Alioops

Potty Mouth

I have  poked around this site and not yet seen a question that weighs heavy on my mind. Is it possible to have normal bowel movements when you are eating so much less food and nothing that qualifies as roughage after surgery?

ds54-2.jpg

There are many "poop" threads on here; it is an all too common issue post WLS.  In the immediate post-op period constipation may be anesthesia and pain med related.  Longer term I don't think it is necessarily because of the surgery but as you say more diet related.  I know when I was on South Beach Diet years ago (which is high protein low carb) I experienced constipation for the first time in my life and I was eating "normal" quantities.  So, it's not surprising that the same diet only less of it would cause the same.

Walking helps, as does adequate fluid intake.  People often use stool softeners or products like Miralax or Senna (which is the laxative ingredient in Senokot and in Smooth Move Tea).  In the early post op period you should check with your program to see what they recommend.  It's important not to let it go too long; the longer you wait the harder it gets...literally :)

Eventually, yes normal bowel movements are achievable as you learn what works for you.  I remember being amused by my grandfather's obsession with having his daily poop.  Suddenly it's not as funny anymore lol.

Love the picture!

Early out, bowel movements are different and so they should be given the small amount and lack of roughage in our diet but as time goes on, they go back to normal.

My diet after the first 6-8 months ended up being far healthier than I had eaten before.  As long as I met my protein requirement, the rest consisted of lots of vegetables, salads and fruits, some nuts and no starchy carbs like breads, crackers, chips and cereals etc.  

As a consequence, my stools are well formed and way less smelly because I'm not eating crappy junk. 

Thank you MsMaryMac and cinwa. I am finding it a little hard to negotiate my way around this site. When I have a question, I am not sure if I dig through all the thousands of old posts looking for an answer or just start a new post. For example, two questions I want to ask involve second thoughts after successfully losing weigh pre-surgery and how do people exercise when it is deathly hot. West Sacramento is almost always over 90 in the summer and typically dips up as high as 106 degrees or some number between 90-106. I walk for exercise so I wanted to see how others coped. Advice on how others use this site would be very helpful.

Thanks.

40 minutes ago, Alioops said:

Thank you MsMaryMac and cinwa. I am finding it a little hard to negotiate my way around this site. When I have a question, I am not sure if I dig through all the thousands of old posts looking for an answer or just start a new post. For example, two questions I want to ask involve second thoughts after successfully losing weigh pre-surgery and how do people exercise when it is deathly hot. West Sacramento is almost always over 90 in the summer and typically dips up as high as 106 degrees or some number between 90-106. I walk for exercise so I wanted to see how others coped. Advice on how others use this site would be very helpful.

Thanks.

A little of both :-) 

Just in the interest of taking advantage of all the historical knowledge that is on this site, you should take some time here and there and just hit the "Unread Content" link, and just start skimming! Keep going and going, and read the stuff that interests you.

But there's no reason you can't post a new topic though and ask your questions. Some questions DO get asked over and over, and on some level I suppose it can get a bit tiresome. But the larger picture there is that this site is constantly attracting new members, who each bring their own experiences and ideas. So while the topic may have been posted a month ago, posting it today almost guarantees that someone will see it that didn't see it before.

And after all, we're all here to share knowledge and support each other :-)

Thank you Michael_A. I guess I should hit the Unread stuff and see if my questions have been asked! I appreciate your response!

Quick answer to your questions.  

Second thoughts???  By the time a MO person gets to the surgery stage, most have lost and gained, lost and gained, lost and gained.  Haven't you?  If you are considering surgery, isn't one of the factors is that you are lacking some essential tool to keep off the weight?  Keep in mind, the surgery is just a tool... a powerful tool... but you will still will be doing all the work. Most successful WLS patients will tell you they couldn't have done this without the tool.  I say I couldn't have done this without the tool.  

