Mommab

So frustrated

I am so frustrated. I had RNY on March 8. I lost 9 pounds the first week. Now. Today is the 31st and still at only 9 lbs. I don't understand. I am exercising. Sticking to my plan. I have several friends who went thru this and they dropped weight like crazy. I am feeling like a failure !! 

You're not a failure, nor should you assume your experience will be exactly like someone else's. I lost about 15 lbs in the first three weeks, then stalled out for almost 2 weeks. Don't give up, you're not even a month out. Sometimes, the weight loss happens in fits and starts. It doesn't happen exponentially, for sure. Give it time, follow your plan, and cut yourself some slack. You may also be dealing with swelling issues or your body re-calibrating because you did just have major surgery.

Keep with it, you'll lose, and you'll look back at this and laugh. Trust me. ;)

Something you might want to do is measure yourself, maybe monthly.  Measure everything; neck, thigh, ankles, wrist, upper arms, as well as bust, waist and hips.  Sometimes when you aren't losing the inches are still disappearing.  

Right now it's your body adjusting to surgery.  It was a major shock.  Give it some time.  I never noticed a stall, but I only weighed myself every other week.  I didn't want to be a slave to the scale...

You are doing fine.  At the three week mark I had lost 11 pounds.  Stick with the plan and it will start coming off again.  It is not a straight line.  As has been suggested measure yourself and see how the inches come off.

Good luck

You'll drive yourself crazy if you keep comparing yourself to others Mommab.

Keep doing what you're doing and try to keep off the scales.  They'll just drive you insane.

4 hours ago, cinwa said:

You'll drive yourself crazy if you keep comparing yourself to others Mommab.

Keep doing what you're doing and try to keep off the scales.  They'll just drive you insane.

So true !! I am trying. 

I also had my surgery done in Dameron, by Coirin's partner, Coates. I think if you read, that a lot of people here have similar experiences with the 3 week stall. I know I did. I went through the two weeks after leaving the hospital wondering if I even had the surgery done, I wasn't in any pain, I could move around, and I wasn't losing weight. I had my self almost convinced that he went in there and didn't do the surgery. 

Regardless, my two cents, don't compare yourself to others. They are not you, and they are not in your body. Remember that this is a tool, and soon it will start happening. I didn't go the route that people tend to do on the forums, I weigh myself every single day, I've personally been in a stall for about two months, but I have lost 130lbs in total so far. It can be agonizing if you compare yourself to others, just follow your plan and stick with it. 

4 hours ago, Zyia said:

I also had my surgery done in Dameron, by Coirin's partner, Coates. I think if you read, that a lot of people here have similar experiences with the 3 week stall. I know I did. I went through the two weeks after leaving the hospital wondering if I even had the surgery done, I wasn't in any pain, I could move around, and I wasn't losing weight. I had my self almost convinced that he went in there and didn't do the surgery. 

Regardless, my two cents, don't compare yourself to others. They are not you, and they are not in your body. Remember that this is a tool, and soon it will start happening. I didn't go the route that people tend to do on the forums, I weigh myself every single day, I've personally been in a stall for about two months, but I have lost 130lbs in total so far. It can be agonizing if you compare yourself to others, just follow your plan and stick with it. 

Thank you. I can honestly say your words sound like how i feel. That brought me comfort !! I will be patient. 

I'm 7 weeks out, and I know that I'm feeling this too, although I know I shouldn't compare myself with others. I was at seven pounds down at one week out, and at two weeks out the same. After a week, I lost a little more, then stopped again. Then lost a little more. Then stopped again. It seems to go in fits and starts, but it's starting to accumulate into more significant numbers, and I know that I'm *smaller* than last week or the week before. I've lost 22 pounds since surgery, but I also lost 20 pounds just before it, so I am really starting to see a difference - even though my mind goes a little crazy when I read about people losing that much in the first two or three weeks :(  Hang in there and try to see the positive in your own situation, while ignoring other people's numbers. I know I would never have lost this much without the surgery, and I know I'm headed in the right direction and doing the right things, so the numbers will continue to improve. Just keep doing what you're supposed to be doing and it'll happen!

Thanks for posting this. I'm only 2.5 weeks out from surgery and from what people said before surgery I was expecting to see more loss right away.  Now I know what to expect and know that it's now abnormal. 

On Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 8:47 PM, SassySis said:

Thanks for posting this. I'm only 2.5 weeks out from surgery and from what people said before surgery I was expecting to see more loss right away.  Now I know what to expect and know that it's now abnormal. 

Just hang in there. It is slow for me but it is coming off. It really is a mental fight also. 

