Pre Op Mental Health

I am going into this strong willed. I have been diagnosed bipolar. I have mood swings that have been greatly reduced and almost vanished with therapy; however, I am having a set back now. 

I get depressed. Thanksgiving day I didn't over eat or have any trouble with that - but I cried. I have a beautiful family, hosted a beautiful gathering, had my kids thanksgiving arts and crafts done up all over - some would say I did great, but I had a huge dark cloud over me that day. Everytime I went to the restroom, or walked outside, -any time I had alone - I just cried. 

TO GET TO THE POINT - Has anyone else suffered/is suffering with this going into surgery?

Thank you for reaching out to us. I don't have personal experience or anybody close to me who has bipolar disorder, but there are people here who do. Northchild comes to mind. He has to stay on top of his bipolar disorder and making sure his medications are optimized. For some reason I can't paste links to other forum pages anymore, but you can find him using the search feature on the site.

Thank you Wendy. I have managed it without medication in the last year with therapy and GREAT insurance. With the changing year, I'm worried if therapy goes down, and medications may be needed - it's a crazy time to start trying some. Fingers crossed I'll be fine. I'm excited that my surgery date is coming up. I'll look him up now.

If you do end up taking any medication while you are losing weight, keep in mind that your dosages almost certainly will need to change as you get smaller and smaller. 

I have reached out to him, and we are now in touch. Thank you. Should I tell my surgeon of this diagnosis? I've managed it without medication for a little over a year, and I'm worried if I mention it, she may push my date back.

I've failed to find a good psychiatrist. 

I can't advise you on what to say. I can tell you that your surgeon should have your best interest at heart, but so should you. You've had this hiccup during a stressful time that will continue to be stressful as you lose rapidly and the estrogen stored in your fat cells is rapidly dumped into your system. Regardless of what someone else would do, you know you and you must look out for your own best interest.

I may overstep. Even so, I want to throw this out there for consideration. There's nothing noble about managing a mental disorder with therapy alone. Successfully managing a neurochemical imbalance without medication to normalize it is like managing obesity through diet and exercise alone. Sure, it can be done with some level of success, possibly for prolonged periods, for a small (very small) minority, possibly a lifetime. But for the vast majority, it's either something that can't be effectively managed without further treatment, and even if it can be for a while, eventually the dam breaks and you get swept back to where you started, or worse.

Please redouble your efforts to find a psychiatrist you can work with. And now that I think about it, I would tell your surgeon what's going on. Don't ask about your surgery date; ask for a recommendation for a good psychiatrist.

Wendy - I am doubling my efforts now. And thanks again for referring me to North Child. He's helped alot. I do know of a good psychiatrist who's just hard to get an appointment with. I know his family. I've decided to try and pull strings and get in there. If not before surgery, definitely within the first few weeks. 

My therapist is hard on saying I do not need medication and may have had alot to do with me getting off it all. Your opinions do not bother me. The more help you and the others give on this site really makes my day. This forum has helped me greatly in the last week. I'm excited about the change, a little worried what coworkers may think, excited about going to the beach and not being a beached whale ;) ... Thanks for doing what you do. 

WendyH - may I ask you what your typical day is like now that your a year post op? What are you eating? What are you doing? - I'm so curious! 

18 hours ago, DaniLiz said:

WendyH - may I ask you what your typical day is like now that your a year post op? What are you eating? What are you doing? - I'm so curious! 

I actually answered that question recently on the thread below. When I deviate much from what I mentioned there, I tend to get into trouble.