So after RNY we have to take vitamins but what is your schedule like when you take them? I'm heard don't take iron with calcium etc. To be honest I haven't been taking my vitamins for a few months but thankfully levels are still good. So I'm restarting with vitamins and I am so lost on when to take them and how many. I don't go back to the doctor until next month so I figured you all could help.

Thanks in advance!

My surgeon told me  to wait two  hours  to take your iron after  taking your other vitamins.

7 minutes ago, tracy6035 said:

My surgeon told me  to wait two  hours  to take your iron after  taking your other vitamins.

A lot of multivitamins have iron in them Tracy.

The guide given to me was that it was fine to take iron with multivitamins provided they were iron free and to make sure there was a least 2 hours between iron (or multivitamins with iron) and calcium.

savannah,

This is my basic schedule (I have macular degeneration so that accounts for most of the additional supplements).

AM:  Iron free multivitamin, calcium citrate, Mega EFA® Omega-3 EPA & DHA Fish Oil, lutein and zeaxanthin, CoQ10.

Lunch:  Calcium Citrate.

PM:  Iron free multivitamin, calcium citrate, resveratrol, biotin, KriaXanthin. 

Bed (1/2 hour before):  Carbonyl iron, vitamin C.

I have to take an iron supplement because my iron is low.

5 minutes ago, tracy6035 said:

I have to take an iron supplement because my iron is low.

I posted this a while ago - I hope it might be of help:

Iron supplements can be a struggle and a lot cause abdominal distress.  My choice is bog standard Sundown Carbonyl Iron from Amazon or Walgreens.  NOTE:  You will need to take it with vitamin C to aid absorption. 

If you are iron deficient, I can recommend Polysaccharide Iron.  Again, Amazon and Walmart have good deals.  Feosol has a good carbonyl iron but it's pretty costly (around $12.00 from Walmart/Walgreens).

The upside with both carbonyl and polysaccharide irons is that they are 100% elemental so what you take is what you get.  That is not the case with other forms of iron:

Carbonyl and Polysaccharide has 100% elemental iron.
Ferrous fumarate has approximately 33% elemental iron.
Ferrous sulfate has 20% elemental iron.
Ferrous gluconate has 12% elemental iron.

Other than carbonyl and polysaccharide iron (which are 100% bioavailable), the following is the amount of elemental iron that a 325 mg dose contains:

Ferrous fumarate. 108 mg of elemental iron
Ferrous sulfate. 65 mg of elemental iron
Ferrous gluconate. 35 mg of elemental iron

ETA:  The upside of taking an iron free multivitamin is that you can take your calcium citrate at one and the same time.