What do we tell our Co-workers?

I've told a handful of co-workers. Some think it's a healthy choice and others are overwhelmed with negativity it seems. I took the week of of Christmas to make it appear as I'll be spending time with family, but I like to be honest. How did you guys deal with this at work? Did EVERYONE tell their boss?

The only person who knows is my husband, it's only been 2 1/2 months for me so I don't know how long I can keep it a secret.  I had started a new diet this past April and my family was excited about it so right now they think that is what's going on. But I don't live near them so they don't seem me all the time. 

I really don't mind if they find out but I just did not want any negative thoughts or opinions. 

Agree, I don't mind people knowing but don't want negativity. So far I've only told my supervisor. He needs to know because of me having to miss work a few times for pre-op appointments, but I told him I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it with the rest of the department, so he's keeping mum. I just have a "doctors appointment" on those days. 

A couple of friends know, and my fabulous husband, of course.

I only told 2 coworkers because they had to cover me at work. As I started losing, I said I was under a doctor's care and following a high protein, low carb diet. None of that is untrue. I do not want to be the subject of gossip and a million questions.

once you ring a bell, it is impossible to unring it

I'm chewing on this topic a lot. I'm a compulsive confessor lol! I have a very difficult time allowing someone to believe something about me that isn't true. I'm a stay at home mom at present so I don't have the coworker issue but all my neighbors are friends, my extended family will all be seeing me this summer, and people at church know me. I think if they ask "what are you doing?" I will have to tell them truthfully cause it's just how I'm wired. But I've got a little bit of a "strong willed child" in me so I'll probably have an attitude of, "you got a problem with that?!" Haha!. To tell the truth, it was two different couples in my past churches that had the surgery openly that destigmatized it for me. Maybe I can be a beacon of hope for someone else. 

1 minute ago, ValerieKGorman said:

I'm chewing on this topic a lot. I'm a compulsive confessor lol! I have a very difficult time allowing someone to believe something about me that isn't true. I'm a stay at home mom at present so I don't have the coworker issue but all my neighbors are friends, my extended family will all be seeing me this summer, and people at church know me. I think if they ask "what are you doing?" I will have to tell them truthfully cause it's just how I'm wired. But I've got a little bit of a "strong willed child" in me so I'll probably have an attitude of, "you got a problem with that?!" Haha!. To tell the truth, it was two different couples in my past churches that had the surgery openly that destigmatized it for me. Maybe I can be a beacon of hope for someone else. 

No one is suggesting that you not tell people the truth - just do not tell them the whole truth.  In other words, you may want to tell them that you are on a low calorie, high protein diet in order to lose weight.  If they ask about the surgery, which is unlikely since it should not be obvious that you have had surgery, just tell them that you had to have minor surgery to fix a stomach problem.  These are truthful statements, but just not the whole truth. 

Until you lose 50 pounds or so you may want to be vey selective in who you tell the whole truth to, as lots of people are very opinionated, rude and ill informed about weight loss surgery - and thus these people will tell you that weight loss surgery does not work, is dangerous, is the easy way out, etc.  These statements will not be helpful when have not yet lost a lot of weight yet or are in a totally normal weight loss stall about 3 weeks after surgery.

I told the folks at my office about my weight loss surgery, but that was because another person at my office had a gastric bypass about 9 months before me, told everyone about it, lost weight quickly with it, and received nothing but support from the people in our office.

Although I primarily worked alone, I was upfront about my WLS for several reasons:

My tiny packed lunch/snacks were likely to cause a few raised eyebrows, not to mention the vitamins and supplements etc. I was required to take throughout the day.

Anyone around me knew that I had started a conventional diet at least twice a year for 35+ years beforehand and "just a little bit" of whatever at birthday time etc. wasn't an option.

I knew that I might possibly have an issue, low blood sugar, dumping or whatever and might need help.

Lastly, I saw first hand the issues that can arise when someone was creative about how they lost weight and when the truth did come out (the lady fainted and the medics were called), her story of just watching what she ate and exercising caused a lot of issues.

Had I decided not to tell, I would just have nipped any conversation about my weight loss in the bud with a simple "it's not a matter I wish to discuss" because generally, one little tale inevitably ends in more.

Yeah.... Our company Christmas party falls 5 days before my surgery date. I usually get all dressed up, drink wine and eat all night - literally. It's a catered event in Southern Louisiana. Come on. We have everything there. I'm stressing over what to tell the others. I'm checking with my doctor but I'm pretty sure I can have ONE glass of wine. --Then what. Should I put a protein shake in a coffee mug and pretend I'm drinking hot chocolate?

In the past, as soon as I started losing weight and telling people, the weight all came back. I have a fear that if I tell too many people, they'll begin to watch me TOO closely thus setting myself up for failure. I hear everyone's suggestions, and I'd like to just get through the night without answering anyone's questions. (Maybe I should bring an extravagant +1 this year, to take attention away from myself? lol - jj - though that may work!?)

I won't let anyone rain on my parade. I'm excited about this. My mom is so worried, and I wish I could ease her troubles. Lots of the ones I've told disagree with my decision and say I don't look over 230 lbs. Well - I'm one of those lucky ones with all the right junk in all the right places. HaHa. But I'm ready for a change in my life and a change for the better! Plus - We probably won't mysteriously run out of gumbo this year ;)  

You don't have to tell anybody anything, some of us do and some don't -- it's totally how you feel about it!

I go to a lot of parties and social events. Thus, I was very concerned about sticking out at parties once I had my surgery. This worry proved not to be problem. I now drink water on the rocks with a twist of lime at most parties.  It looks like a cocktail and thus does not look out of the ordinary.  

In terms of food at a party, also don't worry. Everyone else will be so focused on their own food that no one will notice whether or what you eat (as long as you don't bring your own food to eat).

The important thing is to relax and enjoy parties as an opportunity to talk and have fun, rather than as a time to drink and eat.