Exercising in the heat??   L.A. is not as hot as Sacramento but even here, especially right now, I go out VERY EARLY in the morning.  My first summer post WLS, I joined a local aquatics center and took water aerobics.  It's AMAZING how graceful one feels in the water.   

On 7/8/2017 at 1:45 PM, Alioops said:

Thanks.

As far as second thoughts with successful pre-surgery dieting. I always ask people if they had short term success on other diets. The answer is usually yes. Then I ask them how long until they got to goal weight (never) and how long until they gained it all back...usually within a year and then some. If that is the case, then you aren't having success until you keep it off. If you have never REALLY tried to diet, you owe it to yourself to try. If you have, then you owe it to yourself to trust the data that shows this is your best shot at achieving and maintaining a healthy weight...both ways take a lot of work, but one way has proven to give you a long term advantage.

When it comes to exercise, I get up super early before the sun comes up when the temp is really high. I will swim or run in the water during the heat of the day, but I don't run outside in the high heat. My husband is a night owl, so he prefers to exercise after dark in the evenings...same idea. Other than that, a treadmill or gym gives you a climate controlled option. 

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:45 PM, Alioops said:

Thanks.

Don't ever hesitate to ask a question, even if it's been asked before!  I only mentioned the many threads on this issues to illustrate that it is a very common issue.  You'll soon get the hang of searching a topic and you'll learn so much, at least I know I did when I was pre-op and early post-op.

No second thoughts for me.  I already knew I was good at losing weight...I've done it soooo many times.  What I sucked at was keeping it off which is why I wanted this tool. 

It's very hot here right now; supposed to be 103 today with high humidity.  On these days I either walk at the mall (boring but cool) or walk on the track at the gym (they have a second story walking track that overlooks the basketball court.  Sometimes I walk at the aquatic center here.  After regular hours it is open for exercisers and walking against the current in the lazy river is a good workout. 

Something pointed out to me many years ago on this forum was that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

On 7/6/2017 at 3:32 PM, Alioops said:

I have  poked around this site and not yet seen a question that weighs heavy on my mind. Is it possible to have normal bowel movements when you are eating so much less food and nothing that qualifies as roughage after surgery?

@Alioops 

- Early on I realized I would have to add fiber to be sure I had normal BMs. Most days I still start with a protein shake blended with some fruit, a 1/2 teaspoon of a neutral heart-healthy oil (such as walnut) which also decreases the foaming of the protein shake when blended, and 1 or 2 tablespoons of psyllium husk. Psyllium is the stuff in metamucil. I bought psyllium capsules at Costco but have found that the big jar of the loose psyllium is easier to use when blending. I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't be able to take this even during your liquid stage after surgery - as I recall metamucil is capsules is on the approved list for my surgical team, and the loose powder is just the same minus the capsule that dissolves... I also took a probiotic for the week before, and perhaps 10 days after, surgery and never had single gas pain after surgery. My incisions hurt a bit, and I had the shoulder/chest pains from dissolved surgical gas, but not my innards. 

- Everyone has second thoughts. I roasted 2 ducks, potatoes and zucchini, and made pea soup puree last night for a dinner party, and for a while I was wistfully thinking about prior duck feasts. But we had a rollicking good time - I just ate a lot less but had 100% of the fun, the conversation, and the conviviality. 

- re: exercise, it just has to be the extremes of the day, early or late, or a gym/club with AC. Metro Boston rarely gets as hot as Sacramento but it does get very muggy - if a cycling day is like that, I just have to get up really early and get the ride in before 7 or 8 am. My neighborhood club has both an indoor and an outdoor pool so my swims are all the more pleasant if it is hot! I took up swimming before my surgery since my back, one hip, both knees don't much like walking or jogging too very much. It's a bit of a hassle changing clothes if I am in a rush during the day but my neighborhood club swim group and the guards are all 100% invested in my weight loss - so I get a lot of positive reinforcement and support when I swim. Am trying to make sure I have some form of exercise I can do year-round (like swimming) which has social support embedded in its structure. I love cycling but I avoid it if it is raining, too hot or too cold, snowing... and I don't have any cycling buddies free during the week, so it is more solitary. 

