Carrie2.0

Addiction Transfer is REAL and HARD

I've been MIA for a very long time, mostly because things were going very well and I didn't think I needed the support.  Fast forward to the last 6 plus months and it seems I let myself lose control.  I have been drinking way too much and I know it, but I until last week I didn't care.  If the choice came down to beer or food, beer always won out.  To be honest, if it hadn't been for the fact that I knew my husband would badger me if I didn't eat, dinner probably wouldn't have happened for me on most nights.  Last week while on my regular morning break walk around the Fairgrounds where I work, I told my friends I wasn't feeling good; I felt like my legs were independent from my body and I was wobbly and a little dizzy.  We stopped walking and one of the 2 girls I walk with went to get her car so they could drive me back to the office.  Before she could even get a few steps away I passed out and had a pretty serious seizure.  I got lucky, my other friend is a calm, collected person and she cradled me while lowering me to the ground.  The next thing I remember is paramedics standing over me asking me if I knew my name, birthday, the current date, where I was or who the president is (which wasn't quite fair since it was 2 days after that crazy election).  I was given a lovely ride to the ER, an IV, CT scan, blood work, xrays, and urinalysis, and all the tests came back normal. They did determine I was dehydrated and had a blood sugar of just 66, probably due to the fact that the night before I drank 6 Shocktop Pretzel Wheat beers plus 3 or 4 Shocktop Lemon Shandys and maybe 1 or 2 regular Shocktop beers (I don't remember) and I don't think I really ate much at dinner.  Those were the last drops of alcohol I have had and I am determined to stay clean and sober.  So far this week has been easy, we've stayed home and watched sports, there's been no parties or concerts, but tomorrow is my first dry outing-we are going to see Mike Gordon (of Phish) in concert and I'm a little nervous. I'm stubborn as a mule and will probably stay sober just because I refuse to admit defeat or appear weak, but I'm sure it won't be easy. Luckily, my husband is my biggest supporter and cheerleader and stands by me regardless of my transgressions, and that certainly makes this a little easier but I still have a long road ahead.  I'm not posting this for sympathy, or even support, I am here as a cautionary tale, if you even think you are starting to fall down this rabbit's hole, get help.  If you aren't sure if you have a problem, talk to someone.  Honestly, I don't know that I'll be a huge help, but if you don't have someone you are comfortable talking to about this, you can send me a message and I will gladly do my best to talk you through the tough stuff.

Carrie, thanks for sharing. Enjoy the concert tomorrow. I'm glad your husband is so supportive.

Thanks, Wendy!!

It's great to see you and I'm sorry you have been struggling. You came back though, and with a very important message to share. You're courageous admission will hopefully help someone else. 

Thank you so much for sharing your story.  The increased risk of alcohol abuse after weight loss surgery is very real.

Hang in there and let us know if you need our support.

A big part of what makes this forum so good is the honesty of the posts.  Thank you so much for posting.  I'm sorry you are struggling but I believe you can do it!! I so appreciate your honesty!!!

Thank you for posting of your struggles Carrie.  It took guts to pour your heart out on the forum.  

Addiction transfer can take make forms:  food, alcohol, substance abuse, uncontrolled spending, smoking, sexual promiscuity, gambling etc., yet it's rarely given more than a fleeting mention during our bariatric programmes.

This is an excellent article posted on April 19th, 2016 by Kelly Broadwater on the The Obesity Action Coalition website:  Transfer Addiction Following Bariatric Surgery

8 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Thank you for posting of your struggles Carrie.  It took guts to pour your heart out on the forum.  

Addiction transfer can take make forms:  food, alcohol, substance abuse, uncontrolled spending, smoking, sexual promiscuity, gambling etc., yet it's rarely given more than a fleeting mention during our bariatric programmes.

This is an excellent article posted on April 19th, 2016 by Kelly Broadwater on the The Obesity Action Coalition website:  Transfer Addiction Following Bariatric Surgery

This is very true.  Thank you for posting it.

In addition, at least after gastric bypass, drinking alcohol results in a far quicker and more intense intoxication.  This can make it much easier for a person to become addicted to alcohol.  So even if a person's excess weight was not based on an addiction to food but on other factors, a gastric bypass can result in the person being far more likely to become addicted to alcohol. 

Welcome back!  Thank you for sharing your struggles.  Hope all goes well.  You can do it!

I'm 11 days sober and feeling OK.  The concert was easier to get through than anticipated and it allowed my husband to have a couple beers because I drove home (we were in St. Louis so we had a 100 mile drive).  I did have a bit of a cry Saturday night when I decided to take a bath.  I should explain, bath time is my time...I take the laptop in the bathroom with me and get caught up on my shows like How to Get Away with Murder while I drink a beer or 2 and soak away any stress.  As soon as I started running the water I got upset and shed a few tears.  Then I shed a couple more because I was mad at myself for crying because I couldn't drink a beer in the tub. Anyway, I made myself a cup of coffee, took a bath and by the time I was finished I felt much better.  I just have to keep reminding myself that this is for the best, I am going to feel so much better in the long run and maybe I will come out losing a few more pounds. 

You story resonated with me. I am joining you in not drinking. Keep us inspired. 

It is great you have support and working on sobriety....I lost my spouse to addiction transfer from food to ETOH after his RNY surgery. I ended up having to leave the marriage after trying for a year to get him help. It is very very sad....last I heard, he was shooting up heroin. Keep it up every day. You have a lot to lose. 

wow. thank you for sharing your story, it couldn't have been easy. i read these as a constant reminder. thank you. 

