Hi. I'm a newbie and just starting the process. I will be going to the bariatric doctor to start my 6 month supervised weight loss in a couple of weeks. I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but I can't find it. What do you eat the first week after gastric bypass? I believe it's just liquids so do you pretty much drink protein shakes? I'm sure I'll get info from the doctor and the surgeon, but I'd like to have some idea now. (Impatient) Thanks.

I was given soup, yoghurt, fruche, and weetbix with milk in the hospital. I tended to stick with this my first week at home but also included puréed vegetables and protien shakes.

I could have thicker liquids when I went home; strained cream soups, thinned yogurt.  

Each program is different..

I was on a clear liquid diet for a week (I'll be 10 years post-RNY in September) but that doesn't seem too common these days.

Clear broth/bouillon, apple or grape juice (diluted 50:50 with water), herbal tea (decaf).

I was on clear liquids for a week but there was a clear protein drink, Isopure, that I was supposed to be drinking every day. I know it sounds difficult, but food was really not tempting at all then. I was staying in a hotel that week and went to the hotel buffet breakfast - a big, beautiful Mexican breakfast buffet full of things I would have LOVED the week before that - and was happy to sit at a table drinking herbal tea with my husband while he was going back for seconds. 

Good luck in your supervised weight loss period - I hope the motivation of having WLS at the end of that time helps you with your progress during that time :) 

7 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I was given soup, yoghurt, fruche, and weetbix with milk in the hospital. I tended to stick with this my first week at home but also included puréed vegetables and protien shakes.

So it seems like Australia follows the European school of thought with WLS, where more solid-ish foods are introduced much earlier, in your case in the hospital even? I was surprised reading @Carina's account that she also was eating yogurt almost immediately.

2 hours ago, Michael_A said:

So it seems like Australia follows the European school of thought with WLS, where more solid-ish foods are introduced much earlier, in your case in the hospital even? I was surprised reading @Carina's account that she also was eating yogurt almost immediately.

@Snuggles'Mom and @Michael_A in hospital was on clear liquids, by 48 hours after surgery on full liquids... which included yogurt drinks and yogurt. Doesn't take much effort for your traumatized stomach to let it through to the intestines....

I was allowed protein shakes, water, 50/50 diluted juices, decaf coffee and tea, broth, sugar free jello and Popsicles, crystal light or MIO, sugar free kook-aid, lactose free skim milk and flavored water. 

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. It certainly looks like there's some variation depending on the surgeon. @Jen581791 thanks for the reassurance that I won't be hungry. I've read that before but it's good to hear again.

Edited by Snuggles'Mom
Misspellings
3 minutes ago, Snuggles'Mom said:

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. It certainly looks like there's some variations depending on the surgeon. @Jen581791 thanks for the reassurance that I won't be hungry. I've read that before but it's good to hear again.

Some people apparently are, and I respect their struggle. To get as much info as possible beforehand about what it might be like afterwards, though, you might want to look into the idea of "head hunger," which sounds sort of insultingly like "imaginary hunger" but isn't. A lot of the signals we get from our guts that we think are hunger actually aren't, and after WLS, the nerves in our new stomachs aren't working correctly, so they shouldn't be able to actually be hungry (again, respect to those who have found this not to be true in their cases). After surgery, our guts are busy doing things that we can feel and hear (unfortunately) and that seem like hunger, but usually aren't. For example, when you think about something really tasty, your stomach might growl soon after - this isn't actual physical hunger, but signals like hunger that are brought about because of your brain, not your stomach. If you're ready to start working on identifying when you feel head hunger, you might be able to beat it better. I'm linking to a video by a bariatric surgeon named Dr. Matthew Weiner. In it, he discusses head hunger in hopefully not too condescending a way - it's worth thinking about and being prepared for. Early after surgery, when my guts were doing weird things, I was able to identify that it wasn't actual hunger going on, and that helped me a lot in feeling calmer about it.

Just after surgery, it felt CRAZY how little I could eat and how I really didn't feel hungry. It's hard to imagine before surgery just how big a change it is.  

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Bluetardis45 said:

I know this is an old post, but great video. 

Dr Matthew Weiner videos are so informative and credible. Unlike a certain other ex bariatric surgeon who is rearing his money-grubhing head on my recommended list again...he must be running out of money again.

Well personally here in Australia my surgeon put me on to protein drinks in the hospital and I was on shakes myself for a while actually had no Hunger of any kind for a long time :) but you do progress through different stages as directed by your team