My Bariatric Life

Plastic surgery patient wins malpractice suit

This is a true story of a patient that was horribly disfigured by her plastic surgeon. She successfully sued him for malpractice, which is a very difficult thing to do since the law is on the surgeon's side owing to heavy lobbyists and the unequivocal power of insurance companies to litigate, as well as the bias of juries that plastic surgery is elective and therefore you get what you deserve. 

Here is her story on RealSelf, with photos https://www.realself.com/review/desplanes-il-butt-lift-disaster-surgery-performed-dr-vincent-makhalouf#comment-4469039

Here is the story on her attorney's blog http://www.sandberglaw.com/blog/2015/11/12/jury-awards-200000-for-botched-cosmetic-surgery/ 

On 10/9/2016 at 12:18 AM, My Bariatric Life said:

This is a true story of a patient that was horribly disfigured by her plastic surgeon. She successfully sued him for malpractice, which is a very difficult thing to do since the law is on the surgeon's side owing to heavy lobbyists and the unequivocal power of insurance companies to litigate, as well as the bias of juries that plastic surgery is elective and therefore you get what you deserve. 

Here is her story on RealSelf, with photos https://www.realself.com/review/desplanes-il-butt-lift-disaster-surgery-performed-dr-vincent-makhalouf#comment-4469039

Here is the story on her attorney's blog http://www.sandberglaw.com/blog/2015/11/12/jury-awards-200000-for-botched-cosmetic-surgery/ 

Sorry for bringing back this 3 year old thread, but I just found it...

If you look at the above RealSelf link (the first one), you can see a truly horrendous result IMO - I know bad results happen that are not really the surgeon's .. but that result looks far beyond that - which is why she won the malpractice suit... yet when you  look you that doctor on RealSelf  :

https://www.realself.com/find/Illinois/Chicago/Plastic-Surgeon/M-Vincent-Makhlouf

He has a lot of rave reviews and a rating of 4.7 stars out of 5!

So can one really trust the ratings there?  

I am still considering having plastics done...

I am very close to 200lbs below my highest weight and i could REALLY use it... Money being a big factor... the second one is finding surgeon I think can trust to do a good job...

I am not in the Chicago area so this guy would not have been in the running, but If he was in my area, from the reviews on RealSelf I would not have known to steer clear of him!

Every surgeon is likely to have at least one unhappy patient and even that can come from unrealistic expectations from the patent rather than the result... So in general one bad review (unless  documented ) would not not been disqualifying for me if most of the other were very good...

After seeing this I have no idea how to pick who to go to I'm my area for consults (there are a good number to choose from!) I don't know anyplace else to find out a lot lot of reviews of local surgeons who handle massive weight loss patients (I think I need a lower body lift, thigh and arm lifts and breast redone - almost everything basically!)... Even the one at Mass General Hospital has some negative reviews... and I have to say the case above has me spooked!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

- Karen

On 9/27/2019 at 12:34 PM, KarenBos said:

Sorry for bringing back this 3 year old thread, but I just found it...

If you look at the above RealSelf link (the first one), you can see a truly horrendous result IMO - I know bad results happen that are not really the surgeon's .. but that result looks far beyond that - which is why she won the malpractice suit... yet when you  look you that doctor on RealSelf  :

https://www.realself.com/find/Illinois/Chicago/Plastic-Surgeon/M-Vincent-Makhlouf

He has a lot of rave reviews and a rating of 4.7 stars out of 5!

So can one really trust the ratings there?  

I am still considering having plastics done...

I am very close to 200lbs below my highest weight and i could REALLY use it... Money being a big factor... the second one is finding surgeon I think can trust to do a good job...

I am not in the Chicago area so this guy would not have been in the running, but If he was in my area, from the reviews on RealSelf I would not have known to steer clear of him!

Every surgeon is likely to have at least one unhappy patient and even that can come from unrealistic expectations from the patent rather than the result... So in general one bad review (unless  documented ) would not not been disqualifying for me if most of the other were very good...

After seeing this I have no idea how to pick who to go to I'm my area for consults (there are a good number to choose from!) I don't know anyplace else to find out a lot lot of reviews of local surgeons who handle massive weight loss patients (I think I need a lower body lift, thigh and arm lifts and breast redone - almost everything basically!)... Even the one at Mass General Hospital has some negative reviews... and I have to say the case above has me spooked!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

- Karen

Look at the number of reviews a person has written. Many fake reviews are just one offs, meaning that the person has written one review. Then take those out. They are probably written by the practice if good or written by a competitor if bad. 

Talk to people privately or via private messaging. They will give you more info than they will give publicly. 

Interview at least three surgeons.

Don't be taken in by marketing hype. The best surgeon is not necessarily the most popular one. 

Don't be taken in by charm. There is a surgeon in CA who is well known for bariatric plastic surgery. He charmed one of his patients telling her that he could make her a 10! Whereas another surgeon told her that he was not a magician. Now, this other surgeon, the one who charmed her, well, I have had quite a few patients issues serious complaints to me about him privately. 

Google the surgeon's name and see what you come up with. Also Google Dr. Surgeon + complaints, and Dr. Surgeon + reviews, and Dr. Surgeon + lawsuits, etc. I once disqualified a surgeon based on his Facebook posts. 

Trust your gut instinct. 

There are some articles on my website that you'd find helpful.