Chef42974

Losing too fast?

So I have a question. This Monday i will be 3 weeks post op and i am already down 40 pounds. Am I losing too fast?  I am following my diet getting my protein and my water I am walking about 2 to 3 miles a day. It just feels like it's too fast but I don't know. 

Seems fast, yes, although (1) some will be water weight, maybe even most of it, and (2) are you a dude? Guys tend to lose faster. Have you contacted your program?

Weight loss in the first month is the most rapid... as @Carina says a lot of water weight goes then. Did you have water retention or lower leg distention from fluids before your surgery? That is a pretty good sign that you had some pretty significant water weight you could lose. My starting weight was lower than yours and we are about the same height... and boy did I have a lot of water on board! I think in my first week I lost 10 lbs, with an overall loss of 28 lbs in the first month. When I look at our starting weights and how much we have both lost during that interval, I bet it is a roughly similar percentage. 

So tally ho and enjoy the loss.

This weight loss rate does seem a bit too large, but as long as you are following the diet plan I would not worry, and instead would be happy to be losing so quickly.  

Your weight loss may plateau some time soon in order to allow the rest of your body to catch up to this rapid weight loss.  Also, I would not expect this weight loss rate to continue.

One caution - very rapid weight loss does put you at increased risk for problems with your gall bladder.  So be sure to seek medical help if you feel sudden sharp internal pain or display other symptoms of a gall bladder problem (unless, of course, you have already had your gall bladder removed).

17 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

This weight loss rate does seem a bit too large, but as long as you are following the diet plan I would not worry, and instead would be happy to be losing so quickly.  

Your weight loss may plateau some time soon in order to allow the rest of your body to catch up to this rapid weight loss.  Also, I would not expect this weight loss rate to continue.

One caution - very rapid weight loss does put you at increased risk for problems with your gall bladder.  So be sure to seek medical help if you feel sudden sharp internal pain or display other symptoms of a gall bladder problem (unless, of course, you have already had your gall bladder removed).

Thank you for the input. Thankfully my gallbladder has been gone for many years now. As far as water I was not retaining much day of surgery. I truly think it's mostly fat loss. I can see it in the mirror and feel it in my clothes. Idk I guess I will just keep on keeping on at this point. 

Embrace it! This rate won't last forever. Don't be hard on yourself when it slows down. Congrats on your amazing head start.

9 hours ago, Chef42974 said:

So I have a question. This Monday i will be 3 weeks post op and i am already down 40 pounds. Am I losing too fast?  I am following my diet getting my protein and my water I am walking about 2 to 3 miles a day. It just feels like it's too fast but I don't know. 

I imagine your surgeon would be expecting a huge initial weightloss from you as you're being very compliant to plan. As others have said, you're male which helps, plus you had a pretty high start weight. No offence meant but starting weight also makes a big difference. In a couple of weeks your body will very likely go into a weightloss shock, stop losing and you'll be wondering what is wrong. That's just the ups and downs of the journey.

10 hours ago, Chef42974 said:

I lost 40lbs the first week. Not kidding. The very first week, home from the hospital, I dropped 40 lbs that quickly. (Then it stalled for a while.)

32 minutes ago, Zyia said:

I lost 40lbs the first week. Not kidding. The very first week, home from the hospital, I dropped 40 lbs that quickly. (Then it stalled for a while.)

Pffft. One week? Your docs must have been peeing their pants in fear. Am guessing you had some serious water weight there. 

3 hours ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Pffft. One week? Your docs must have been peeing their pants in fear. Am guessing you had some serious water weight there. 

I don't think so. That they were worried, I got the sense that it didn't really matter to them. But yes I wasn't able to keep any food down that first week, and spent the first two days after surgery vomiting, everything. But it was my understanding that that was pretty normal. Afterwards I went home, and I was wondering if he even did the surgery, I wasn't in any pain, and stalled for a while. 

I can only dare to dream 40 lbs in the first week !!!   Lol

On 01/07/2017 at 2:04 PM, Chef42974 said:

I have also lost around 36 lbs but have now stalled - ramping up the swimming now. My doc says it's fine - just said to make sure to keep having plenty of water and concentrate on protein first.  I still have no sensation of being hungry or 'full' just started getting a little pain as have started on more substantial food so definitely know the pouch is there now. I need to set an alarm to remember to eat. My Doc is not a fan of calorie counting but has told me to not starve myself which will help with the stall and must keep up the exercise - he says this is the transition point for the long haul and totally normal - definitely should not expect to keep losing at the early rate. He seems pretty confident I should hit 75% excess weight loss over next 9-12 months and should stop weighing myself daily now. 

Congratulations Alchemist - you're off to a great start Alchemist.  Best advice I can give is to keep doing what you're doing and don't get too obsessed with the scales.  We don't lose weight at a constant rate.

On 7/2/2017 at 5:26 AM, Zyia said:

I'm almost 3 months out and yet to see a 40lb loss! :D

1 minute ago, Raddy said:

I'm almost 3 months out and yet to see a 40lb loss! :D

Oh, you know how Chefs can be... fast out of the pan ... some of us are just the slow cooking types and take time...

1 minute ago, BurgundyBoy said:

Oh, you know how Chefs can be... fast out of the pan ... some of us are just the slow cooking types and take time...

Hahaha!

On 7/1/2017 at 9:04 AM, Chef42974 said:

OK Chef... did you lose another 40 lbs in the last week? If so I want to start drinking the water supplied to your house... If you are in a stall now it would make sense but maybe you have the special mojo...

On 7/8/2017 at 0:55 PM, BurgundyBoy said:

OK Chef... did you lose another 40 lbs in the last week? If so I want to start drinking the water supplied to your house... If you are in a stall now it would make sense but maybe you have the special mojo...

No as of today I am 4 weeks post op and am down 50 pounds. I am just following my doctor's orders. Getting in my water and protein and exercise. I'm walking 2 to 3 miles a day. I guess everyone looses different.