Madhouse Heidi

Weight gain during surgery?

On July 11 (3 days ago), I had my lap-band removed and converted to a sleeve. Prior to the surgery I was on a 2 week high-protein diet. During that time I lost 10 pounds. The day before the surgery I had only clear liquids. The day of surgery I had nothing but the water I used to swab my mouth. When I got home the day after surgery, I had gained the 10 pounds back! I know that they pumped me full of fluids in the hospital, and that the trauma of surgery can cause some fluid retention. But seriously! Has anyone else experienced that sort of gain while eating nothing?

It's all the fluid they put on you. I'm 14 days post op and I gained 5 pounds and I'm on liquids only and I can't even keep those in me. So just give it time  

I gained 7 by the time I got home from the hospital..

How long did it take to lose those 7?

After I was released from the hospital I made my mind up to only weigh every other week by 2 weeks I was down.  I will add by not being a slave to the scale I never noticed a stall either so I didn't panic.  (My hubby hid the scale for me)

1 hour ago, Madhouse said:

How long did it take to lose those 7?

About 48-72 hours. I was up right after surgery, then about my pre-op weight at 72 hours, and then lost 2 lbs, 5 lbs, then 2 lbs, on the following days. All water weight. Your trajectory is unlikely to be exactly like mine (or anyone else's). ... but everyone has LOTS of fluid retention, not a little, and then the loss is usually (not always) pretty fast in the first week or two. You're just after surgery so you could be 10 lbs up. Or 3 down. Just too early to tell.* 7 days after surgery I had lost 10 lbs, which probably meant I went up 5 lbs and then lost 15, much of which was water weight. 

@Cheesehead(and a big group of others who have lots of resolve) smartly weigh only every week, other week, or month. You can go SOOO crazy with the inevitable little ups and downs seen with daily weighing. Having said that I compulsively weigh myself every day after I compulsively have a strong cup or two of rocket fuel espresso coffee to elicit a compulsively elicited BM, and then weigh myself after the conditions of (1) coffee and (2) having had a BM. Just so the conditions are the same, like I am a lab rat. But it is NUTS to do this but of course 98% of us do it. 

*So the "too early to tell" story I first heard was framed around Nixon's visit to China in 1971. While visiting China he met Mao and Zhou Enlai. Nixon, to make conversation, asked Zhou what he thought about the French Revolution of 1785. Zhou is reported to have thought for a bit, and then said, "too early to tell." Well, weight loss at a few days after surgery... is too early to tell. 

Constipation during the first week after surgery is also common, and that also contributes to the weight retention!! I went 6 days after surgery before my first BM, and it was not a pleasant experience!!

I had the bypass, not the sleeve, but I gained a lot of water weight from surgery. At least 10 pounds, if not more. My face, hands, feet, etc. were all very swollen for about 7-10 days. The water weight isn't a real weight gain. It will come off, and so will your actual weight. Just give it some time, and try to breathe. And remember, there is also a lot of swelling inside, and that contributes to the jump in numbers on the scale. 

And, don't forget about pain meds making you retain water too. So, after surgery, if you're still not seeing that loss but you're still on narcotics, you may react to pain medicine like me....aka turning into the staypufft marshmellow man. 

Thanks everyone! I have been searching everywhere to find others who reported this, and I honestly couldn't find anything. They really ought to warn you about that ahead of time, just so you don't freak out!

I keep reading about people who are down 20 pounds at 2 weeks post op, and I'm not even back to my pre-op weight. Every day is a new adventure, discovery, set-back, jump forward, sensation, etc  

I'm so glad to have found this forum!

Depending on the length of your surgery, its not uncommon to receive 1-3 liters of fluid per hour of surgery (each liter weighing about 2.2 pounds) - more if for any reason your BP was a little low while they were operating (incredibly common), and often another liter or two post op. Then your body is in a bit of shock afterwards, and the stress response is to keep all the water it can until it calms down a little :) I remember freaking out after my gallbladder was removed - even working in medical, I was not prepared to go home, stand on a scale after not eating for two days, and see my weight up 11 pounds! Just like drinking more fluids helps with normal, everyday bloating, it'll help your body release a bit of the excess if you're getting in enough fluids afterwards. Focus on your intake and let your body figure it's junk out :) 

On July 16, 2017 at 7:51 PM, Madhouse said:

I keep reading about people who are down 20 pounds at 2 weeks post op, and I'm not even back to my pre-op weight. Every day is a new adventure, discovery, set-back, jump forward, sensation, etc  

I can totally relate to that...that certainly didn't happen to me either! But everyone really is different in their body's reaction to any type of surgery, let alone WLS.

I gained 4 lbs in the hospital. I weighed this morning and lost 2 of them.  I figure like @BurgundyBoy said the other 2 will be gone tomorrow and then I should start dropping some weight.  I not going to freak out when I know I am following all the rules.

On 8/11/2017 at 10:45 PM, tracyringo said:

I gained 4 lbs in the hospital. I weighed this morning and lost 2 of them.  I figure like @BurgundyBoy said the other 2 will be gone tomorrow and then I should start dropping some weight.  I not going to freak out when I know I am following all the rules.

Yes, like @Cheesehead says, don't be the slave or pawn of the scale! This is a long distance race, not a daily sprint...Congrats on getting your surgery!

I appreciate all of the feedback. I'm now 5 weeks post op, and I am down 26, which includes my 10 pounds of water weight gained during surgery. Although I'm losing "slowly" when compared to some (I have a friend who lost that much in the two weeks before surgery!!), I have been reminded and encouraged by your words that this is not a competition nor a race. This is me learning how to eat right and move more for the rest of my life. I'm feeling well, and I'm moving in the right direction. I guess that's all I can really ask for!!

Keep on keeping on!

It sounds like you have a great attitude. I was frustrated early out, too (comparing myself to others, of course) but the scale kept moving, and that made me feel a lot better about things.

It looks like you have done EXTREMELY well, Jen581791! Congratulations! I hope to have good long-term results as well!

1 hour ago, Madhouse said:

It looks like you have done EXTREMELY well, Jen581791! Congratulations! I hope to have good long-term results as well!

Thank you! I am so pleased. 

You're moving along the pathway to success now as we speak, just keep going!