Tomorrow is Surgery Day!

AK8483

So tomorrow is the big day and of course I'm getting the last minute jitters. What is the approx surgery time for gastric bypass? I know everyone is different just wanted an idea:rolleyes:

Hey @AK8483! We are surgery twins...7/11 is my big day too! I am also having gastric bypass. I was told surgery last about 2hours. Hope that helps. Don't be nervous....breath and think about what the future holds for the healthy and slim you!!! One of my best friends told me this today, and it really helped...."Think of the surgery like a car. Keep your focus on the windshield and not the rearview mirror, where the view is smaller. Point your attention forward so you can see the big view and picture of where you are headed." I thought that was great and calming. What time do you have to be at the hospital? I have to be there about 8 am. Wishing you the very very best!

Wow! I have to be there by 8am also:D

Thanks for the encouragement, and well wishes to you.

10 minutes ago, AK8483 said:

So tomorrow is the big day and of course I'm getting the last minute jitters. What is the approx surgery time for gastric bypass? I know everyone is different just wanted an idea:rolleyes:

Maybe 90 minutes if nothing else being done. When the anesthesiologist comes by after your surgery to ask how you are doing, you can find out the exact amount of time you were out. (But you will have been under anesthesia and wouldn't know if it was an hour or three and will likely have some degree of amnesia... Be sure to post to the site after surgery and let us know how you are doing!]

Remember that however 'big' this surgery is to us, in the surgical world it is distinctly not "big time." That is meant to be reassuring. WLS is NOT trivial but it is not heroic either. It is elective surgery and the risks are pretty darn low. Be of good cheer and I hope you get some sleep tonight instead of checking posts here. 

1 minute ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Maybe 90 minutes if nothing else being done. When the anesthesiologist comes by after your surgery to ask how you are doing, you can find out the exact amount of time you were out. (But you will have been under anesthesia and wouldn't know if it was an hour or three and will likely have some degree of amnesia... Be sure to post to the site after surgery and let us know how you are doing!]

Remember that however 'big' this surgery is to us, in the surgical world it is distinctly not "big time." That is meant to be reassuring. WLS is NOT trivial but it is not heroic either. It is elective surgery and the risks are pretty darn low. Be of good cheer and I hope you get some sleep tonight instead of checking posts here. 

Thanks! That really put me at ease. I am also having hiatal hernia repair.

you've probably bought 2 hours of quality time with your surgeon then. I had a HH repair too and have had essentially no significant post-op reflux or acid pains and wish you the same good outcome. 

Stop reading the Forum and get some sleep, you are supposed to be anxious, cross, excitable and otherwise irascible now. Being calm, reasonable, and even-tempered now is distinctly uncommon. If you stay up too late tonight we will send you complete falsehood stories about developing intractable itching and purple spots after surgery. 

ZZZZ. Best wishes to you and to @Trish13 who is probably asleep. As you should be. ;) Do post when you are able after your surgery! 

Hmm. Wondering if he sleeping ??? Good luck to both of you tomorrow morning !

Good luck to both of you - let us know how it went. Exciting times on the losers bench await. :)

18 hours ago, Trish13 said:

Hey @AK8483! We are surgery twins...7/11 is my big day too! I am also having gastric bypass. I was told surgery last about 2hours. Hope that helps. Don't be nervous....breath and think about what the future holds for the healthy and slim you!!! One of my best friends told me this today, and it really helped...."Think of the surgery like a car. Keep your focus on the windshield and not the rearview mirror, where the view is smaller. Point your attention forward so you can see the big view and picture of where you are headed." I thought that was great and calming. What time do you have to be at the hospital? I have to be there about 8 am. Wishing you the very very best!

How's it going Trish?

Edited by AK8483

On 7/11/2017 at 5:57 PM, AK8483 said:

Hello everyone so far so good:)

Yay! Glad to hear it. Get some rest and let everyone wait on you. :)