ktallon

realistic or not?

So just wanting some general advice here. My surgery is next Monday (yay) in the job that I have I am able to work from home. So the dilemma I am having is that my boss is expecting me to log on and work by Wednesday. I personally don't think this is going to realistically happen. I am already scheduled to be out for 3 weeks (the hope being that I can do half days starting around week 2). What has your experience been like after surgery. I know everyone is different but I just feel like two days after surgery is too soon to be trying to work.

I limited my work for a couple of weeks because of being on pain meds and the lifting restriction I had. That said, I work for myself and could return phone calls and keep up with my paperwork. It's doubtful you'll be able to get anything useful done for the better part of a week.

I probably had one of the easiest recoveries ever and I certainly could have worked from home within a couple days of surgery.  I was never on any pain meds and never experienced any nausea.  Here's how my first week postop went.....

Friday afternoon.....surgery 

Saturday and Sunday.....Discharged and went sightseeing and shopping

Monday....Travelled alone on a plane

Tuesday.....Drove myself home 5 hours and plowed the driveway with my ATV that afternoon.

Wednesday (Christmas Day)......rested.

Thursday..... Grocery shopping, haircut and started making client calls and setting up appointments.

Friday.....Back to work full time at an active, on my feet all day job.  My only limitation was a 20 pound lifting restriction for the first 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, postop varies so much from person to person that you will not know what you will be capabable of doing until the time comes.  I would plan to take the 2-3 weeks off, but if you feel as good as I did, you could surprise your boss by starting back early (better than the other way around).

I also work from home.   Surgeon recommend I take 2 weeks off, so I did.   I could have very easily went back after just 1 week.   But since I already had it off, I just kept it.   To expect to be back to work in two days albeit from home or not is rather unrealistic and absurd, in my opinion.   I may have felt pretty darn great at day 4.....but not before that.

Edit:  I don't want that to come off as if I was pain free; cause I wasn't.  There was a certain degree of pain or at the very least most certainly discomfort for many many weeks, just not something I found intolerable or prevent me from doing semi-normal stuff.

Edited by Jolls

I took 4 days off work and was at Lollapalooza with 100,000 people 6 days after surgery.

I went in to work to do paperwork on day 6.  Day 9 I went back full time on my feet all day.  Hardest part was reaching above my head.  I was bored at home!  Everyone is different! Good luck!

Different for all but I spent two nights in the hospital.   Doubt if I could have done much "work" at two days but four or five days probably.

You won't be able to drive as long as you are on pain killers which again depends upon you.  I only used mine for the ride home.

Good luck.