19 hours ago, Bass359 said:

You story resonated with me. I am joining you in not drinking. Keep us inspired. 

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to message me.  I'm not sure if I will be much help I will be but maybe we can lean on each other through some of the tougher times.  

19 hours ago, lealphachienne said:

It is great you have support and working on sobriety....I lost my spouse to addiction transfer from food to ETOH after his RNY surgery. I ended up having to leave the marriage after trying for a year to get him help. It is very very sad....last I heard, he was shooting up heroin. Keep it up every day. You have a lot to lose. 

I am so sorry for your loss, that had to be terribly hard for you to watch.  My husband would try to bring up my drinking with me (in a nice way, never accusatory or mean) but I wouldn't talk about it, mostly because I knew I had a problem and I wasn't ready to give up my beer.  I'm just a little mad at myself now that it took having a seizure to get me to finally admit it was time to give it up.

Thank you Carrie. During my first appointment with my doctor I brought up addiction transfer. We discussed if I have a very addictive personality, and as far as substances go - I don't. I have two kids with an alcoholic/addict and I REFUSE to let them lose two parents to the disease. I am  increasingly more concerned with my compulsive spending though. I'm trying to set up "budgets" (whatever those are) before the surgery to monitor it, but it seems so intangible at this point. Besides - Losing weight seems like a good excuse to go shopping? - I know it sounds like I've got the problem already, but all I can do is talk it out with someone and reason things out. Thank you again for your words, 

D

On 11/22/2016 at 2:52 PM, Carrie2.0 said:

I'm just a little mad at myself now that it took having a seizure to get me to finally admit it was time to give it up.

Everyone has a different bottom....the only way out is up. Good luck. 

Hello 

I totally agree.  It is something that have not received enough attention.  

Hello all, many of us have had weight loss surgery and is doing great and living their best lives. However, as we feel better about ourselves and the love of food move to another comfort, such as an increase social life, which can lead to transfer addictions or compulsiveness. Unfortunately, studies have shown that transfer addictions, such as alcohol use disorder and dependency has increased with this population. Please take a moment or two and complete this survey. This survey does not ask any identifying information it is 100% anonymous.

Link:

Are you a post bariatric surgery patient?

Participant Recruitment Announcement
Looking for individuals who have had bariatric/weight loss surgery to participant in a research study!
· Have you had bariatric/weight loss surgery?
· Are you over the age of 18
If you meet these criteria you are eligible to participate!
Interested?
Please click on the following link for more information and to participate: enter link : https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/6876LV2
You can also enter the link above into your internet browser to access information and participate in the study.

Doctorial Student

Edited by Doctorialstudent

Yesterday I was completely at a loss in my life. I felt a hollow emptiness, a void in my life. I have been struggling with Denial. I've been so down on myself and feeling very isolated, definitely cruising full steam to depression. No fun whatsoever. 

I felt it attributable to a cross addiction to alcohol. I would never thought, myself, ever falling into something of this sort (smarter than that) given my background. But yesterday I was confused and hurting, wondering where I needed to turn to for answers how to get myself turned around right again.

For reasons unexplained, there it was, I received a out of the blue Thinner Times email over night that hyperlinked me to this forum discussion on cross addiction (Google listening to my searches lol). I know I'm in the right place.I feel the support I need to help me re-focus here as I've always felt in the past and it will help me move forward with my life. 

Unlike some of the stories I've read (and I thank and respect each and everyone who have bared, shared and will bare and, share their life experiences here). Luckily, I sense I'm not quite yet facing a do or die (hit bottom but do I need to, nope!) I know I'm headed there fast and furious. 

Cross Addiction for me never came up pre-surgery 12 years ago in 2007 although I worried it would/could become an issue. It was never discussed with me pre-surgery. Utilizing gastric bypass support sites and knowing where they are etc did get mentioned.

Well, finally it's front and centre now, thank God, cause lord knows at least 30% of us, need all information and guidance through this terrible side effect of gastric bypass.

Understanding the problem (is half the problem solved) and knowing your not alone, talking and sharing about it with others going through the same is a God send. I look forward to doing that with you all. 

Edited by Wusang
spelling grammar

@Wusang We're with you. Denial can be a powerful way to survive bad times; but sometimes the solutions or paths out of bad times is to reassess the situation and change. Good luck!

I'm just happy that email came today. Information is empowering. All that I have, written above today and having the benefit of a loving supportive wife (still). 

Edited by Wusang
grammar

Post op alcohol addition and abuse problems are not a personal fault or weakness, they are are a direct result of the fact that after a gastric bypass (or sleeve) alcohol hits much faster and harder, and thus is much more addictive.  Thus, with the wonderful benefits of weight loss surgery comes the negative that alcohol problems are much more common. It is a physiological issue. 

We are here to support anyone with this very common problem. 

2 hours ago, Res Ipsa said:

Post op alcohol addition and abuse problems are not a personal fault or weakness, they are are a direct result of the fact that after a gastric bypass (or sleeve) alcohol hits much faster and harder, and thus is much more addictive.  Thus, with the wonderful benefits of weight loss surgery comes the negative that alcohol problems are much more common. It is a physiological issue. 

We are here to support anyone with this very common problem. 

Agreed its not a shortcoming just a natural addictive reaction however for me I've never been able to figure the cut off point for myself because I always surpassed it far too late to correct myself, thus a total abstain is the best choice for me. My surgeon was right when he said no alcohol. I should have listened to him then but I'm listening now.