Odd symptoms - Can't swallow, exhausted

ridgetop01

G'day folks. I'm going on 6 years post-op and generally doing fine. This past weekend, however, strange things happened. I went to a dinner party, and was having trouble swallowing - food just seemed to sit in the back of my mouth and I felt I couldn't swallow it, though I managed eventually. Then, I had a hypoglycemic attack, was sweating and confused, got up to go to bathroom and passed out briefly. Seemed fine after. Next day, I was exhausted all day and had some trouble swallowing again and absolutely could not eat some beef and brussels sprouts leftovers from a restaurant meal a few days before, made me very nauseous. Also couldn't eat much supper at all, just got full very fast. Today, very tired again, some issues with swallowing. All of this adds up to pretty much nothing in particular, just a weird combination of things. Does it ring any bells with anyone? I really do not have any other symptoms, DH has been very worried but there's nothing else other than the cold I've had for about a week now.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

You really need to get that checked out and if you no longer have contact with your surgeon , go to your PCP.

Hi Ridgetop01, doubt this has anything to do with your surgery. I'd get seen by my primary care doc asap as the swallowing issue could be from a variety of causes. 

Hi ridgetop :) I see that Dr. Baranov did your surgery...he's doing mine next Wednesday. He's working out of Saratoga Hospital if you need to reach him. I can get you his number if need be. Some of your symptoms sound like they could possibly be thyroid related. Trouble swallowing and exhaustion are big red flags for some type of thyroid dysfunction. I had thyroid cancer last year and had mine removed, but hypo/hyperthyroidism, Hashimoto's disease, etc. can cause those symptoms. Idk about the nausea or hypoglycemic attack. Are you diabetic? I would definitely see your doctor if your symptoms continue. I hope you feel better soon :wub:

• 11 months later...

Hi guys. Checking in with the eventual outcome of this episode. What I didn't mention here, evidently, was that the day before I'd had an episode where I had trouble talking for 2-3 minutes - it felt like I was drunk and I was having to speak slowly in order to speak clearly. It was weird, but it went away, and then the experience described above seemed like low blood sugar stuff, so I ultimately did nothing. Subsequently in the fall I had an appointment with a new general practicioner and in passing I mentioned that to him, and he ordered various tests which ended up with seeing a neurologist, who said the 3 minutes of speech problems was a minor stroke, and he could see some damage in the speech centers of the brain MRI I had. I have absolutely no idea if the symptoms I described above were related to the stroke, or what - they don't seem to be, but who knows. Subsequently I've been fine (thankfully) so, I guess I will count my blessings. I will say, however, that it's important for all of us as we get older to be aware of the symptoms of a stroke, as outlined by the acronym FAST - Face drooping, difficulties using an Arm, Speech difficulties, Tell someone. I clearly had speech difficulties, and if I'd been aware of that symptom list I might have done something. As it was, I was very lucky that nothing else happened, because the neurologist says the first 48 hours after the initial stroke are the most dangerous. 

So, folks, remember "FAST", it might save your life someday!!! 

Blessings to you all...

Edited by ridgetop01

6 minutes ago, ridgetop01 said:

Hi guys. Checking in with the eventual outcome of this episode. What I didn't mention here, evidently, was that the day before I'd had an episode where I had trouble talking for 2-3 minutes - it felt like I was drunk and I was having to speak slowly in order to speak clearly. It was weird, but it went away, and then the experience described above seemed like low blood sugar stuff, so I ultimately did nothing. Subsequently in the fall I had an appointment with a new general practicioner and in passing I mentioned that to him, and he ordered various tests which ended up with seeing a neurologist, who said the 3 minutes of speech problems was a minor stroke, and he could see some damage in the speech centers of the brain MRI I had. I have absolutely no idea if the symptoms I described above were related to the stroke, or what - they don't seem 

Yikes.  Has this stroke caused any long term effects?  Are you now on any blood thinners or other anti-stroke medications?

The only thing I can say about long term is just a sense that I have some trouble, once in a while, with reading aloud - I'll stumble over a word here or there, and it seems a bit more frequent than it used to be - I have always enjoyed reading aloud and am reasonably good at it. Otherwise I seem to be fine - like I said, I was VERY fortunate. We did blood work, my cholesterol looks really good but the neurologist says that after a stroke you want to try to get your LDL value at 70 or below, so I am on a statin - mine was 80, which was excellent, but we are trying to get it somewhat lower. Plus, I do take a baby aspirin daily now, ran that by my gastric bypass practice of course, they see no problem with it. Thanks for asking, and remember that "FAST" acronym. 

Thank you for sharing. I'm so happy it was minor and you lived to tell the tale. I will be remembering your advice for sure.

9 hours ago, ridgetop01 said:

Hi guys. Checking in with the eventual outcome of this episode. What I didn't mention here, evidently, was that the day before I'd had an episode where I had trouble talking for 2-3 minutes - it felt like I was drunk and I was having to speak slowly in order to speak clearly. It was weird, but it went away, and then the experience described above seemed like low blood sugar stuff, so I ultimately did nothing. Subsequently in the fall I had an appointment with a new general practicioner and in passing I mentioned that to him, and he ordered various tests which ended up with seeing a neurologist, who said the 3 minutes of speech problems was a minor stroke, and he could see some damage in the speech centers of the brain MRI I had. I have absolutely no idea if the symptoms I described above were related to the stroke, or what - they don't seem to be, but who knows. Subsequently I've been fine (thankfully) so, I guess I will count my blessings. I will say, however, that it's important for all of us as we get older to be aware of the symptoms of a stroke, as outlined by the acronym FAST - Face drooping, difficulties using an Arm, Speech difficulties, Tell someone. I clearly had speech difficulties, and if I'd been aware of that symptom list I might have done something. As it was, I was very lucky that nothing else happened, because the neurologist says the first 48 hours after the initial stroke are the most dangerous. 

So, folks, remember "FAST", it might save your life someday!!! 

Blessings to you all...

Bless you .how scary for you x thanks for posting a great reminder

Thanks for checking back in, and glad it wasn’t worse, and that you’re feeling better now. Scary. 

Ill keep your information in mind, thank you.