ShellyA

3 weeks Post-op and not losing

I had sleeve surgery on Sept 20th and to date I've lost 5 lbs.  What am I doing wrong?

Shelly,

You're doing nothing wrong - it's pretty common to have a stall at your stage post-op.

Just keep doing what you're doing and try not to get too obsessed with the scale.

Thank you for responding.  I am trying to avoid the scale but once a week.  I'm still trying to master the protein intake and especially the vitamin requirements.  I have yet to be able to get all 10 vitamins down in a day either.  Feeling a little and some days a lot frustrated.  

Try not to be so hard on yourself Shelly.

You won't come to any harm for a while by not getting all your vitamins down each day.  Same applies to your protein intake.  Just keep up with your fluids and plenty of walking.  The rest will follow.

Just do what you can.

Thank you so much. :-)

Your vitamin schedule will come.  Not sure what yours is but I take calcium, vit D, probiotic in the morning.  When I get home (at 3:30)from work my multivitamins (iron when I was taking it).  Supper time more calcium and bedtime more calcium.  

Most usually experience a stall around 3 weeks.  It's your body adjusting to major surgery... more than likely you gained weight while in the hospital when they pumped you full of liquids.  I weighed every other week and never noticed a stall.  

take your measurements.  When you aren't losing weight, more than likely you are losing inches.  

Stick to your program and it will come off!  Good luck on your new journey!

Relax. As CINWA and Cheesehead said, an early stall is very common. Just drink lots of liquids and stick with the diet program. The weight will come off. 

I am 1 month out post op bypass and today I weighed myself and gained 2lb. There is no physical way this can be fat so I am trying to be realistic but its so hard when we have gone through what we have to see a gain :(

I often go three weeks without losing weight. Then, I will step on the scale and be down three pounds, sometimes five. I also consider how my clothes fit. Even when I don't lose weight my clothes get baggy. I would recommend taking your measurements too. I haven't been doing it regularly, and I wish I had. I had measurements from a year ago that I took to order a dress, so, they were for upper body and hips. I don't have any for legs. Yesterday, we took my measurements and compared, and the results were amazing. 

You're still healing, give yourself some time before getting all your vitamins, water, protein, etc. in.  Right now your new sleeve is still swollen and healing.  As the others have said, you probably aren't doing anything wrong, some bodies just shed weight more slowly than others and 3 weeks is the perfect time for stall; it stinks but is a reality many of us deal with.

Just keep at it and don't lose focus.

stalls are the worst.  they can really mess with your head.  having said that, try not to let it mess with your head. :) follow your program. it works, for some it works faster than others. i never had a stall until over 5 months post op. since then my weight loss slowed considerably, and it's almost stopped for now.  I continue to follow the plan.  it works, sometimes it just requires extra patience.  one day at a time! 

Thank you all.  2 weeks w/o loss does mess with your head when you're only 3 weeks post-op.  I had a H-hernia repair at the time of surgery as well.  Thicker foods seem to be harder to get down right now.  In the last few days I have begun experiencing nausea with every protein drink. I have tried 2 different brands with the same result.  Not sure what to do about that?  My clothes are not fitting any differently yet either.  Still in same clothes with same fit.  Trying to be patient but struggling.

I had surgery on 9/6 and lost 10 pounds and then it just stopped! I was frantic, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, I upped my carbs, lowered my carbs, stopped taking some meds, walked more....nothing helped. 

I was thinking, welp this is it, not even WSL can help me now....

But finally, the scale moved again....... VERY slowly, but its moving.

I dont know what causes stalls, or how its even physically possible for someone  consuming so few calories to not lose weight...but they are going to happen.

5 hours ago, babykinz53 said:

I dont know what causes stalls, or how its even physically possible for someone  consuming so few calories to not lose weight...but they are going to happen.

Your body is adapting.  Just takes a little time to catch up.  Once it does, the scale will start moving again!

On 10/10/2016 at 1:56 PM, ShellyA said:

Thank you all.  2 weeks w/o loss does mess with your head when you're only 3 weeks post-op.  I had a H-hernia repair at the time of surgery as well.  Thicker foods seem to be harder to get down right now.  In the last few days I have begun experiencing nausea with every protein drink. I have tried 2 different brands with the same result.  Not sure what to do about that?  My clothes are not fitting any differently yet either.  Still in same clothes with same fit.  Trying to be patient but struggling.

Have you tried Genepro? It's a LIFESAVER. One scoop is one tablespoon and has 30 grams of protein in it and you can put it in with absolutely anything hot or cold, and food. Some people put it in their plain water it's so tasteless! I like mine in crystal light lemonade it's perfect! I couldn't get in even 20 grams of protein in the first two weeks post op because the drinks I tried were soooooo disgusting. Now just a scoop of this stuff in one cup of almond milk in the morning and at night and I've got my protein in! 

