Hey guys!

I'm not a drinker, never have been really. Saying this at age 21 lol... but anyways I was wondering if anyone has tried drinking alcohol and how late after surgery and how much did you drink before starting to feel a little tipsy? lol

I am just curious! I'm only three weeks out and have no intentions! 

My advice is "don't go there" -- I did and it was a HUGE mistake. They call it "addiction transfer" and it derails many people. Thankfully, I saw what was happening and stopped it!

good advice! I have heard of the addiction transfer, hopefully mine will be exercise :rolleyes: I hate alcohol, couldn't stand it in any way and I hated the drunk feeling! honestly, I was into marijuana *guilty pleasure* It helped with my anxiety tremendously, and I definitely can't start that any time soon because of the munchies, plus smoking has the risk of stomach ulcers... not worth it ever.  Thanks for the reply!  Glad to hear you were able to stop it before any permanent damage that's for sure.

I've never been a big drinker, but 2 weeks ago I did indulge in a vodka and cranberry.  1 drink was good for me just to be social.  No empty calories are wworth it

WLS doesn't mean you can't drink but you will get drunk more quickly, albeit it is different for everyone.  But I would stick with Tom's recommendation, addiction transfer is too easy, so tread carefully.

I don't like beer or strong alcohol.  That said I used to love a margarita or Bloody Mary-if it didn't taste like alcohol it was good!  I'm bypass.  But most of the time alcohol makes me sliming, trying to throw up sick!  One shot is enough to put me under the table.  Until reaching goal the empty calories are not worth it!  

Before trying alcohol in public try it at home so you know how you will react.  

Pits easy to fake out your friends; have the bar tender put cranberry juice in a wine glass or get a glass of water and add mio flavor drops in a darker color-no one is ever the wiser.  

I was an alcoholic before having WLS.  I drank every single day for years.  I drank alone.  I drank with others.  I drank to celebrate.  I drank to bury my grief and frustrations.  I drank for courage.  I drank to get drunk.  But when I decided to have WLS, I saw it as a package deal.  I quit drinking the day I started my preop diet.

however, I have drank alcohol since my VSG.  First glass of wine at 4 months postop.  Then a 1/2 Bloody Mary at 5 months. And then a couple cranberry vodkas at 6 months.  At almost 3 years postop, I may have a drink 3-4 times/month.  I simply treat it like any other carb I really shouldn't have and only do so in moderation, even though Amarula is SO yummy :P  Unfortunately alcohol does not affect me any differently than preop.  I can still outdrink a football team.  I say unfortunately because I was really looking forward to being a light weight.  But that's probably a good thing.  The number of calories I'd have to consume to even get buzzed is not worth it..  I end up sipping on ice water at most parties.  People don't care if I'm drinking alcohol or not.  Other than at the end of the night when I'm sober and they need a ride home....then I'm the hero!  Meanwhile I'm still waiting to see what my addiction transfer might be, cause it's not cleaning or exercise :( 

I wouldn't think that the VSG would have any direct effect on how quickly a person gets drunk. Drunkenness is determined more by how much alcohol is in your bloodstream; not by the size of your stomach. However, I would think that the weight loss following VSG should reduce the body's blood capacity somewhat, so drinking the same amount of alcohol after significant weight loss as before would probably make a person more drunk.

3 hours ago, ThinCVT said:

I was an alcoholic before having WLS.  I drank every single day for years.  I drank alone.  I drank with others.  I drank to celebrate.  I drank to bury my grief and frustrations.  I drank for courage.  I drank to get drunk.  But when I decided to have WLS, I saw it as a package deal.  I quit drinking the day I started my preop diet.

however, I have drank alcohol since my VSG.  First glass of wine at 4 months postop.  Then a 1/2 Bloody Mary at 5 months. And then a couple cranberry vodkas at 6 months.  At almost 3 years postop, I may have a drink 3-4 times/month.  I simply treat it like any other carb I really shouldn't have and only do so in moderation, even though Amarula is SO yummy :P  Unfortunately alcohol does not affect me any differently than preop.  I can still outdrink a football team.  I say unfortunately because I was really looking forward to being a light weight.  But that's probably a good thing.  The number of calories I'd have to consume to even get buzzed is not worth it..  I end up sipping on ice water at most parties.  People don't care if I'm drinking alcohol or not.  Other than at the end of the night when I'm sober and they need a ride home....then I'm the hero!  Meanwhile I'm still waiting to see what my addiction transfer might be, cause it's not cleaning or exercise :( 

Wow that's amazing that you were able to quit cold turkey the day of your surgery and are able to manage it still! I know an alcoholic so I know how hard it is! That's great!! And yea I can't imagine myself being addicted to the gym lol or cleaning omg but who knows! I also can't picture myself thinner I have always been overweight since I was 8 years old! So thankful for this amazing surgery!

