mikef

Do you have regrets?

Do you have regrets?   

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have regrets or would you do it different?

• No regrets at all. Best decision I ever made.
    • Yes. I wish I never did the surgery.
    • I wish I would of done the RNY full bypass instead.

4 hours ago, newme88 said:

I am only 3 weeks post op.  I think I was mentally prepared just for the surgery part. Being my first surgery, I was nervous. I kept thinking to myself 'oh ill be fine with just liquids after because I wont want that much"  I completely fooled myself. Im trying to get in a spot mentally where I dont want to cry when I see a pizza or tacos. 

It gets WAY better. If you didn't break your carb addiction pre-op, that is probably part of what you are struggling with now. And, take time over the next few months to develop new hobbies, habits and activities that don't involve food. I didn't realize how much time I really spent thinking about food and planning around food until I was post-op. 

Hang in there. I think it was around week 3 post-op for me that I wanted to punch anyone and everyone that even looked at me. Thankfully, that only lasted about a week. ;)

On 5/21/2017 at 10:24 PM, OlgaC said:

Today is PostOp day 5 and today all the regrets punched me at once, I'm hating the liquid diet, I hate that at family dinner everyone is eating and I just have a cup of broth (by now I hate it), I hate feeling miserable because I can't sleep (I sleep in freefall position), I know in the long run this regrets will mean nothing, but for now they're everything.

I know for the first 2-3 months, at least, I had regrets on and off and wondered if I had made the right decision. Now, just over a year out, all regrets are 100% gone and I am so happy with my decision. The healing post-sx is tough, painful, and draining, but it passes and the lasting benefits have been amazing. 

I’ve discussed this lots with my friend and she said the following;

youre going through  a break up with food. Food was your fiend, the thing you turned to when things were hard. And now you don’t have that, you’re in this alone and you can’t use food as a way to comfort.

youre grieving that loss.

And I know its ok to feel that loss, and yes I too want to eat ‘normally’ sometimes. But let’s be honest, my normal was never normal. And would never be normal.so I’ve really tried to find food that’s are super tasty and almost feel naughty to compensate because a few spoons of that helps me realise, nothing is off my menu anymore really.i can’t eat a large pizza to myself anymore, but I can have a small amount of cheese and little bit of salami! Wayhoo!  Melt that cheese, sprinkle some dried herbs, and it’s almost pizza...

Edited by Elisa

On 2/14/2018 at 12:33 PM, newme88 said:

I am only 3 weeks post op.  I think I was mentally prepared just for the surgery part. Being my first surgery, I was nervous. I kept thinking to myself 'oh ill be fine with just liquids after because I wont want that much"  I completely fooled myself. Im trying to get in a spot mentally where I dont want to cry when I see a pizza or tacos. 

Ah, so you are normal. I felt that way about BBQ ribs. You likely were - and likely are still - mentally addicted to eating amounts and foods that - physiologically - you could (and should) do without. Pizza and tacos provided you with emotional comfort.  There is also a brain circuit where you get a dopamine rush when you eat carbs, we all have our trigger foods or comfort foods. 

The danger is if you don't recognize this and for emotional reasons eat the pizza.  90% of success at WLS is in your head, not your belly. It's a good sign that you are posting about this.  Nice points by @Elisa and @Gradstudentmom. @Stephtay is providing the perspective of a lot more time. FWIW I do eat BBQ ribs... but only 1 or 2 now, not a full rack, and my craving is then gone.  Like the others I take a corn tortilla, melt cheese on it and sprinkle some kind of meat, and roast it in the oven.... and that does the 'pizza or taco' trick for me, without the excessive calories of eating too much. 

This will get better!