Rhodeshouse

Hunger - not even a week post op

Hi everyone,

So I am not even a week post op, that will be on Thursday and last night I started feeling this feeling in my stomach that felt like hunger.... I thought maybe I was wrong and it was just gas but then again tonight it is happening. I am eating as my doctor says and have already reached my 64 oz of water a day goal as of yesterday. I wasn't hungry not even a little bit until now. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm just a little worried maybe I'm one of the unlucky ones who it wont work for. However, I have lost 10 lbs since surgery and again its not even been a full week. 

Which procedure did you have? Sleeve commonly has issues with stomach acid. As a result, doctors recommend using acid blockers for several months. Excess acid can mimic hunger, so you can try initiating or switching acid blockers to see if that helps with the hungry sensation. Also, drinking more fluids can help keep you from feeling empty inside. Going over 64 oz is fine, even beneficial.

Ashley, at 5 days post-RNY, I'd be surprised if you felt actual hunger but either way, maybe you're going too long between meals/snacks and what you're feeling is emptiness.  

Try splitting up your protein shakes and have half of one in the evening.  Or a drink of milk.   

I'd also be surprised if you had hunger at this phase.  Most commonly its due to acid in the stomach from the healing process.  As Wendy and Cinwa suggest, drink more fluids if possible, it helps settle things down.

Thank you all for your input. I was thinking it may not be actual hunger because it doesn't rumble like when I am hungry just kind of sits there feeling hungry if that makes since. It always goes away by the time I wake up. I will definitely try to drink more fluids. I've come to see my surgeon does the nutrition different than most, I have been on yogurt and cottage cheese since day 4 and today I get to start eggs, and beans. I am not supposed to have protein drinks. Anyways, I will definitely try and drink more and maybe make my meals a bit closer together. I had Gastric Bypass, btw Wendy. 

Not supposed to have protein drinks?  Wow.  I can't imagine even coming close to meeting my protein goals for a good month or so after surgery without the use of protein drinks.  How much protein are you getting now per day?  

39 minutes ago, BeachGirl said:

Not supposed to have protein drinks?  Wow.  I can't imagine even coming close to meeting my protein goals for a good month or so after surgery without the use of protein drinks.  How much protein are you getting now per day?  

Ditto.  My sleeve restriction was so tight, I couldn't have met protein goals without protein shakes for the first 6 months!   And since they are so easy, they taste good (at least the way I make them), and whey protein is the #1 best absorbed form of protein available, I still have 4-5/ week at over 2 1/2 years out.  It makes it easy to get in my 80+g of protein.

My surgeon doesn't have us counting grams of protein we eat. He just wants each meal to be 70% protein and 30% vegetables. Which with only eating 2 ounces each meal is basically 1 1/2 ounces protein and 1/2 ounce vegetables. Their reasoning for not wanting us to have protein drinks is because they want us to actually eat our protein.  

Early targets for food amounts are just that, targets -- your bariatric team knows that very few people can actually hit them. I felt much better after day 5 when I called the team and they told me this.

Well sure....eventually.  But at first, it probably isn't possible to eat adequate amounts of protein.  

Normally, I'm a fan of following your (and that's a universal 'you', not a 'you you') surgeon's program.  They can vary widely.  But the math isn't adding up here, I don't think.  So if you have 1.5 oz of meat at a sitting, that's roughly 12g protein, give or take.  Times three meals a day, that's only 36g protein.  I can't imagine that your surgeon's program doesn't include goals (I'm not saying your info is inaccurate, just that it seems odd to me that they wouldn't lay out guidelines) but I think most programs include goals of 60+ grams a day, many are in the 80-ish range.  So it may be that your body is trying to tell you it doesn't have enough fuel to operate.  If you added even one 30g shake to that a day, you'd be more in the range of where you probably should be for protein intake.  If you don't take in enough calories and protein, your body will think it's starving and it will actually hinder your weight loss.

Just my non-medical-professional opinion, so please take that for what it's worth :)

Three things.  First of all, after a gastric bypass "hunger" is usually just thirst - so drink some liquids and you should find that your hunger goes away.

Next, although I am not a fan of protein shakes (as they usually taste awful :angry:), you really do need to get your protein in each day.  Try Carnation Light Start no sugar added (blue box) chocolate flavor (you add it to skim milk) - it is sold in most supermarkets near the cereals, tastes great, and is fairly high in protein.  

Finally, here is a link to a very thoughtful guide to eating after gastric bypass from one of the major hospitals in Boston.

https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/~/media/Brochures/TuftsMC/Patient Care Services/Departments and Services/Weight and Wellness Center/GBP Diet Manual12611.ashx

The extra protein you get from a shake would also aid in the healing process!

Sounds exactly like me at that exact week.... it was acid. Pepcid didn't work so they switched Me to lansoprazole the strongest 30mgs 2 x daily. Bam! Within hrs hunger pangs gone. I'm a year out and never ever am hungry. When I do feel hunger pangs it's because I had wine, coffee or ate laying down. So I pop a pill and 20 mins later it's gone..... I've never been hungry since day one of surgery it was either acid in my stomach  (different feeling than heartburn ) or head hunger. 

I'm just new but it sounds strange that you don't drink protein shakes because protein is what actually takes your hunger pangs away (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Not when the "hunger pangs" aren't actually that but acid in the stomach. No amount of any food takes that acid pain away...... I was drinking 3 to 4 protein shakes a day, greek yogurt, string cheese, milk, eggs, tuna etc...... nothing helped that knawing pain......