Norbert Janosik

Drug absorption after bariatric surgery

U can read a lot about the topic. This is genuine:

http://www.ajhp.org/content/63/19/1852.full.pdf+html

After the surgery diabetes was gone, felt well.

In 06/2015 I was diagnosed with larynx cancer. Cured (surgery, radiotherapy).

In 06/2016 I was diagnosed with lung cancer, getting chemotherapy, now.

I am not saying the bypass surgery was the cause I just state the facts (I stopped smoking 10 years ago, drank alcohol weekly, living a stressful life lately)

Now i try to take vitamins and other stuff but realized they might not absorb.

That's why I attached this article.

1852.pdf

Edited by Norbert Janosik

As this article states, there is no dispute that some medications are not absorbed as well after a RNY gastric bypass.  Thus, if you have a gastric bypass (or a DS), then you need to work with your doctors to avoid taking medications which have this problem by subsituting other medications that do not have this issue.

I am very sorry that you have had two bouts of cancer.  Like most people, my family has been "touched" by cancer, and I fully understand how awful it is.  I hope that you can cure the lung cancer just like you cured the larynx cancer.

However, given that both of these cancers are in the respiratory rather than the digestive system, it is very unlikely that your gastric bypass caused them.  Indeed, I am unaware of any study that has linked your cancer types to a gastric bypass, although both are fairly common cancers for people who smoked.

In any case, hang in there and we are all pulling for you!

22 minutes ago, Jodi Gardner said:

Does anyone know how heavy you have to be for gastric bypass surgery?

Generally, it's a BMI of 40 or BMI of 35 with at least 2 comorbidities.

This is a list of common comorbidities of morbid obesity that are accepted by most major insurance carriers.

Arthritis
Sleep Apnea
High Blood Pressure
High Cholesterol
Type 2 Diabetes
Venous Stasis Disease (Collection of Blood in the Lower Limbs)
Soft Tissue Infections

On 9/13/2016 at 11:27 PM, Res Ipsa said:

As this article states, there is no dispute that some medications are not absorbed as well after a RNY gastric bypass.  Thus, if you have a gastric bypass (or a DS), then you need to work with your doctors to avoid taking medications which have this problem by subsituting other medications that do not have this issue.

I am very sorry that you have had two bouts of cancer.  Like most people, my family has been "touched" by cancer, and I fully understand how awful it is.  I hope that you can cure the lung cancer just like you cured the larynx cancer.

However, given that both of these cancers are in the respiratory rather than the digestive system, it is very unlikely that your gastric bypass caused them.  Indeed, I am unaware of any study that has linked your cancer types to a gastric bypass, although both are fairly common cancers for people who smoked.

In any case, hang in there and we are all pulling for you!

After bypass surgery I started taking D3 vitamin pills and B12 injections (1000 microgram). I have had 5 lab tests since. B12 looks ok, so far but whatever I do ( tried several D3 pills, creams) my D3 level is low as it can be seen in my attached lab result..

As the article I attached in my previous comment says absorption and bioavailibility are not the same. In other words taking vitamins doesn't necessarily raise the level of the vitamins in your body.

I might go for D3 injections.

D3 B12 lab test.jpg

Edited by Norbert Janosik

6 hours ago, Norbert Janosik said:

After bypass surgery I started taking D3 vitamin pills and B12 injections (1000 microgram). I have had 5 lab tests since. B12 looks ok, so far but whatever I do ( tried several D3 pills, creams) my D3 level is low as it can be seen in my attached lab result..

As the article I attached in my previous comment says absorption and bioavailibility are not the same. In other words taking vitamins doesn't necessarily raise the level of the vitamins in your body.

I might go for D3 injections.

D3 B12 lab test.jpg

Norbert,

What form of vitamin D3 are you taking?

I had issues with my vitamin D levels but it was only after I switched to a dry form D3 and took 10,000 IU daily (the IOM (Institute of Medicine) regards 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily as the safe upper limit for daily supplementation).  Gastric bypass patients do not absorb gelcap supplements too well. 

I don't know whether dry form D3 is widely available in Hungary but Amazon.com is worth checking out.