Gretta

Oh Yeah! One Bar Maple Doughnut

If you have a lifestyle that makes protein bars necessary, I thought I'd let you know I just tried a really delicious one. The Peanut Butter Pie one is pretty good, too.

Oh Yeah! One Bar Doughnut, Maple Glazed, 12 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N16U5PC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_LYofzbAJE23DZ

19 hours ago, Gretta said:

If you have a lifestyle that makes protein bars necessary, I thought I'd let you know I just tried a really delicious one. The Peanut Butter Pie one is pretty good, too.

Oh Yeah! One Bar Doughnut, Maple Glazed, 12 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N16U5PC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_LYofzbAJE23DZ

I'm a big fan of the Oh Yeah bars. I will have to try this one, thank you! You win for best avatar!

Aw, thanks! Those are dangerously delicious! I must control myself!

I've been eating quest bars for years and only recently discovered the Oh Yeah One bars.  They are a little on the sweet side for me, but when I am in the mood for something over the dge sweet, I really like the peanut butter pie, chocolate chip cookie dough and the seasonal pumpkin pie was really yummy!

Quest is my mainstay but the Birthday Cake Oh Yeah is such a treat like candy!  Love them!  Will have to keep an eye out for a maple donut one! 

1 hour ago, CoTN said:

Quest is my mainstay but the Birthday Cake Oh Yeah is such a treat like candy!  Love them!  Will have to keep an eye out for a maple donut one! 

I've got some Peanut Butter Pie and Salted Caramel Oh Yeah bars being shipped to me. Excited to try these flavors - I've mostly had their Almond Bliss before (which is heavenly, truly like a candy bar). 

6 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

I've got some Peanut Butter Pie and Salted Caramel Oh Yeah bars being shipped to me. Excited to try these flavors - I've mostly had their Almond Bliss before (which is heavenly, truly like a candy bar). 

Yum! Be sure to report back with your review!

1 minute ago, Gretta said:

Yum! Be sure to report back with your review!

Yes, ma'am! :)

I can report fromTODAY that both the peanut butter and the salted caramel are delicious!

Poor planning led to protein bars for breakfast AND lunch for me today. I also have the maple donut and pumpkin pie flavors in my cupboard for other poor planning days, hope those are good too!

Thanks, @Kio! I like the lemon cake flavor, too. ONE bars are the best!

Cinnamon roll flavor with a cup of coffee is amazing :)

I recently ordered the Oh Yeah and Oh Yeah One bars (different flavors, but by far not all of them :lol:) - they arrived and I'm curious about how they'll taste. If they're going to taste like quest bars... *eeeeeek*

I've never been a lover of protein bars and I confess, Quest bars ranked bottom of the list purely because of their cookie dough texture and overly sweet taste. 

Turning them into Quest Bar Cookies helped enough to tempt my DH but not me.  http://www.proteincakery.com/quest-bar-cookies/

OK, Oh Yeah! One Bar review, since I picked my order up in Dubai over the weekend: 

Peanut Butter Pie is very good. It's pretty peanuty and the glaze stuff on the outside makes it nice - most of the Oh Yeah! bars seem to have this magical glaze. 

It's no Almond Bliss or Cinnamon Roll, but it's very good. 

Salted Caramel is also very good. It really tastes like it's candy (OK, so my memory of candy might be a bit hazy at this point...). 

Both are great replacements for a meal when you haven't planned properly. 

I have two new Quest bar flavors, too (coconut cashew and something or other else), which I think I'll have to bake into cookies, as @cinwa posted. I've heard this is a good trick. The back of the boxes even has recipes where you bake them with fillings and stuff. Interesting...

I tested several flavors of Oh Yeah and Oh Yeah One and so far they're good. The Oh Yeah taste better than the Oh Yeah One IMO but - Good Lord! - they're huge. :lol:

24g carbs and 11g sugar alcohol? Oof...no thanks!

3 hours ago, TP1210 said:

24g carbs and 11g sugar alcohol? Oof...no thanks!

The carbs are about half fiber and half sugar alcohols, so depending on how you do with sugar alcohols (fake sugars like erythritol and sorbitol), it ends up OK (net carbs of like 4 I think if you're a person who pays attention to net carbs). I seem to do fine with sugar alcohols, so I eat these bars when I need to for convenience. They're pretty tasty :) but I consider them to be sort of like junk food - probably better to eat whole foods, but better than many options! 

