Sojourner

Hormonal Imbalance

I am awaiting news of my surgery date, but am concerned about potential hormonal imbalances that I understand can take place after surgery. I had such a horrible experience with imbalance after my hysterectomy that I am frightened at what might happen after GB. Would someone please share their experience so I have an idea of what I might expect? I know we're all different, but the unknown is extremely frightening to me. Thanks!

Welcome to Thinner Times Sojourner!

I had no hormonal imbalance issues post-RNY.  Hopefully, you will be the same.

I experienced a surge of estrogen, which for me was great as I had started having hot flashes and unpredictable periods.  Fat cells store estrogen so as we lose weight hormones can change.  It shouldn't be anywhere nearly as drastic as what you would experience after hysterectomy since if you also had ovaries removed you'd be in overnight menopause.

When I stopped losing weight, the hot flashes were back and periods stopped altogether (knock on wood) so it's not forever.  That's just my experience, yours may be entirely different.

I had no issues...aside from freezing all the time-I have no clue what hot flashes are;)

I have had 6 surgeries for a variety of things and I have never had a post-op hormonal imbalance. Ask your doctor how common it is. 

Thank you for all your replies. My anxiety in waiting for my surgery has gotten the better of me.

Today I went for my nuclear stress test, and if my results come back alright, I will finally hear my surgery date. Now the real anxiety begins!

This surgery can do a few weird things. I had a hot flash a few weeks after my gastric bypass (and I am a guy :o).  Hang in there, as the surgery can really make things so much better for you.