12 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I don't like beer or strong alcohol.  That said I used to love a margarita or Bloody Mary-if it didn't taste like alcohol it was good!  I'm bypass.  But most of the time alcohol makes me sliming, trying to throw up sick!  One shot is enough to put me under the table.  Until reaching goal the empty calories are not worth it!  

Before trying alcohol in public try it at home so you know how you will react.  

Pits easy to fake out your friends; have the bar tender put cranberry juice in a wine glass or get a glass of water and add mio flavor drops in a darker color-no one is ever the wiser.  

Omg lol I use to always fake out my friends haha that is a great idea! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jerry M said:

I wouldn't think that the VSG would have any direct effect on how quickly a person gets drunk. Drunkenness is determined more by how much alcohol is in your bloodstream; not by the size of your stomach. However, I would think that the weight loss following VSG should reduce the body's blood capacity somewhat, so drinking the same amount of alcohol after significant weight loss as before would probably make a person more drunk.

Alcohol definitely is absorbed differently after VSG. I used to be able to have a couple of glasses of wine and feel fairly normal-just a slight buzz. Now after about 2 ounces of wine I'm buzzed. It does wear off more quickly though. 

9 hours ago, Lyssakay said:

Wow that's amazing that you were able to quit cold turkey the day of your surgery and are able to manage it still! I know an alcoholic so I know how hard it is! That's great!! And yea I can't imagine myself being addicted to the gym lol or cleaning omg but who knows! I also can't picture myself thinner I have always been overweight since I was 8 years old! So thankful for this amazing surgery!

Thanks!  It truly is amazing what you can accomplish with the help of a good therapist.  Too bad I hadn't found one decades ago....I might have avoided becoming such a trainwreck in the first place.

And you will be surprised at what you will be able to accomplish moving forward with the right attitude and right tools, both physical and psychological.  Life is tough....don't be afraid to seek help wherever and whenever you can.  Good luck!

21 hours ago, cherylm321 said:

Alcohol definitely is absorbed differently after VSG. I used to be able to have a couple of glasses of wine and feel fairly normal-just a slight buzz. Now after about 2 ounces of wine I'm buzzed. It does wear off more quickly though. 

But the question is...  is your lower tolerance due to VSG itself, or do to your massive weight loss?

Edited by kzoojason76

On 10/11/2016 at 11:32 AM, kzoojason76 said:

But the question is...  is your lower tolerance due to VSG itself, or do to your massive weight loss?

I think it's the sleeve.

16 hours ago, cherylm321 said:

I think it's the sleeve.

I guess I would need to see the medical evidence that suggests that physically removing part of your stomach will cause absorption of alcohol faster.  For RYN patients.. I can see this being the case.  Alcohol is bypassing the stomach and going right into your intestines.  But for sleeve patients, the stomach is still in play (just a much smaller one).

My best medical opinion (and I'm not a doctor, I just slept at a Holiday Inn), is that having less body mass (an effect of having VSG) is causing you to get drunk faster.  Having VSG itself isn't causing you to get drunk.  VSG is causing you to have less body mass.

2 hours ago, kzoojason76 said:

I guess I would need to see the medical evidence that suggests that physically removing part of your stomach will cause absorption of alcohol faster.  For RYN patients.. I can see this being the case.  Alcohol is bypassing the stomach and going right into your intestines.  But for sleeve patients, the stomach is still in play (just a much smaller one).

My best medical opinion (and I'm not a doctor, I just slept at a Holiday Inn), is that having less body mass (an effect of having VSG) is causing you to get drunk faster.  Having VSG itself isn't causing you to get drunk.  VSG is causing you to have less body mass.

Take a look:

https://asmbs.org/patients/life-after-bariatric-surgery

Drinking Alcohol

Q: Can I drink alcohol after surgery? 
A: Alcohol is not recommended after bariatric surgery. Alcohol contains calories but minimal nutrition and will work against your weight loss goal. For example, wine contains twice the calories per ounce that regular soda does. The absorption of alcohol changes with gastric bypass and gastric sleeve because an enzyme in the stomach which usually begins to digest alcohol is absent or greatly reduced.

Alcohol may also be absorbed more quickly into the body after gastric bypass or gastric sleeve. The absorbed alcohol will be more potent, and studies have demonstrated that obesity surgery patients reach a higher alcohol level and maintain the higher levels for a longer period than others. In some patients, alcohol use can increase and lead to alcohol dependence. For all of these reasons, it is recommended to avoid alcohol after bariatric surgery.

