Will I need one? 

My doctor does things in blocks and I completed them all except the weight management which I finish January 9th. I asked my patient care coordinator if I had anymorw blocks to complete and she said weight management and then getting a pap smear which I've already done this week.  

I saw a post on here about an ekg and I was talking to someone and they said an ekg is pretty standard for surgery.  

I could probably call my doctor and ask but they have a heavy flow of calls.  

I am just curious if it's normal to do an ekg and something all offices do.  

It's possible they'll schedule me for one the closer I get to surgery but I am unsure.  

Mine did not.  I did have to have a chest X-ray close to surgery..and a bunch of lab work..

What's typical is a pre-op physical soon before general anesthesia. Mine included an EKG

That's also when we talked about what medications and vitamins to stop taking before surgery and when to resume taking what.

My surgeon required a cardio clearance and I had an EKG there.  She found something she was concerned about so I then had a stress test and echocardiogram.  She cleared me as "low risk" but wanted me to come back a year later.  Did and turned out the "issue" was signal attenuation due to tissue mass.

In the last couple of weeks before surgery I also had xrays and an ultrasound plus more blood work .  I would imagine this is pretty standard at the end to make sure nothing has changed.

Good luck.

I also had an EKG before my surgery.  In fact, I think that I had just about every test known to medicine. :rolleyes:   

Remember that weight loss surgery technically is "elective" surgery, so doctors generally do not want to perform it on a person who is not in reasonably good health.  These tests ensure that you are healthy for major elective surgery and also give a baseline to compare against as you lose weight.

I had an EKG during my pre-op.  A chest X-ray was done earlier in my programme.

I also had an EKG pre-op, but I know my program does not require one for everyone.  It is very case-by-case.  I would ask your program, best way to get the answer you need.

9 hours ago, PapaG said:

I also had an EKG pre-op, but I know my program does not require one for everyone.  It is very case-by-case.  I would ask your program, best way to get the answer you need.

I am thinking about calling them sometime this week.  I was mainly curious if it was a case by case thing or something all offices require.  

I don't mind having to have one because I want to know I'm 100% ready and healthy to have a surgery.  I was just confused about why my program hasn't said anything about the ekg during the consult and block scheduling.  

Thank you for all the help everyone.  

Having EKG is usually a hospital requirement as part of pre surgical testing. I have had 4  orthopedic surgeries in the last 16 months and I had to have an EKG as part of the hospitals preop requirements.

I had to be cleared by a cardiologist before my surgery, they did an EKG. I think it's pretty standard.

On 11/16/2016 at 5:29 PM, Abibliophobe said:

I am thinking about calling them sometime this week.  I was mainly curious if it was a case by case thing or something all offices require.  

I don't mind having to have one because I want to know I'm 100% ready and healthy to have a surgery.  I was just confused about why my program hasn't said anything about the ekg during the consult and block scheduling.  

Thank you for all the help everyone.  

Its frustrating but I've found healthcare providers to often tell us about things right when they are need with little to no advanced notice...very frustrating.

I've had an EKG before every  procedure carried out in a hospital. It's standard practice here. Hospitals here won't do a final surgical booking until they have one. It saves them having to cancel procedures when you're on the operating table if the anesthecist detects a heart irregularity. it is by far the easiest of any of the raft of tests I've had to go through so far, and still lots to go for me. 

As for why they don't tell you upfront, it may be because it is a hospital requirement, or an anesthecist requirement rather than the surgeon. When I've had to have pre-surgery chest x-rays these weren't required by the surgeon but instead were ordered by the anesthecist at a pre-surgical consult.

Edited by Aussie H