Cubs Rule

Hi there, I'm new

Hi there everyone.  I'm a 42yo male from Chicagoland.  Great information in these forums, especially for the newbs.  

I just got my surgery date today so I am stoked.  I look forward to learning from you all. 

P.S. If you had a bad experience, please save your comments.  I am going to rock this, sorry if you can't or didn't or won't.  (Had to add this, saw a few posts that really shocked me, trolls in a forum like this is unacceptable). 

Although I totally disagree that "the Cubs rule" (one World Series win in more than 100 years does not define "ruling"), I can tell you that I have never regretted having my weight loss surgery.  Life as a thin, healthy and active person is really great.  

I'm almost 4 years out.  I haven't had a single problem.  Only wish I had done it sooner!  Good luck to you and hope your sailing is as smooth as mine has been!

23 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

Although I totally disagree that "the Cubs rule" (one World Series win in more than 100 years does not define "ruling"), I can tell you that I have never regretted having my weight loss surgery.  Life as a thin, healthy and active person is really great.  

Are the Cubs not the World Champs this very moment?  So, like em or not, they rule - even though I was speaking only for myself.  Glad you've had success.  

23 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I'm almost 4 years out.  I haven't had a single problem.  Only wish I had done it sooner!  Good luck to you and hope your sailing is as smooth as mine has been!

That's great!  Congrats and I sure pray for smooth sailing but my mind is open. Cheers.  

Unlike you I think the negative posts do have a place on forums like this. WLS is serious stuff. Some people just aren't ready for it, or aren't well enough informed of the real implications. There are definitely some people who have surgery, that with the benefit of hindsight, probably shouldn't. Unfortunately, according to a number of studies I've read, even the surgeon's can't accurately pick who those patients will be. There are known complications that can come into play, but we all handle those differently, often due to how we've prepared ourselves for the surgery, along with how resilient we are. I had my surgery at the wrong time for me, but I got the help I needed and moved on with my life in a very positive way. 

No-one other than your surgical support team should be telling you not to have surgery though. Surgery is individual choice. As long as you go through the process minus the rose coloured glasses, then most post-op obstacles can be navigated relatively easily by getting the right kind of support as needed. This forum is a great place to start finding that support. I know I will certainly be heading into my revision with a great deal more knowledge and preparation than I had first time around. Mind you 30 years ago there was no preparation, no internet to help with knowledge gathering, and no surgical follow-ups. Despite that even I was physically complication free for about 25 years.

Best of luck on your journey. Hopefully you'll be one of the majority that flies through complication free.

59 minutes ago, Aussie H said:

Unlike you I think the negative posts do have a place on forums like this. WLS is serious stuff. Some people just aren't ready for it, or aren't well enough informed of the real implications. There are definitely some people who have surgery, that with the benefit of hindsight, probably shouldn't. Unfortunately, according to a number of studies I've read, even the surgeon's can't accurately pick who those patients will be. There are known complications that can come into play, but we all handle those differently, often due to how we've prepared ourselves for the surgery, along with how resilient we are. I had my surgery at the wrong time for me, but I got the help I needed and moved on with my life in a very positive way. 

No-one other than your surgical support team should be telling you not to have surgery though. Surgery is individual choice. As long as you go through the process minus the rose coloured glasses, then most post-op obstacles can be navigated relatively easily by getting the right kind of support as needed. This forum is a great place to start finding that support. I know I will certainly be heading into my revision with a great deal more knowledge and preparation than I had first time around. Mind you 30 years ago there was no preparation, no internet to help with knowledge gathering, and no surgical follow-ups. Despite that even I was physically complication free for about 25 years.

Best of luck on your journey. Hopefully you'll be one of the majority that flies through complication free.

By all means if people have certain experiences, share them.  I'm referring to posts I have seen from people who are literally telling people they will starve and their hair will fall out, etc.  While I am new to this forum I am not new to the internet, a troll is a troll is a troll.  There is a right way and a wrong way to make a statement. Misery can find company elsewhere. 

I envy your courage for going through this without all of the resources we have now, it is scary enough as it is.  Thanks for replying and best of luck with the revision. 

3 minutes ago, Cubs Rule said:

By all means if people have certain experiences, share them.  I'm referring to posts I have seen from people who are literally telling people they will starve and their hair will fall out, etc.  While I am new to this forum I am not new to the internet, a troll is a troll is a troll.  There is a right way and a wrong way to make a statement. Misery can find company elsewhere. 

I envy your courage for going through this without all of the resources we have now, it is scary enough as it is.  Thanks for replying and best of luck with the revision. 

I agree and I've also seen the more recent post that you're probably referring to. I don't think of it as a troll post though. I suspect that user went into her surgery with the wrong expectations and a lack of knowledge. I actually felt sorry for her when I read that post, but the truth is not everyone who has surgery understands how either the surgery, or the human body for that matter, actually works. Thinking the surgery is a magic bullet to fix ones image, get them love, or perhaps mend a broken marriage etc is the motivation for some people even if they don't openly admit it. The reality is far from that though, and most people who've already had WLS  know that even if some prospective patients can't be convinced. That is why forums like this need to exist.

No matter what type of forum you are reading there will always be those users who you'd like to grab through the screen and shake some sense into them. That doesn't mean though that they shouldn't be allowed to express their own thoughts. Just maybe those kinds of posts will make someone think a bit more about their own motivations for surgery and whether or not WLS really is the best option for them. Afterall many people come here who don't have surgery initially, and maybe posts like that make them realise that surgery might not be their best next step.

Welcome! Congrats on getting your surgery date- that's super exciting. There's tons of information on here, but if you have any questions, please ask. I think I understand what you're asking for in your OP. It sounds like you understand that post-op life won't always be sunshine and roses, but for the vast majority of people on here (including you) the benefits outweigh the risks and you want to focus on the positive. That's awesome. I've found this to be a wonderfully supportive place and I hope you have the same experience.

Welcome to Thinner Times Cubs Rule!

We have had a few members who've had a rough ride following their WLS.  Thankfully, it's pretty rare but it's right that they be able to share their experiences - good or bad.  

Welcome to TT, and congrats on your surgery date! I have found that TT is almost, *almost* troll free and generally speaking a very positive place to come. Hope you stick around throughout your ride, and best of luck for smooth sailing! 

Welcome!!!  Best of luck with your surgery.  I too am new so am kind of going through everything, reading many posts on the subjects I am particularly interested in.  I am glad I found this sight though.  I feel I have some where to go to discuss what I feel or the hard things I am going through.