EMHMaine

Newbie in a snowstorm

Hello from Maine, where we are currently getting 10-14" of snow! I am new to this forum and wanted to post an introduction. I am at the beginning of this WL journey. I researched bariatric surgery in great detail about a year ago and decided not to proceed due to fears and worry about how difficult it would be. I think I have tried every diet known to man over the past 20 years and dieting seems to be my hobby, yet I never can finish what I set out to do. Lose 20 pounds, gain 30 back, yo yo, on and on .... and now I find myself 100-120 pounds overweight. I am almost 48 years old and feel I want to do so much more in my life and be active. I have a loving husband and three kids who support me, but I know they are discouraged when I postpone plans to go on a tropical vacation because I would never be caught dead in a bathing suit, much less shorts. Life is passing me by and I want to start living.

I called my insurance today to find out about what they require for coverage. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they have only four requirements: BMI, complete any info sessions that the surgeon requires, that I have a psychotherapy appt and that I have the surgery in one of the hospitals they deem qualified. So I do not have to see a nutritionist (which I actually have been doing on my own the past six months anyway, unrelated to the potential of surgery). Next week I plan to attend the info night at the hospital that is held twice a month. So I feel like I am moving in the right direction. 

I am nervous, but also excited about what the future can bring!

I got quite a bit out of the 4 dietitians in my program, especially in the first few months. Even at my 3.5 year checkup the counsel was quite helpful. Many of us here wish we went through WLS earlier. I'm very happy to be were I am.

I'm 48 and was 100-115 lbs iverwhrght when I had my sleeve 1 2/2 months ago. We're like twins ;) welcome to the group!

Welcome.  Sounds like it could be soon!  Life is good on the losers bench!

45 minutes ago, ValerieKGorman said:

I'm 48 and was 100-115 lbs iverwhrght when I had my sleeve 1 2/2 months ago. We're like twins ;) welcome to the group!

Valerie,
I would love to follow your progress and stay in touch! 
Elizabeth

Welcome!  Be an informed consumer, and pick the doctor and the weight loss surgery type that is best for you.

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass. Life as a thin, healthy and active person is really great 

Welcome to Thinner Times Elizabeth!

I attended the information meeting last evening at the hospital and I was very impressed with the surgeon and his presentation. They called this morning, after verifying my insurance info, and I have my 2-hour office consultation a week from today! Moving in the right direction. :)