Gastric Bypass or Sleeve with Hemophilia

Nikki19rl

Hi All.

My name Is Nicole and I am trying to find information of those who have had bypass surgery and have a blood disorder.  I cant seem to find anything online that really seems to help much. So I decided to try some forums. I am a little concerned and not sure if I want to go through with surgery or not. I was wondering if anyone has had surgery for Weight loss and has had hemophilia? I have Von Willebrands Disease Type 1 where my clotting factor is there, but it doesn't work. I just want to know how, if you or you know someone who has a form of hemophilia who had surgery how it went, and if there was complications? any information would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

I don't believe we've ever had a member with Von Willebrand disease Nikki.  Has your hematologist and/or surgeon had experience of patients with the disease having bariatric surgery?

I'm not sure. I meet him for the first time Thursday morning.. I'm a little nervous because the one physician in his group I was referred to said he wouldn't  recommend it,it was to risky.. I hadnt heard anything for awhile so I just shrugged it off.. before Christmas the physician who is the director of bariatric surgery at the hospital in the same group, I guess they were arguing about it, said it wasn't a issue and he'd do it.. he's also a professor for bariatric surgery at USC and a researcher.. so maybe he knows what he's doing  or I'm a guinea pig..Said he's been doing it for 15 years..and never lost a patient also another teaching college MUSC said it was no big deal that if I started to bleed they'ed know why.... I don't know..     I finally got insurance back in October.. prior to then I never had it, and because Of that I hadn't seen a hematologist since 2000.. I'm never sick so I don't even have a PCP... I was trying to research it but I couldn't really find anything. So I figured I'd try the forums and see if anyone else had the surgery with a blood disorder... just curious.. I've never had surgery so it's kind of scary for me..

Edited by Nikki19rl

I recommend keeping a running list of your questions as you think of them put them on your phone and go in to your appointment with your questions ready.  I did this with all my questions pre op, then would ask them first thing and jotted down what I needed to remember.  I had to do monthly appointments for 6 months so I thought of lots to ask...

I have a blood disorder called ITP. Basically my spleen was killing my platelets and they don't know why. A splenectomy resolved it and now my platelets and white blood cell count are naturally very high. I saw my hematologist as a precaution before attempting to qualify for surgery. All is well. My surgeon is aware. Surgery on the 13th. I'm not sure if this helps you or not. Talk to your hematologist. I think they could help guide you.

TheGreypilgrim- Anything helps at this point :)... I met the Dr.Scott on the 5th. waiting to see a hematologist to asses my condition. basically told me is I do the surgery the only one he would consider doing on me would be the sleeve. said its safer, and less bleeding.. and I'm fine with that, that's the one I was leaning towards anyways..Do you have to undergo any form of treatment before the surgery or is your hematologist just going to monitor you prior to, during and after? You are only a few days away!!! Im sure your nervous..Keep us posted, and let us know how everything went!.. :) I hope all is well..

Edited by Nikki19rl

So glad to hear it! No, my hematologist is confident all will be well even with my elevated platelets and white blood cells. I was surprised that my surgeon was fine with it. It's comforting. Friday is almost here! I've been recovering from the flu for 10 days now and I think I'll just make it!

You clearly have a higher risk than most but the good news is your doctors know what your issues are and therefore can prep and treat you appropriately should you all make the decision that is is safe to move forward with the procedure. I'd second the suggestion to write down all your questions and concerns to bring to the doctor.

• 4 years later...

I have Glazmann Thrombastina which is a rare bleeding disorder where I have platelets but do not work. I have been thinking about weight surgery as well since I have been battling weight loss. There's definitely not much information and my hematologist is not too familiar with my disorder.