Pre-Op Diet Guidelines - What are yours?

I am still confused about the information from my Dr. vs. my nutritionist, so I set another appointment on Dec. 1st (3 weeks before my surgery date) to straighten it out. The only thing I've read online that I like, is the 10 to 1 calories to protein rule. http://tucsonbariatric.com/blog/101-ratio-rule/ - This may be more of a post op diet, but I'm using it in my weeks following up as much as possible, Thanksgiving Day an exception. I do plan to eat more white meat turkey than usual though :( ha.. I look forward to hearing from you all!

Definitely check with your surgeon as all programs are different.  I didn't have to count anything, my preop was just 3 protein shakes/day and unlimited leafy greens.  Pretty simple to follow and I lost 22 pounds in 16 days.

On 11/16/2016 at 11:11 PM, ThinCVT said:

Definitely check with your surgeon as all programs are different.  I didn't have to count anything, my preop was just 3 protein shakes/day and unlimited leafy greens.  Pretty simple to follow and I lost 22 pounds in 16 days.

Thank you. I am eagerly waiting my next appointment on December 1st. With too many options is usually where I've gone wrong in the past. I absolutely love my slimfast high protein shakes. They are low sugar, low carb, 20 g protein and 180 calories and were approved by my nutritionist. I could easily just drink 4 of these, have a few glasses of water, and hopefully one food - lettuce would be nice, cucumber or a small 4 oz. fish fillet. I'll se what the doctor says. Thanks for the feedback.

My dr requires a 10 day liquid diet. I'm not sure how I'm going to survive! Lol 

14 minutes ago, ValerieKGorman said:

My dr requires a 10 day liquid diet. I'm not sure how I'm going to survive! Lol 

Just do the best you can, I pretty much stuck to the liquid and it was 5 days, not 10. I wasn't perfect, but did well with 2 or 3 exceptions.

These are my 14 day pre-op guidelines verbatim from the handout given to me on day 1 of consultation:

...Less than 1000 calories per day...

Breakfast: 1 meal replacement protein shake containing at least 20-30 grams of protein, Decaf coffee or tea with sugar substitute

Snack: Sugar free jello or popsicle 

Lunch: 1 meal replacement protein shake or soup containing at least 20-30 grams of protein

Snack: Sugar free jello or popsicle or protein bar*

Dinner: 1 meal replacement protein shake or soup containing at least 20-30 grams of protein

