maldert1

Reflux?

had rny almost 4 years ago. In the past few months I've woken up during the night feeling like  I'm choking on reflux or maybe my saliva. I'm not sure, but it's scary. Any thoughts or suggestions? Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reflux is acidic and burns your throat. It also tastes awful. See your doctor if you are worried. Reflux is easily diagnosed by barium swallow. It may be that you need an endoscopy to determine what is really going on.

Michele - put a call into your surgeon's office.  Reflux should never be ignored.

i agree, especially since it's a new problem. good luck, keep us posted. 

I had some acid reflux for awhile; however, I discovered that I was eating too late in the day, and sometimes eating things I shouldn't--chocolate is a big culprit. Once I stopped eating after maybe 7 pm and stopped eating chocolate, the reflux disappeared. I ate a couple brownies yesterday and sure enough I felt the reflux this morning while I was laying in bed. I made sure to get up so the acid would stay down, as it's really horrible when it comes up. 

Thank you all!

Thank you!! This support group has been a lifesaver for me :)

Is there any follow up response on this? I’m having major issues waking up in the middle of the night with acid/bile coming up. I called my surgeons office and requested an appointment. What I got instead was a “we will have a nurse call you”. I couldn’t even make an appointment. 

Since Day 1, I’ve had hunger; I’ve been able to eat more than most; and I would love for it to go back to a time when I didn’t have reflux. 

3 hours ago, thornbury150 said:

Is there any follow up response on this? I’m having major issues waking up in the middle of the night with acid/bile coming up. I called my surgeons office and requested an appointment. What I got instead was a “we will have a nurse call you”. I couldn’t even make an appointment. 

Since Day 1, I’ve had hunger; I’ve been able to eat more than most; and I would love for it to go back to a time when I didn’t have reflux. 

Call them again. Reflux after bypass is NOT normal and usually indicative of a restriction forming whether that be by stricture, bloating putting upward pressure on gases, or other reasons lower down the digestive tract.  My original stoma scarred over 30 years after my surgery, which just goes to show we're never fully out of the woods with regard to complications. The nurse is probably triaging appointments so those that really need an appointment are given priority.  While ongoing reflux isn't an emergency, I suspect you'll find you will be booked an appointment in a timely fashion once she knows the history.

18 hours ago, thornbury150 said:

Reflux is only for VSG I thought, but what you describe is exactly what happened to me after my VSG and it is quite scary.  I am hoping the nurse called and gave you an appointment.  Hope you get to feeling better soon and if it is reflux the meds they give work well. I take Dexilant and don't have the night time issue of choking on acid ect

Shortly after I first posted this question, it stopped. So, I never saw the doctor about it. However, I agree that you should see your doc if you're still having the problem.... especially since it might be something serious like a stricture or blockage. 

I thought reflux only applied to VSG, also.  I don't have stomach acid anymore, since I had a RNY gastric bypass. That's why I was so confused. I think the stricture or blockage complication is a likely explanation. Maybe mine was temporary and worked itself out... I have no idea. I agree that you should see the doc in case it's something life-threatening.

I should probably talk to my doc about it also, even though it stopped. Just in case.