Gin820

Starting soon

Hi all! I have my first appointment with the nutritionist next week. I was told on the phone my insurance covers the surgery, but they did not elaborate on what I need to do first. I have Anthem BCBS. I'm in Ohio. Does anyone know how long I will have to do a MD supervised diet and what else I will need to do? I'm sure they will tell me next week, but I am so nervous and excited that I can't sleep at night with wanting to know. Any advice?

Thanks! BTW, I have totally got sucked in reading all the successes on here and I love it!

I have Anthem BC HMO, and was surprised to have no 6-month wait requirement at all. I thought I had more time to think about it! Meeting all the requirements does take a while. My informational meeting was February 27. I've already fit in a visit to my surgeon's office, nutritionist seminar & visit, post-op Q&A panel, and psych eval. I meet with the surgeon Tuesday, they submit my paperwork for approval, and I get an official sugery date. When you visit the surgeon's office, they'll tell you if they'd like you to lose weight prior to surgery. They asked me to lose 10 to 15 pounds. So, I did that, too. I'm in California. I hope your experience is as smooth and as quick as you'd like it to be.

Edited by Gretta

It depends on your clinic. I had BCBS and didn't have the 6 month supervised diet requirement through my clinic, but other clinics in the area did have a 6 month diet. I started the process on 31 January and my first scheduled surgery appointment was 27 March, so I could have been getting my surgery less than 2 months later (of course, I did all of the requirements...the weight loss was losing 10% of my excess weight before the surgery). I had cold feet and anxiety, so I postponed the surgery date to 21 April that year, so I went from first consultation to surgery in just under 3 months. Again, it all depends on your program.

Good luck!

Ok, thanks. I guess there is no way to know until next week. Lol. I am going grocery shopping this weekend and have planned to only purchase high protein, low carb, low fat items. I have cut the soda and am giving up the sweets. I'm pretty sure that is what the NUT will tell me as well. I've found a good gym and priced personal trainers. I am doing this,even if I don't get approved although I'm sure I will as my bmi is near 50 and I have uncontrolled diabetes. Here I go! Lol

I have BCBS and depending on which plan you have, i had to do the 6 month supervised diet. along with the other requirements that the surgeons office required. I am kind of glad though because i was able to better prepare myself for the surgery. Good luck and even if you do have to do the 6 month diet it goes quick. at least for me it did.

I have the federal BCBS in Maryland. I had to do a 90 day pre opp diet which only amounted to one visit with the nutritionist one on one and three class like nutritionist visits that included a lot of people. I also needed a letter from my PCP detailing my weights over the last three years, a psych eval. I also needed an EGD but I had already had one recently, so all I had to do was have the gastroenterologist a the results to my surgeons office. Then they submitted it all to insurance and in a little less than two weeks I was approved. My first visit with the surgeon was on December 8, 2016, and my surgery is scheduled for April 21, 2017,'so that's how long my total process took. My doc didn't require any certain weight loss ahead of time to get approved. But he does require a two week liquid diet before surgery. That diet can include unflavored oatmeal, and unsweetened applesauce as well as yogurt, in addition to the protein shakes and liquids. Best of luck to you!

Two days before I see the NUT but am tracking my food and eating low carbs and added a protein shake. It's really hard but I know if I can do it now I will better succeed later. Gosh all I want is cake though! It's ok though. I'm going to do this.

The first 3 days of low carb are the hardest. It gets easier after that (unless you slip up and have to experience the first 3-days all over again). Good for you!