Snack: Sugar free jello or popsicle

*Protein bars should be less than 200 calories and low in carbs (10-20 grams)

~~~~~Now what I'd like to add to this: The shakes are so easy. I found Slim-fast's pre-made high protein shake that is 20g of protein, 180 calories, and delicious. I've got hundreds of them stocked up (yes I'm watching the expiration). For the snacks, I'm going to ask if I can add a sugar free snowball as an option on a down day to cheer me up. ALSO - I'm in luck because my surgeon is Vietnamese. I want to ask her if Pho Broth of Beef Broth from a local Vietnamese restaurant will suffice when I need something salty -- because for 2 weeks, I could easily live off these slim-fast shakes. My last request/adjustment is that I trade the protein bar snack in, for a 4 oz. fish fillet at night. Wish me luck guys. On Dec. 1st. I will get my personalized 14 day pre-op guideline, and hopefully fish and sugar-free snowballs are allowed!

I keep wanting to try this early and see what happens. But then I see food. I don't know if I can do it until I HAVE TO DO IT

• 3 weeks later...

Preop diet.. 14 day liquid diet - last day only clear liquids. I'm done with 2 days so far and proud of myself so far... minus that small kit kat I had 

Well this has become harder than I thought. PreOp day 4 - my dad asked me to bring him a Deep Dish Supreme Pizza from Pizza Hut. I told him how I didn't want to hear that word.. and he asked 2 more times! Then when looking in the freezer to fix my kids' lunch, I found - a frozen pizza. 

I had sinus surgery on Nov. 17th, and I'm still tired all the time from that. It's been 30 degrees (in South Louisiana) and I've been stuck on this liquids only diet. Problem: I hate warm drinks. Problem: It's cold! 

With all these things added together I'm REALLY considering rescheduling my surgery to the warmer months of the year. I'm just not having fun drinking frozen protein drinks in cold weather. I own 3 pairs of socks! 

Anyone agree? Maybe I should enjoy my Christmas with my two young kids. Make Christmas cookies, order pizza when it's been a hectic day of extra events, and try to loose as much weight as I can by summer. Now that I've learned so much since talking to my doctor and nutritionist.. I feel I can maybe do this -- a different way. Maybe I can do it w/o the surgery? But I'm still unsure about that. Post-poning it seems ideal right now. (I'm a cash paying patient keep in mind. I'll have to pay $10,000 for it)

Any support or opinions may help. Thanks 

My only regret in having weight loss surgery is that I waited too long to have my surgery.  I strongly suggest that you hang in there and have your surgery ASAP.  That way, you will be so much thinner and healthier when summer arrives.  Think of all the fun summer activities that you could do with your kids and family if you are much lighter then.

By the way, you absolutely can enjoy Christmas or any other holiday after your surgery - you will simply learn that what is important about the holidays is spending quality time with your family and friends talking and having fun.  

I had my surgery only a few days before Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday) and it was fine.  I have learned that unhealthy food (such as that deep dish pizza) was not and is not my friend, as eating that kind of food is what made me overweight and unhealthy.

The only reason that I would suggest that you postpone the surgery is if you had a way to get health insurance coverage for the surgery in a few months, but I assume that is not possible.

We are here to support you.

I'm the opposite to Res Ipsa in that I did regret having my surgery when I did. I was questioning my decision even after hospital admission. I actually even tried to leave on the day of surgery but was talked down by the anesthesiologist after he told me that I needed my gall bladder removed anyway (I didn't know that until that moment) so might as well do both at once. I really wasn't ready or well prepared at the time and struggled psychologically for years post-op. At the time the prep part wouldn't have mattered anyway, as there was no prep back in those days, nor was there any follow-up. Second time around is really proving no different for me pre-op, although I do have the internet thankfully. Follow-up after surgery I've been assured will be much more thorough this time though.

I've been quite happy so far with each delay that I've hit. At least I get a Christmas free of the surgeon's eating restrictions. My surgeon has already told me I'll have a 28 day liquid meal replacement diet. I have my own self-imposed restrictions but it's no real biggie if I break those. You need to do what you believe is right for you and your family. Don't let everyone else's schedules force you to do something you perhaps aren't ready for. Only you can decide whether your thoughts about delaying are because you do need more time or maybe it is fear allowing you to make excuses to delay the surgery.

I understand what both of you are saying. The insurance - doesn't look possible.. and fear - yes! I'm in such a bad mood today because my mom is so excited i'm eating (not just liquids) again. However, I'm super disappointed and feel I've failed. I'm not even sure now, If i want to have my surgery on my scheduled date, if I can, since I ate food. I hate how confusing every day is. I'm not that overweight, and I've lost 12 lbs since my first appointment, I really wish I could just eat a little.. like 4 oz of fish and some brussel sprouts, but my preop diet doesn't even allow that. Just sugar free popsicle and jello and protein shakes and other sugar free liquids. With cold weather and two kids that want to eat bacon, biscuits, chicken nuggets, macaroni, pizza, etc.etc. etc. all the time, I just felt trapped in this house. I went for a drive yesterday and left them with my mother. 

Today is warmer--- but we were still thinking about ordering in Chinese. I'm down all the time... I think I will just eat fish and protein shakes until I can talk to the doctor's office. I AM AFRAID IF I POSTPONE IT, I WON'T DO IT. Plus, that's exactly what my mother wants. 

Just now, DaniLiz said:

The insurance - doesn't look possible..

I could maybe be approved fore medicaid.. I was twice already and kept adjusting my numbers because i wanted private health insurance. However, my current surgeon does not take medicaid.

I think that Monday morning, I will call the office and explain to my patient advocate that I haven't done well with the liquid diet so far, and let them decide if I NEED TO postpone it. 

When you are a food addict, there is never a "good time" for the surgery.  There is always another holiday, birthday, picnic etc. I had my surgery at the beginning of summer and whined about birthdays and summer cook outs.

You can't rush yourself though.  This surgery does not alter your state of mind.  You will have to learn to conquer that part on your own.

The payoff is so amazing though.  My surgery was 1 1/2 years ago and I've lost 124 pounds.  I'm actually half the person I used to be.

Good luck on your decision.

I will echo the thoughts already put out there by all of the follow-ups and add only this:

I had to and continue to treat my surgery as an absolute last resort, without any other options available to me. If there was ANY other way I could have done it on my own I would not have had the surgery.

I had to get to absolute rock bottom.

Having said the above it was the best decision of my life, I am down 130+ lbs since surgery and have stalled a couple times but continue to lose.

And there really is no good time to get the surgery, I got mine in June, my wife had hers scheduled for May, and postponed twice and ended up having it in November- She is right now going through the stages and will not be able to have turkey for Christmas. She also suffered a couple of complications that set her back.

I spoke to the nurse and my patient advocate and they say - We're on for December 21st! It feels good being honest about my slip, and feeling I can come back. I worry about vacation. First week of June - Maybe I'm thin for the first time in a long time - and I'll want to eat mexican food and bbq everything, but I remember that'll be my time when the surgery is the tool helping me with portions. My plan, is that if I order enchiladas, I'll order it with a to go box. I'll put 2/3 of the plate in the to go box and out of reach an then begin eating. 

9 days to surgery. I'm nervous. I'm scared. I hope I'm not too pissy on Christmas! lol. Fingers crossed.