7 hours ago, Lyssakay said:

Have you tried Genepro? It's a LIFESAVER. One scoop is one tablespoon and has 30 grams of protein in it and you can put it in with absolutely anything hot or cold, and food. Some people put it in their plain water it's so tasteless! I like mine in crystal light lemonade it's perfect! I couldn't get in even 20 grams of protein in the first two weeks post op because the drinks I tried were soooooo disgusting. Now just a scoop of this stuff in one cup of almond milk in the morning and at night and I've got my protein in! 

Be careful with counting Genepro as 30 grams of protein.  Their label has some legal speak on it-the asterisk after 30 grams is important.  It's really 10 grams, but they claim that their super special protein blend absorbs 3 times as well as whey protein isolate.

If I used it, I would personally only count it as 10 grams of protein to err on the side of caution.

I've had a few myself so I know how super frustrating stalls can be. The good news is it won't last. Some other things to consider....

Are the batteries fresh in your scale? I use my scale more than the average person so I have to make sure to change out the batteries regularly to ensure I'm getting accurate readings. Someone pointed this out to me a while ago after I posted a freakout that I had gained/not lost. After I put in fresh batteries, the number on the scale made WAY more sense.

Weigh at the same time, every time, and under the same circumstances. Most suggest first thing in the morning, sans clothing, after you've used the bathroom.

Many of us weigh more coming home from the hospital than when we went in. This has to do with all the fluids that are pumped into you during the procedure. It takes a while for this to dissipate.

I have noticed a direct correlation between my fluid consumption and daily weight. My body tends to hold on to pounds when I'm not drinking enough water. The days where I drink 70+ oz of water show a positive affect on the scale the following morning.

Try to relax. You've just had 80% of your stomach removed so if you stick to your plan you are 100% guaranteed to lose weight. Hang in there and let us know how you make out.

On 10/12/2016 at 1:07 PM, tkk54915 said:

Be careful with counting Genepro as 30 grams of protein.  Their label has some legal speak on it-the asterisk after 30 grams is important.  It's really 10 grams, but they claim that their super special protein blend absorbs 3 times as well as whey protein isolate.

If I used it, I would personally only count it as 10 grams of protein to err on the side of caution.

Are you sure? I looked up what you said and could not find any information on that as it still says it's 30grams,  is there a link you can send? 

Unless you are a vegetarian, a great source of protein is sliced roasted turkey breast that you buy at the supermarket deli.  Four oz (1/4 pound) has 34 grams of protein and only 153 calories. 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 0:56 PM, Lyssakay said:

Are you sure? I looked up what you said and could not find any information on that as it still says it's 30grams,  is there a link you can send? 

There's a lot of info out there if you google Genepro.

I don't know if it's OK to link to another WLS forum, but here's one thread where it is discussed:  http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/330098-genepro-users-check-this-out/

I questioned it because protein has 4 calories per gram.  So, if it is 30 grams of protein, science says it should be at least 120 calories, but their label says 56.7 (according to the label I found on Amazon, I've never purchased it).  Are they using magic?  :wacko:

I just wouldn't risk counting it as 30.  It could very well be right, but it sure doesn't seem right to me.  I am not an expert or a scientist though, so I could be wrong.  It just sounds too good to be true!  I don't want to scare you, but I just wouldn't trust it.

I'm now 7 weeks post-op and down 10 lbs.  Not overly satisfied with results and still feeling frustrated.

I found this about GENEPRO® GEN2  I've only pasted part of the article.

Medical Grade protein perfect for bariatric, post-surgical patients or anyone looking to add pure protein to their diet. The combination of the Tri-Protein and the way it is processed along with the addition of protease enzymes, allows for the equivalent of a 30gram** (we haven't broken the laws of physics with getting a 15g weight to equal 30g in weight but with the absorbability/bioavailability value of Genepro Gen2 you are getting the equivalent of the same 30g serving size of regular whey protein) serving of protein with only a 1 TBSP serving size. With the small granule nature of this protein, it allows the powder to mix almost instantly in any beverage (hot or cold). It is flavorless and odorless and does not change the consistency of the beverage. Coffee, juice, soda or any item you may be drinking, can now be your source of the most complex and complete protein. This electrophoresis process allows us to remove bacteria and impurities in the base protein for immediate absorption into the system and bypasses the intestinal digestive system by 94%. With GENEPRO® GEN2, we have added in Prohydrolase®*** which further increases the absorbency to 97.8%. Compare this to Whey Isolate that has an absorption rate of only 31%, making GENEPRO® GEN2 three times more effective than any other protein on the market. Genepro is ideal for individuals with gluten sensitivity, lactose intolerance, diabetics and bariatric patients. Because of this immediate absorption your body peaks with a surge of insulin 10 times more anabolic than Testosterone. This will also trigger your thyroid from a molecular level to match the surge of insulin causing your body to be in a full anabolic and fat burning state, while supplying the muscles with the world's most complete and usable protein. This combination feeds the muscles and aids in the repair and the building of new muscle at a record rate. The evolution of performance supplementation is here and it goes by the name of GENEPRO® GEN2

I'm 3 weeks post op now.  I lost 13 and gained 3, so only 10 pounds so far.  I'm glad I found this thread.  I'm disappointed but feel better now after reading this.