I definitely go by net carbs, which means subtracting fiber and sugar alcohols. Not an every day food, but a lifesaver in some situations. Each to their own. No judgement.

For me, that's too many carbs and too much sugar alcohols. I'm sure they are tasty though!

12 hours ago, summerset said:

Yeah, OMG the CARBS... the CARBS!!!!!1 :rolleyes:

I count net carbs, so I don't include the carbs from sugar alcohols or fiber.  However, protein bars do tend to have so many sugar alcohols that they have certain, um, adverse effects??? on my digestive system... so I don't really have them too often!!

17 hours ago, Kio said:

protein bars do tend to have so many sugar alcohols that they have certain, um, adverse effects??? on my digestive system... so I don't really have them too often!!

...and sometimes I need that!!! :lol:

I'm totally going to hijack this thread to ask: those of you who track net instead of total carbs, how/why did you decide to do that? What are the decision points? I know that everyone needs to make their own decision, but I have no clue why I should/would choose one over the other. (Right now I track total.)

35 minutes ago, kristinwitha_k said:

I'm totally going to hijack this thread to ask: those of you who track net instead of total carbs, how/why did you decide to do that? What are the decision points? I know that everyone needs to make their own decision, but I have no clue why I should/would choose one over the other. (Right now I track total.)

Hey there, thread hijacker! ;)  Leftover behavior from the good old Atkins days, I think? I believe people's bodies' reactions to carbs may differ, but different carbs make me feel different - with fiber, I don't develop the carb cravings after eating them that I do with regular old carbs. It's the same with sugar alcohols for me, they don't seem to affect my system the same way - I think they may with some people, from what people say, though. Your body can't digest fiber carbs the same way it digests regular carbs, so your blood sugar doesn't have the same reaction to eating a gram of fiber carb vs. a gram of white flour carb or a gram of sucrose or glucose or fructose or whatever, for example. Sugar alcohols are apparently also hard for your system to digest - but I think it may vary by the type of sugar alcohol? Erythritol is different from malitol is different from sorbitol, etc., if I remember correctly. Dang it, where are our healthcare worker members when you need them??? Anyone?

Most people who bother to deal with net carbs subtract all the fiber grams from the total carbs. Then, some subtract all the sugar alcohols, and others subtract half, and others do some magic math to come up with what they subtract. I subtract it all, but I don't eat a lot of sugar alcohols, and my body reacts as if it hasn't had carbs when I have sugar alcohols. So I input my Oh Yeah bars as net carbs of 4 or 5, depending. There's usually someone who's already done the math on My Fitness Pal if you search for "Oh Yeah One Bar Salted Caramel net carbs" for example. Btw, I'm not endorsing relying on Oh Yeah One Bars as your sole nutritional source! ;) They're pretty tasty, though. 

1 hour ago, kristinwitha_k said:

@Jen581791 basically said it all for me... sugar alcohols don't seem to affect my blood sugar (I test regularly with a glucose monitor) or my weight loss. The only ones I get regularly are in the form of chewing gum, so I don't worry about it too much.  When I have a One bar, which isn't maybe once or twice a week, I just disregard sugar alcohols. My view is, if it's not knocking me out of ketosis or making my weight loss stall, I'm not going to worry too much about it. 

Fiber doesn't break down in the gut in the same way regular old carbs do, so I don't count those either.  And it's a good thing, because my body actually needs more fiber lately to do its, um, daily business.  :) 

So generally I try to stay in ketosis, which for me is at around 30-40g of net carbs per day.  Most of that comes from dairy like greek yogurt, cheese, protein shakes.  Lately, some of it also comes from a little fruit - strawberries, blackberries and blueberries are the only fruits I eat with any regularity, but every now and then I'll snatch a piece of kiwi or a cube of pineapple from my roomie.  I probably only get about 10 grams of carbs per day from stuff that might be triggering.  That's generally from the three crackers I occasionally have with cheese and lunch meat as a treat, or from the taco shell I layer with refried beans, cheese and greek yogurt for my Tex-Mex food fix.

I guess I would also add that it's important to me to eat both ketogenically and sustainably - and if I were counting every fiber gram against myself, I'd probably lose my mind.  "I need fiber... but I shouldn't have fiber!  But I NEED FIBER!"  So net carbs kind of helps me avoid that endless loop in my brain.  :)