On 7/8/2017 at 1:45 PM, Alioops said:

Thanks.

This may seem like a silly suggestion, but hear me out. If you aren't a member of a gym or partial to waking up very early, try "Mallercising". One of my classmates is writing her dissertation on the ways that seniors exercise in inclement weather. You walk around each floor of a mall at a fast pace. This is very popular with seniors in the Boston area who arrive at the mall before the shops open and take advantage of the building's heat/AC. Many people become friendly with one another and form exercise groups.I often resorted to Mallercising when I was pregnant during the summer and dealing with a nasty case of gestational diabetes. 

Mallercising isn't for everyone, but in a sweltering environment, it can be a godsend.    

I'm fascinated sometimes with what some people consider is exercising...seems some think you have to be at a gym to exercise. My dietician asked yesterday about my exercise levels which I admit are pretty poor. When I told her I had spent over a week manually digging up all my garden beds, plus chopping wood every day to keep the fire going, she told me that was just "incidental exercise" and doesn't count. You can tell that woman has never had to pick up and axe and split hardwood!!!!

3 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I'm fascinated sometimes with what some people consider is exercising...seems some think you have to be at a gym to exercise. My dietician asked yesterday about my exercise levels which I admit are pretty poor. When I told her I had spent over a week manually digging up all my garden beds, plus chopping wood every day to keep the fire going, she told me that was just "incidental exercise" and doesn't count. You can tell that woman has never had to pick up and axe and split hardwood!!!!

@Aussie H I'm sure your dietitian is a lovely person and the consummate professional, but I'm not her biggest fan! 

Just thinking about an axe makes my arms ache!

16 minutes ago, NerdyLady said:

@Aussie H I'm sure your dietitian is a lovely person and the consummate professional, but I'm not her biggest fan! 

Me either NerdyLady. Everytime I listen to her I wonder what you'd be copping had you not gone to Mexico for your surgery. This is assuming you don't have a post surgery dietician. We have very similar stats and our surgeries were pretty close together as well.

1 hour ago, Aussie H said:

Me either NerdyLady. Everytime I listen to her I wonder what you'd be copping had you not gone to Mexico for your surgery. This is assuming you don't have a post surgery dietician. We have very similar stats and our surgeries were pretty close together as well.

I think about your journey all the time. We are WLS twins. Fraternal twins, because of our different roads. :)

I have seen a dietitian in the US, but because I didn't go through a program attached to the hospital, she doesn't have a huge impact on my life. I have a dietitian in Mexico, but its a "check in whenever you have a question" type of situation. I think @Jen581791 has a similar situation with her Mexican dietitian. Believe me when I say that I wish you well and I hope your surgeon can give her some perspective. 

10 hours ago, NerdyLady said:

This may seem like a silly suggestion, but hear me out. If you aren't a member of a gym or partial to waking up very early, try "Mallercising". One of my classmates is writing her dissertation on the ways that seniors exercise in inclement weather. You walk around each floor of a mall at a fast pace. This is very popular with seniors in the Boston area who arrive at the mall before the shops open and take advantage of the building's heat/AC. Many people become friendly with one another and form exercise groups.I often resorted to Mallercising when I was pregnant during the summer and dealing with a nasty case of gestational diabetes. 

Mallercising isn't for everyone, but in a sweltering environment, it can be a godsend.    

Speaking of Mallercising, I'm heading to a local mall with an indoor play area because my *very high energy* daughter is bouncing off the walls. It's pouring here so our morning park time is out. I'm off to walk around with her and let her run free. I need new pajamas anyway, so I'm killing two birds with one stone.

Kids, man. Five years ago, I was camping under the stars in Tanzania with a giraffe and elephants calmly eating next to my tent. Today, I am willingly heading to a mall. *SMH* :D

:D