Abibliophobe

Not feeling full. Is there a reason?

I plan on talking to my doctors about this tomorrow but I'm not feeling full. I am scared I am stretching out my pouch by eating too much. At most I consume 1,000 calories a day. Usually less. 

I don't have too many measuring cups so I eyeball things and end up eating half or so of what I prepare. 

I eat about six times a day which I've heard is what I am supposed to do. 

I have lost 14 pounds since the 10th. 

I think I'm at a plateau because I haven't lost weight since Saturday or Sunday. 

Just wondering how normal this is. Will I start to feel full eventually? Is it head hunger? I don't feel like it is. I just don't get full. 

When you say that you're not feeling full, are you actually feeling anything? Like, are you hungry or do you just not get a full signal? Because, in my experience, feeling full after bypass is a different feeling than feeling full pre-op. I remember a you tube blogger talking about how one if the things she misses most post-op is (what she described) as that deeply satisfying feeling of being full down low in her belly. That's gone after bypass. Now (for me, at least) fullness is felt right right under my sternum and, if my pouch is overfull, it backs up into my throat ( almost like the valve between my esposphogas & stomach can't close). So, that's why I ask what you mean by not feeling full. Also, your pouch is still healing so many people don't feel much of anything at this stage in regards to hunger or fullness unless they've gone too far. 

Other thoughts, I had: What stage are you at in your post-op diet? And is eating 6 times a day something your doctor or nutritionist recommended? Once I was past the liquid/purée stage, my doctor wanted me to eat 3, maybe 4 times a day at most. And when I was at the point post-op where you are now, my first priority was still hitting my daily water intake goal. Are you drinking at least 64 oz of water/liquids a day? 

11 hours ago, Abibliophobe said:

I plan on talking to my doctors about this tomorrow but I'm not feeling full. I am scared I am stretching out my pouch by eating too much. At most I consume 1,000 calories a day. Usually less. 

I don't have too many measuring cups so I eyeball things and end up eating half or so of what I prepare. 

I eat about six times a day which I've heard is what I am supposed to do. 

I have lost 14 pounds since the 10th. 

I think I'm at a plateau because I haven't lost weight since Saturday or Sunday. 

Just wondering how normal this is. Will I start to feel full eventually? Is it head hunger? I don't feel like it is. I just don't get full. 

I feel the same way! I'm exactly 1 week post-op and I feel like I'm always hungry.  I usually do about 600 calories a day.  I've lost 15 pounds since starting with the pre-op diet on 2/12.    I would swear that what I'm feeling isn't head hunger but now I'm starting to wonder if it is.

1000 calories a day is pretty high for being less than a month post op. I was lucky to get 500 in, but I also followed my nutrition book to the letter. If you are eating and your stopping point is to feel full, that's the wrong approach. You should have received a nutrition book/folder/packet from your clinic that outlines the different eating stages after your bypass. I would follow that and don't do anything else. You may not feel full, especially if your diet consists of mostly liquids and slider foods, which go right through your system. 

You're also right around the time some people get their first stall. Not everyone does, but it is common around 3-5 weeks post op. I had one at 5 weeks post op that lasted almost two weeks, then after it stopped, my weight dropped pretty quickly. This is a great time to figure out if you are having head hunger issues. Try drinking water. If the feeling goes away, it's not hunger. I usually ate 4-5 times a day, but each meal was maybe half a container of Danon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt, or a cheese stick and half a can of tuna (drained). You may still be healing, so the sensation doesn't really get you. I didn't start feeling actually full until I was eating dense proteins like chicken and soft ground beef. I still get full with that with about 3 oz of meat and I'm approaching 3 years out. 

Good idea to talk to your doctor, but please follow your nutrition guidelines closely. That will give you success.

Get a cheap set of measuring cups and a scale.  They aren't expensive.

you don't want to be over eating this soon.  You just had surgery.  It takes time for your belly to heal and get the feeling back..  you need roughly 4 water bottles of liquid everyday.  

Follow your food plan and don't move stages until told to..

It's not 1000 a day. I worded that wrong. There are times when I reach 1000 calories but it's usually less than that.

Anyway, I talked to my dietitian today. She said I am eating too many meals a day. They want me to only eat 3 meals a day. They said that eating five or six times a day is counterproductive which is what I had been doing.

They also said that I am not going to get full. They said that if I were to get full that would mean I was eating way too much at one sitting. That's why I have invested in measuring cups and will use them from now on.