I'm fighting the mental fight as well. Four weeks out; gained about a pound last week and that's now slowly coming off. Gah.

Everyone's different.... and progress is progress, no matter how much it is bedeviled by fits and starts. Keep it up and you'll see the results!

For all of you being driven crazy by your plateaus, more grist for the mill... My pattern is now a week-10 days of no weight loss, then boom lose 5 lbs in 2-5 days, then another plateau.  A series of steps, if you will. All of this with the same intake and exercise levels. In the midst of the plateau I've also gained as much as 2 lbs day-to-day (which seems to defy the laws of nature, but there you have it). I've tried to tell my body to stop doing this but it is not listening. The only good news is that now I have enough perspective to laugh when this happens.

Edited by BurgundyBoy
Add phrase

32 minutes ago, BurgundyBoy said:

My pattern is now a week-10 days of no weight loss, then boom lose 5 lbs in 2-5 days, then another plateau.  

This is how mine is going as well! My graph is like a staircase. At least now I know to expect it so I don't freak out every time I plateau! And at least it's a downward staircase ;)

Don't really have a pattern yet. I'm white-knuckling it through the 3- (and 4-)week stall....

40 minutes ago, Carina said:

Don't really have a pattern yet. I'm white-knuckling it through the 3- (and 4-)week stall....

It'll work itself out. I was already on my SECOND stall by week 4 :/ 

I just hit -60 total (40 since surgery) today. Yay!

23 minutes ago, Jen581791 said:

It'll work itself out. I was already on my SECOND stall by week 4 :/ 

I just hit -60 total (40 since surgery) today. Yay!

You're a saint, haha!

This gives new meaning to the phrase, "step by step!"

I've been in a stall since February, but maybe I am just done losing weight. I've lost 130lbs, and am hovering around my goal, but my weight loss stopped at 7 months after surgery. However, reading on the forums that weight loss was like steps made sense. You go down, and level out for a bit, then go down and level out for a bit. While I am not losing weight, my body mass is still shrinking. I am down to a small/medium in shirts, and 8/10 in pants. 

Wow Zyia, this is really impressive. You must feel great. If you are shrinking you must be building muscle to replace fat. 

Maybe there have been threads/ conversations in the past about how to manage later stages after WSL - the fine tuning if you will after one gets through the initial stages. Was just thinking about this in the context of building up more of some specific muscle groups through weight training - have been almost solely focused on burning calories with my exercise, but need to broaden the spectrum of exercise might help to build an higher-metabolism (more-muscle, like you) body. 

23 hours ago, Zyia said:

I've been in a stall since February, but maybe I am just done losing weight. I've lost 130lbs, and am hovering around my goal, but my weight loss stopped at 7 months after surgery. However, reading on the forums that weight loss was like steps made sense. You go down, and level out for a bit, then go down and level out for a bit. While I am not losing weight, my body mass is still shrinking. I am down to a small/medium in shirts, and 8/10 in pants. 

If you feel that you are at your proper goal weight, then congratulations you made it!  Now you just need to monitor your weight and not allow yourself to go up by more than 5 pounds. If you do gain more than 5 pounds in weight then you immediately should cut back sharply on calories and increase your liquid consumption so that you get back to your goal weight. As you will see from many postings here at TTF, most of the people who have had weight regain problems got into trouble when they allowed themselves to get more than 10 pounds overweight and then things spiraled out of control.

On the other hand, if you think that you currently should lose more weight to reach a better goal weight, then use the power of your gastric bypass to get yourself there. Cut calories, increase liquids, increase lean protein, cut carbs, and up your activity if you are not living an active lifestyle. You almost certainly will lose weight.  

In any case, congratulations on a great job at losing weight. 

Thanks Res Ipsa, your comment is very helpful to me. I am now at 134 pounds but wanna get to 121. After such a big weight loss after 8 months (lost 94 lb after RNY) , I am being more indulgent and not so careful as I was in the beginning - although I can't have sugar and try not to have carbs, I am at a stall. Getting back to basics will help reach my goal. 

Whew... you guys put my mind at ease... I am a week out and have stalled since day 5 at under 5.5 lb loss. Actually gained .66 lbs overnight. I didn't measure before, so don't have a reference but my tops do fit better, though my tummy is still puffy from the surgery. I know I will continue weighing daily- that's how I am, but at least I am less freaked out.

I'd love to hear more about the first few weeks, and when the real losses kick in.

That's what I like about this forum. You meet like minded people, and see how normal you are!!

Well I suppose when I finally get the surgery I will take measurements and try to weigh once every 2 weeks,, Otherwise I will be going crazy like everyone else having these stalls !