Jen581791

Changing bra sizes as the pounds drop

On 3/30/2018 at 11:06 PM, Jen581791 said:

Indeed. 

Hey, as long as they look fine in clothes! Here's where having a good bra comes into play. I got some "lightly lined" ones that approximate a great shape. I never wore lined bras previously because why would I possibly want them to look bigger. But the lining gives structure now (and visually adds a bit? which I need now?). 

agreed!  plus a smaller band size which helps keep the back anchored down and not riding up as the weight of the front pulls down.  one other thing I just got and love is a BACK smoothing bra!  I was hating the rolls I was getting over my previous bra so this is much better.  I got mine from Cacique (Lane Bryant) which I have used for years!  I've always gotten the underwire balconette but this back smoother is great....it doesn't have the elastic bands on the edges so it is much smoother....much like the support wear that I think Cardamom77 (?) recommended.  Plus it has bigger cup sizes available and you can go to a store to try them (or order on line). I really like mine!  

https://www.lanebryant.com/invisible-backsmoother-lightly-lined-balconette-bra/prd-224438#color/0000032447

Invisible Backsmoother Lightly Lined Balconette Bra - alternate image

5 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

I'm with @Nana Trish. I can't find any bras in stores that fit. I did the measurement thing online, and it said I was a 36F? No store sells that, and I don't want to order a bra that I haven't tried on. Eeek! My current 40D rides up whenever I lift my arms. Don't know where to start.....

Hi Cindy Lou - no, stores in the US don't sell a very wide variety of sizes - which is ridiculous. Your best bet is to find a place online that does returns and go that route. The people at the ABraThatFits Reddit sub are very very helpful about helping people find what they need and helping judge whether things fit well or not. Finding a bra that works on your body is more important that finding a bra that's easily available in a store near you - the right size makes all the difference in how you look and feel. Serious life saver, even if you get sticker shock from the size the calculator tells you.

While I was losing, I wore stretchy type bras so I didn't have to get a new size every month or so, but when I got to GW, I bought new bras using the calculator. The calculator was spot on both before and after I lost weight. Some people, due to differences in shape, may need to go up or down in cup or band size a little bit to find just the right one, but the calculator gives you a good starting point.

Here are a couple of the pages they've put together at ABraThatFits to help: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/buying_guide#wiki_where_to_buy  (Amazon and ebay are good places if you do a little research about the brands that might work best for you)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/index

https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/beginners_guide

https://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/graphics_list

And the calculator for anyone who hasn't done that yet:

http://abrathatfits.org/calculator.php

14 hours ago, CheeringCJ said:

agreed!  plus a smaller band size which helps keep the back anchored down and not riding up as the weight of the front pulls down.  one other thing I just got and love is a BACK smoothing bra!  I was hating the rolls I was getting over my previous bra so this is much better.  I got mine from Cacique (Lane Bryant) which I have used for years!  I've always gotten the underwire balconette but this back smoother is great....it doesn't have the elastic bands on the edges so it is much smoother....much like the support wear that I think Cardamom77 (?) recommended.  Plus it has bigger cup sizes available and you can go to a store to try them (or order on line). I really like mine!  

https://www.lanebryant.com/invisible-backsmoother-lightly-lined-balconette-bra/prd-224438#color/0000032447

Invisible Backsmoother Lightly Lined Balconette Bra - alternate image

Thanks everyone for the input! I still have a ways to go, but totally frustrated at the moment. I have alot of old, smaller shirts that i think will fit if I have a better fitting bra. But I've always had such a hard time finding bras I like, and I still have a ways to go, so I don't want to do the online thing yet. I'll try Lane Bryant, thanks for this tip. And if they don't have one, maybe I'll try a stretchy type until I quit losing. Wish me luck! I'd like to find one today before we go on a July 4 weekend getaway! 

3 hours ago, Cindy Lou Who said:

Thanks everyone for the input! I still have a ways to go, but totally frustrated at the moment. I have alot of old, smaller shirts that i think will fit if I have a better fitting bra. But I've always had such a hard time finding bras I like, and I still have a ways to go, so I don't want to do the online thing yet. I'll try Lane Bryant, thanks for this tip. And if they don't have one, maybe I'll try a stretchy type until I quit losing. Wish me luck! I'd like to find one today before we go on a July 4 weekend getaway! 

If you don’t want to pay a lot, try it on at Lane Bryant and then go onto eBay and see if you can get one there....that is where I got mine.  They have outlet stores and so people will by them on sale there and resell it.  I paid $16 for this one.  I’ve never had any problems w/ the outlet seconds...once I did (the strap was sown on twisted) so I told the seller and they refunded my money.  It’s worth a try if you don’t want to pay tons of money, knowing your size will change, but you know you need support!

In my never ending search for a bra that fits, I have come across Simply Perfect Warner’s. The bra is better for smaller tube sock shaped boobs. The bras have extra side coverage, which support my third and fourth boobs. I have a wide ribcage and I purchased a snug 34 D. 

I’m including the photo of the smirking lady modeling the bra. I think she is the patron saint of bra companies who make $$$ off of women who buy bra after bra in the hopes of a good fit. Look at her!!!

https://www.target.com/p/simply-perfect-by-warner-s-174-women-s-underarm-smoothing-seamless-wireless-bra/-/A-51624176

4E114897-8BE7-458A-822C-980802CCEA24.png

On 7/2/2018 at 9:38 PM, CheeringCJ said:

one other thing I just got and love is a BACK smoothing bra!  I was hating the rolls I was getting over my previous bra so this is much better.  I got mine from Cacique (Lane Bryant) which I have used for years!  I've always gotten the underwire balconette but this back smoother is great....it doesn't have the elastic bands on the edges so it is much smoother....much like the support wear that I think Cardamom77 (?) recommended.  Plus it has bigger cup sizes available and you can go to a store to try them (or order on line). I really like mine!  

@CheeringCJ, thanks for the suggestion! I needed a bra right away for the weekend because my last one was driving me nuts. Went to Lane Bryant and tried the back smoother and loved it. New smaller size. AND all bras there $35 on sale! Not bad. That's worth it to keep the girls happy! Now I can wear my smaller t shirts because my bra isn't so giant! :) yay!

Wasn't it great, @Cindy Lou Who?  I can't believe the difference in my back and side....no more rolls! (And the front supports well.too)  Love it!  Glad you were able to get one (good deal) and that you got a smaller size and love it!  Awesome!