Holly Hobby

Surgery in 1 week and I am scared

So like an idiot I watched a surgery video of someone having gastric bypass surgery done and now I am scared. I am not scared of a specific thing happening. More of just wondering if I should do it. I am NOT getting gastric bypass because I don't like who I am or have a low self esteem. I am doing this to be healthy, stop the family cycle of obesity, and to hopefully cure my chronic gastro paresis. I know it needs to be done, but I keep thinking is it worth it. I had my gallbladder taken out by this doctor so I completely trust him, but things go wrong. I am not a big believer in taking medications so does anyone have natural suggestions of how to calm my anxiety? Thanks everyone.

Ha! So far I've resisted looking at those videos! :D 

I can't think of much besides the usual suspects like keeping yourself occupied, a little exercise, lavender oil etc. Maybe someone else will be of more help.

Mine's in three weeks; I'm not nervous yet, but I'm sure I'll be checking the suggestions when I'm closer to the date! Good luck.

Keep yourself focused on the reasons you are doing this.  Not everyone gets a do over.  I had so many health issues I was sure I was going to die on the table.  I nearly got up and left the OR, if I had, I wouldn't be where I am today.  The unknown is scared but you can do it.  Once in the hospital let them know your worries they may be able to relax you.  

Good luck!  Looking forward to seeing you on the losers bench:):D

Thank you so much for your advise Carina. Cheesehead, you seem to be doing really well. Do you have any advice? How often do you work out? I am wondering if 5 days a week should be enough or if I should go to the gym every day? 

Don't compare yourself to others:). 

I have really bad ankles and other than getting 10,000 steps a day at work, I don't work out.  I eat pretty much the same things every day.  I try not to put temptation in the house.  That said; I love to cook and bake.  If I bake it goes home with our adult kids or to work.  Above all, I get my protein in, always have.  Until I get 4 oz of meat in I don't eat anything else.  Some meals I don't get 4 oz in.  And I've always gotten my water in.  Early post op I set an alarm and drank a 2 oz shot glass every 15 minutes.  In 8 hours I had 64 oz in.  Water and protein are your friends; carbs are not...

It will take a while to figure out what works for you.  

Thanks so much for your advice Cheesehead. I have already invested in a timer to bring to work with me. 

Getting a gastric bypass was the best decision of my life (besides marrying my wonderful wife).  It has allowed me to become healthy, thin, more active, and just more "alive."  

I had some fears about the surgery, but I was careful to get the best possible surgeon at the best possible hospital, and then I could relax as I knew that the risk of me dying of a stroke or heart attack in the next few years if I stayed overweight was far far higher than the gastric bypass surgery risk. 

The first week or so after surgery can be rough for some people. Hang in there, as it gets much better. I was able to return to my office job just six days after my surgery, although I only worked mornings for a week or so as I found that by 2 pm most days I was quite tired. 

Exercise after a gastric bypass is important, although not for weight loss, as exercise has only a very minimal (or no) impact on weight loss for most people after weight loss surgery. Instead, leading an active lifestyle and exercising (I like long walks with family or friends, other people prefer to go to the gym or take Pilates classes) will improve your body tone and health. 

Note that as you lose weight exercising should become easier as you are no longer carrying all that extra weight. 

Holly,

What you're dealing with is pretty normal - surgery of any kind is a scary thing.  But something that might help is to turn it around and do some research on the possible consequences of being morbidly obese.  That was certainly a wake-up call for me.

Thank you Res Ipsa and Cinwa. I will be doing a lot of researching of consequences of morbid obesity. I cant believe surgery is in 7 days. I am not used to the feeling of being scared. I almost feel guilty for feeling this way knowing that this is my choice to get surgery. There are just so many emotions running through me that I am not sure what to do with them. I try to talk to my friends about my fears, but they feel that surgery is the easy way out. I hope one day that the stigma surrounding weight loss surgery will go away and others will realize that I am a person just like them. 

Holly, relax, you've got this.

Weight loss surgery is the right choice and can make your life so much better and longer. Remember that the surgery is only a tool, a very powerful tool but still a tool.  You will need to develop a new relationship with food to succeed in the long term, but this is not hard to do during the "honeymoon" period in the months after your surgery when you will have not much appetite or desire to eat. We are here to support you through this process. 

Thank you so much everyone. 4 DAYS UNTIL SURGERY!!! I have been keeping myself busy with going to the gym, church, and cleaning. At this point I am trying to give my worries to God. 

Hey everyone. Just wanted to let you know that the surgery went well and I am now 6 days post op. I was a nervous wreck before surgery, but I'm great now. I'm getting about 69g to 96g of protein in and about 50oz of water daily. I just spoke with my doctors office and they told me I am actually getting in to much protein. Who would've thought. Thank you everyone for being there for a complete stranger. I couldn't have done it without your support and love. 

Congratulations! Way to go for that protein and water! You're clearly on the road to success! Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear it all worked out in the end Holly!

Welcome to the losers bench Holly!