, post op exams, nut etc) so please wish me luck that I can work something out. It is a very nice hospital, my Dad has traveled there for 2 major surgeries before and he highly recommends/wants me to go there even if other reputable hospitals in the area offer less money. I trust his opinion, so like I said, I'm hoping I can lock in that special price and start making payments now, even if I have to wait 4 months or so before I can pay it off for surgery. We shall see! 

I agree with your dad 1000%. My hospital was more expensive than other clinics in the area. However, after much research, i felt that it was the best place for me to have surgery. I'm not saying that something more expensive is better, but the fact that your dad has spoken highly of the hospital is something to be taken seriously. 

Keep us posted! 

Thanks @NerdyLady :D Will do

Hey Katinka, 

Ugh. They told me I have to do 10 days. But I'm going to ask again to get it down to a week haha. It depends on your surgeon I think, because I've read about a lot of people at a lower BMI who don't have to do a pre-op diet.

Hey all. I'm not sure if there is a better place to post this, but I have a tiny update. I was able to have a phone consultation with the Clinic/Hospital I want to have my surgery in. Their current special price ends end of Sept. Since I'm overseas and have been talking to their people via email for weeks, they have agreed to extend the time frame for their special price (which is about $9000). So nothing is set in stone yet, but there is a good chance I may be able to have my surgery in January!! I wish it could be tomorrow but, since I'm paying 100% out of pocket, I need some time to save money like I've never saved before. I want to try my hardest to have the amount so I don't take out loans for not only the obvious interest but, if I can pay cash, I may be able to negotiate an even better price! Which will be great since the pre op exams are not included in the $9000 special. Like I said, it's a small update but I'm so excited to feel like I've taken my first step forward. Please wish me luck that I am able to generate the income to make this dream a reality! Have a great night everybody! :)

Good luck, @Katinka!

Thank you very much @Gretta :D

45 minutes ago, Katinka said:

Hey all. I'm not sure if there is a better place to post this, but I have a tiny update. I was able to have a phone consultation with the Clinic/Hospital I want to have my surgery in. Their current special price ends end of Sept. Since I'm overseas and have been talking to their people via email for weeks, they have agreed to extend the time frame for their special price (which is about $9000). So nothing is set in stone yet, but there is a good chance I may be able to have my surgery in January!! I wish it could be tomorrow but, since I'm paying 100% out of pocket, I need some time to save money like I've never saved before. I want to try my hardest to have the amount so I don't take out loans for not only the obvious interest but, if I can pay cash, I may be able to negotiate an even better price! Which will be great since the pre op exams are not included in the $9000 special. Like I said, it's a small update but I'm so excited to feel like I've taken my first step forward. Please wish me luck that I am able to generate the income to make this dream a reality! Have a great night everybody! :)

I'm keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you. My surgery was about $11,000, so I know the challenge of self paying. I can tell you that I do not regret going forward with the surgery. Sure, I may be $11K poorer but I have my health. You will have your health too!

Chile in January will be wonderful! You will be able to take walks in the warm weather. That will surely make the healing process much more pleasant. 

Please keep coming back to the Forum. If you have doubts or questions, come ask us. :)

@NerdyLady Thank you so much! It's really nice to have people to talk to about this, who don't have judgements and are so supportive. It feels like a blessing. :D

On 8/6/2017 at 11:13 PM, Katinka said:

@NerdyLady Thank you so much! It's really nice to have people to talk to about this, who don't have judgements and are so supportive. It feels like a blessing. :D

Hola mi amor! Can you give us an update? Were you able to have surgery or are you waiting awhile? :)

Hola @NerdyToothpick :)

Thanks for asking! I am way closer to the possibility. I have saved and saved every penny and think I may be looking at the end of March. I’m going to be in touch with the nutritionist this week to see what she needs me to do and if all goes as I’m hoping I may be sleeved in a month or two! 

How are you?! :D