Gretta

Favorite Books?

I love books! Looking for some recommendations to take to the hospital. Please warn me if they are sad. I'll save those recommendations for another time.

My favorites:

You by Caroline Kepnes (dirty but awesome writing)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneggar

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (heck, anything by her)

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Anything by David Sedaris. :D

But you don't need much. You won't be in there that long, and if you're anything like me, you won't really have enough concentration to read a lot. I ended up just listening to music when I wasn't out of it. (So headphones/earbuds are handy.)

I'm stuck in a time warp and love period dramas but I keep returning to Jane Austen.  I have some of her leather bound 1st editions that I read over and over (I bought them second hand).

Gretta, I also love the Time Traveller's Wife and Ready Player One!

If anyone likes Fantasy then I highly highly recommend the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

Does anyone have a good read account? Would love to have more friends on there!

Edited by like_rain_to_sea
I just love books, sorry!

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/28936585-kimberly

Here I am. I read all of the time, even my kids are named after characters from one of my favorite fantasy series (The Sword of Shannara series by Terry Brooks, my kids are Walker (From Walker Boh), Brin (from Brin Ohmsford), and Kira (from Tay Trenfield - First King)). I am going to echo what others have said however, you're not going to be in the hospital long, and you may not be lucid enough to read. I brought my tablet, never used it, and I try to read a book every few days. 

My favorite genres are epic Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Horror, Thriller, Suspense, Mysteries, I give almost all a shot, just not very big on romance, currently I am reading the entire works of Robert E Howard (who created Conan the Barbarian), and The Handmaidens Tale. I did just finish a really interesting sci-fi series called The Fate of Perfection, which was very good - https://www.amazon.com/Fate-Perfection-Finding-Paradise-Book-ebook/dp/B01FSK7IWO - previously I blew through the Breakthrough series, which again was very good - https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Michael-C-Grumley-ebook/dp/B00BVFM04C 

Thanks for these! I'm planning to get audiobooks for the hospital.

Audio books...my husband loves them and listens on his way to and from work. He has very little time to sit down and read, which is his favorite hobby. I'm not a big reader. I like most Stephen King novels, but that's about it. Sorry I couldn't help, lol. 

9 days to go!!! Getting excited yet? :D

50 minutes ago, Trish1967 said:

9 days to go!!! Getting excited yet? :D

Sooooo ready to join the post-op club!

16 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I'm so excited for you, Gretta! 

My favorite book ever is The Poisonwood Bible. It's not sad but an emotional rollercoaster.

Thanks @NerdyLady!

If you read via tablet, I can invite you to my google drive. I have somewhere around the network of 26,000 books, on epub and mobi format and I take requests. Reading your first post, you'd be similar in my tastes for books. 

26 minutes ago, Zyia said:

If you read via tablet, I can invite you to my google drive. I have somewhere around the network of 26,000 books, on epub and mobi format and I take requests. Reading your first post, you'd be similar in my tastes for books. 

Whoa!! You really do love to read!

3 hours ago, like_rain_to_sea said:

If anyone likes Fantasy then I highly highly recommend the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson.

YES to the Mistborn series. I am not a fan of fantasy but this is so good it needs a category of it's own. Same with the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. It is excellent. Most of my favorite books are sad. Geek Love is wonderful and weird. I don't recall it being sad. By Katherine Dunn.

I couldn't concentrate long enough to even watch a kids movie in hospital. My ipod was really all I needed. I took a book but it really only went for the ride.

On May 22, 2017 at 5:33 PM, Gretta said:

You're almost there, Gretta!! ONE WEEK!!!!!

On May 22, 2017 at 5:56 PM, Zyia said:

Woah...that's a lot of books!!

On 5/22/2017 at 2:40 PM, Gretta said:

I love books! Looking for some recommendations to take to the hospital. Please warn me if they are sad. I'll save those recommendations for another time.

My favorites:

You by Caroline Kepnes (dirty but awesome writing)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneggar

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (heck, anything by her)

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum

Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Hi Gretta, I'm a fantasy and SF fan too...

Have read lots of classic murder mysteries, the best have complex characters and intricate plots... PD James my favorite. An Unsuitable Job for a Woman has many interesting elements. 

I've also read the entire Master and Commander series (20+ books) through a bunch of times. O'Brian's writing is full of dry humor, and deeply humane. The age of square rigged ships is so foreign to us, the minute details around actually sailing a ship read almost like science fiction now. Superb historical fiction. 

On 5/22/2017 at 11:54 AM, like_rain_to_sea said:

Hey, I'm reading the Mistborn series right now! Book 2. I really like it. 

The Magicians by Lev Grossman (series of 3) is like Harry Potter and The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe for grown ups - a snarky, ironic, self-aware version, anyway. There's a tv show of it, but it's really different (worse, alas) from the books. 

The Sabriel series by Garth Nix (series of 3) is good. It's read by Tim Curry, who does a fantastic job. 

Her Majesty's Dragon is a fun read (first two or three are better than later ones).

Edited by Jen581791

I really liked Her Majesty's Dragon (I have it on the drive!) I also liked her stand alone book called Uprooted - https://www.amazon.com/Uprooted-Naomi-Novik-ebook/dp/B00KUQIU7O

If you liked the books Twilight (The movies were horrendous In my opinion), you guys may like the "Book of Life" trilogy, it's like a grown up Twilight - Starts with the book "A Discovery of Witches" -  https://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Witches-Novel-Souls-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B004DI7HZ6/

It's one of the few series when I finished reading it, I read it again.  I also have it on the drive. 

Edited by Zyia

Michael Connelly. Harry Bosch series

Lee Child.  Jack reacher series

john Sanford.  Lucas Davenport series and the Virgil flowers series

catherine coulter. FBI series

will give you more but my brain is clogged right now.

4 hours ago, Zyia said:

I really liked Her Majesty's Dragon (I have it on the drive!) I also liked her stand alone book called Uprooted - https://www.amazon.com/Uprooted-Naomi-Novik-ebook/dp/B00KUQIU7O

If you liked the books Twilight (The movies were horrendous In my opinion), you guys may like the "Book of Life" trilogy, it's like a grown up Twilight - Starts with the book "A Discovery of Witches" -  https://www.amazon.com/Discovery-Witches-Novel-Souls-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B004DI7HZ6/

It's one of the few series when I finished reading it, I read it again.  I also have it on the drive. 

Zyia, it sounds like you and I have similar tastes in books. I'll check out your recommendations - I'm an avid reader with a lot of time on my hands at the moment, so thanks :)