la.craig

Protein first lifestyle but I hate eating meat

I've always been able to eat meat although I was never crazy about it.  But now after surgery, I can't stand it.  Well, I can eat soup with some chopped ham or sausage but slabs of any meat are out of the question because they're repulsive. Both my bariatric and VA nutritionist says this is a protein first lifestyle but I can't compromise on this because I can't force myself to eat things that nauseate me.  Protein will just have to come by way of protein drinks.  Anybody else have this problem?

I'm going to answer your question a different way.

Lots of protein options that aren't meat. I haven't eaten meat in 20+ years and I get in plenty of protein. Eggs, cheese, yogurt, nuts, beans, etc. And, as you've said, protein drinks. 

Edited by Stephtay

I haven't been able to eat meat since my RNY, regardless of what it is or how it's prepared.

Fish and shellfish are fine but I don't want it for every meal so I still rely on a protein shakes to bump up my protein intake and I'm getting on for 10 years post-RNY.

I always thought that meat was the only way for protein but that just is not the case. I will say that I love meat and have no problems but for some it is, there are so many protein options out there now that getting in your grams shouldn't be a problem. :-) research, research.....

Fish! Lo cals, high protein. 

and a favorite of my son (no WLS) too: peanut powder. It is de-fatted and (so long as you like peanuts) delicious. 

I use a fat free milk "Fairlife" that has 13g protein in a cup. Every little bit helps.

Somewhat similar situation. I don't mind meat perhaps as much as you do, but it doesn't agree with me if I eat just plain meat. Fish has been my saving grace and answer to protein...so I've taken on more of a Pescetarian style diet and so far I really enjoy it. Unfortunately I live in the desert so finding "fresh" seafood is near impossible with a few exceptions, but it is Vegas so there are plenty of nice restaurants with amazing seafood options.

hummus, cheese, nuts, tofu and a daily protein drink are all daily sources for this vegetarian.  biggest change for me is making sure I add a protein to everything even salads.  tracking in my fitness pal helps me make sure I have met goals.  if not i grab a spoon of peanut butter or a cheese stick.  Good luck and there's many of us and this place is a great resource for ideas from others.  

I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian (I consume eggs and dairy) as well and have had no problem with getting in protein.  Of course, I'm only 3 weeks post-op so I have not lived 'the lifestyle' for a long time but I find that there are multiple options to get me to my protein goal.  I second @CoTN comment on tracking in My Fitness Pal - I only started using that app after reading about it on this forum and am a complete convert!  I'm only bummed that Jawbone is stopping their integration into the app as I could see my exercise efforts directly uploaded into my calories burned.

I choose not to eat the higher carb protein sources (e.g., hummus, nuts, peanut butter, beans - think any vegetable that grows underground), but utilize egg whites, cheese, tofu, protein powders. If you have never experimented with tofu, please give it a go!  Tofu can be so diverse - taking on the flavors of what you cook with - when you use the firm or silken varieties. 

Basic how to cook crispy tofu:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/vegan-experience-crispy-tofu-worth-eating-recipe.html

52 ways to use tofu:

https://greatist.com/health/healthy-tofu-recipes