la.craig

Post Op 14 months and hair is still thinning

I'm getting worried.  Doc says labs are perfect, I'm eating lots of fruits and vegetables.  I've (reluctantly) added butter back into my lifestyle following doctors orders for more fat.  She also recommended vitamins but I don't remember what they were.  My question is: Has anybody still had thinning hair 1-2 years post op VSG?  When did it grow back or did it ever grow back?

My hair stopped thinning about six months after surgery, and began to grow slowly back about a year after surgery. The vitamin that many of us took to minimize hair loss is biotin. I am not sure if it helped, but it certainly didn't hurt. Otherwise, be sure to have enough protein in your diet. 

I thought I was still losing mine also but while seeing a dermatologist on an unrelated matter he told me that I have psorios of the scalp.  Use Tarsum medicated shampoo.  Although over the counter it is difficult to find.  Ordered it through my pharmacy and it seems to have stopped the psoriosis and the hair loss has also appeared to stop.  Not cheap but worth a shot.  Oh, I was using dandruff shampoos with no result.

Good luck

Biotin...works great! I've been on it for years and my hair is thicker now because of it. Most deffiently try it and stick to it for at least 6 months. Herbs take a little longer to kick but with continuous biotin along with your other vitamins it will help.

Are you taking the other recommended vitamins too?

Edited by tinacristina

I didn't lose much in the way of any hair after my WLS although the texture (and colour) changed pretty quickly and it went curly too.

I still take biotin.  I don't know if it actually helps/prevents hair loss but it's a good vitamin to take anyway.

"Biotin, or vitamin H is part of the complex B vitamins. Along with helping the body metabolize fats and carbohydrates, biotin has been linked to improved hair health and maintaining proper function of the nervous system.".

How much biotin do you recommend taking on  daily basis? My multi-vitamin contains 600 mcg of biotin, which according to its label is 200% of the RDA. Should that be sufficient to encourage hair regrowth?

23 minutes ago, Jerry M said:

How much biotin do you recommend taking on  daily basis? My multi-vitamin contains 600 mcg of biotin, which according to its label is 200% of the RDA. Should that be sufficient to encourage hair regrowth?

According to Linus Pauling,  (it's worth a read).

Toxicity

Biotin is not known to be toxic. In people without disorders of biotin metabolism, doses of up to 5 mg/day for two years were not associated with adverse effects (52). Oral biotin supplementation has been well tolerated in doses up to 200 mg/day (nearly 7,000 times the AI) in people with hereditary disorders of biotin metabolism (1). Daily supplementation with a highly concentrated formulation of biotin (100-600 mg) for several months was also found to be well tolerated in individuals with progressive multiple sclerosis (27, 28). However, there is one case report of life-threatening eosinophilic pleuropericardial effusion in an elderly woman who took a combination of 10 mg/day of biotin and 300 mg/day of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) for two months (53). Because reports of adverse events were lacking when the Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI) for biotin were established in 1998, the Institute of Medicine did not establish a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for biotin (1).

Nutrient interactions

Large doses of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) have the potential to compete with biotin for intestinal and cellular uptake by the human sodium-dependent multivitamin transporter (hSMVT) (54, 55). Biotin also shares the hSMVT with α-lipoic acid (56). Pharmacologic (very high) doses of α-lipoic acid have been found to decrease the activity of biotin-dependent carboxylases in rats, but such an effect has not been demonstrated in humans (57).

Craig,

I am just shy of a year out myself (March 7th) and I did see a small amount of hair thinning in the first 6 months, which was my greatest fear! Going into this surgery I knew this was an issue and so I made sure that I ate as much protein as possible each day. I am sure that genetics play a part in this as with everything else, and while biotin would probably not hurt, protein I believe is the answer.

Keep up the great work!!

My hair started to thin about 3 months ago. I am one year on from my op.

I have been taking zinc and selenium but for less than a month.

I have also taken on board what you have said about biotin and will get some.

Mine thinned out after my surgery 31 years ago and apart from times when I was pregnant, has been thin ever since. Some of us are just unlucky and have to learn to live with it.

I'm 3 yrs post sleeve and I'm still losing hair. I take chewable bariatric vitamins and drink at least one protein shake a day. I take biotin. So far no success. I envy those who have barely lost hair. I just don't understand why this is still going on. Very difficult to go thru this trial. 

I am about 6 mths out.  Down 64 #'s  I have had MASSIVE hair loss. It's incredible I'm not bald. If it continues like this I will be!!  I have been on Biotin since before the surgery and started 220mg of Zinc per the bariatric surgeon about 3 weeks ago.

In the last couple of weeks I think it's slowed down, or it's wishful thinking. My hair dresser was surprised how different it is this didn't start till about 4 mths after surgery. I am lucky I had VERY, VERY thick hair to begin with. I am not exaggerating when I say it's been massive loss. I am trying harder to be sure I am getting 60-75 grams of protein daily. Had gotten pretty slack about the protein intact. 

Both my siblings have had this surgery and neither of them lost as much hair as me. They both lost some, my brother says his never filled back in but my sister didn't feel she lost much and it's normal now. they are 3 yr and 2 yrs out, respectively.

Going to a new hairdresser tomorrow and will be embarrassed by the amount of hair she will see come out.  I am worried about this and look at every woman with extremely thin hair and feel like crying.