I think they are lumping gastric bypass and gastric sleeve together.  It would be nice to find separate findings for each.

Gastric Bypass totally makes sense.  Alcohol would go directly into your intestines
Gastric Sleeve still has the buffer of your stomach before the alcohol goes to your intestines and gets absorbed into your blood stream.

When I have some time this weekend, I'll do some searches on PubMed to see if I can find any case studies. I hate when they try to lump the two together.  They are different procedures and should have different research.

Just an FYI, I'm by no way advocating for the drinking of alcohol.  I'm just trying to prove my case that it is the effect of the surgery, and not the surgery itself, that is the cause for a lower tolerance.  I'm hypothesizing that if you lost 100+ lbs on Atkins (or some other diet), and you stopped drinking for awhile, it would also have the same effect, and lower your tolerance.  In that case, Atkins didn't cause you to have a lower tolerance, losing all the weight because of being on Atkins did.

I was a very heavy drinker, usually go through 1.75L bottle of rum every 2 days, Rum and Diet coke was my poison. When I went to see the surgeon in February, they told me I'd have to stop prior to surgery. I lived it up until my birthday in April, stopped and haven't looked back. I have no interest in it, my goal is to get healthy. To be honest, it was totally empty calories, A LOT of empty calories. I had my Surgery this past week and I have not experienced what I knew as hunger, have not had cravings for trigger foods or alcohol, waiting for that shoe to drop. For the past 6 months when offered drinks in a social situation, I have just told friends that I've stopped drinking for my health. I have no desire at this point to start it up again.

Wow good for you for being able to stop and not look back! The first two and a half weeks I haven't had any cravings for anything and didn't feel any hunger, as soon as I started on soft foods I started the cravings again! Mostly at night like I did before surgery, but I fought them! It took about three days of fighting them now I don't have any cravings. If you start craving candy or anything try the sugar free they are not bad at all! Just limit them as much as you can so you dont keep the craving for them long 

Azharleydude.....

congrats on moving forward to a new, healthier life.  Kind of funny how one day that switch flips in your head and boom....you're on your way.

Lyssakay....

Good job on staying strong.  Saying "no" this time really does make it easier to say no next time.  It becomes quite empowering.

On 10/16/2016 at 2:38 PM, Lyssakay said:

Wow good for you for being able to stop and not look back! The first two and a half weeks I haven't had any cravings for anything and didn't feel any hunger, as soon as I started on soft foods I started the cravings again! Mostly at night like I did before surgery, but I fought them! It took about three days of fighting them now I don't have any cravings. If you start craving candy or anything try the sugar free they are not bad at all! Just limit them as much as you can so you dont keep the craving for them long 

Thank you, I missed it for about the first week, but after that not so much, I slept better, felt better, etc.

This week I start soft foods, so I am sure the cravings will come. I used to also be a hard candy fiend, would always have some near by, I will see how that goes hahaa, I do like the sugar free popsicles and SF jello, so that may be my new sweets go to for awhile.

On 10/16/2016 at 5:33 PM, ThinCVT said:

Azharleydude.....

congrats on moving forward to a new, healthier life.  Kind of funny how one day that switch flips in your head and boom....you're on your way.

ThinCVT....

Thank you, This has been a decision that I literally have put off for more than a decade, I was just scared to do it. My Aunt had RnY in the late 80's and she is still extremely successful with it and she was the person who really started pushing me probably 15+ years ago, but I was just fearful. I got to a point in my life that it was a last ditch hope. I told my surgeon in my first consult that I was still scared to do it, but I would rather die on the table during surgery that to continue living the life on the path that I was on. I have to say even being 1 week out from surgery, It has been one of the best life choices I have made and I truly wish I had made it sooner, I lost a lot of years of doing things I had a passion for simply because of my weight. 

24 minutes ago, AZHARLEYDUDE said:

Thank you, I missed it for about the first week, but after that not so much, I slept better, felt better, etc.

This week I start soft foods, so I am sure the cravings will come. I used to also be a hard candy fiend, would always have some near by, I will see how that goes hahaa, I do like the sugar free popsicles and SF jello, so that may be my new sweets go to for awhile.

My father was an alcoholic, and he was sober for the last ten years of his life, though he switched to hard candy and said it was common with recovering alchoholics.

Finally found a case study that didn't lump VSG and RYN together. This study was for VSG only.

http://www.academia.edu/11697223/Alcohol_metabolism_is_not_affected_by_sleeve_gastrectomy

- Jason

True, they are not the same, VSG works by restriction. RNY does as well, with malabsorption being the other mechanism.