Sign in to follow this  
tracyringo

looking for someone who has had surgery with medicare

Hi   Just curios if any of you had had bariactric surgery with medicare and what it all entailed to qualify?  

Hmmmmm, I'm 66 and signed up for Medicare. I suspect it won't help, but this is truly a guess. Medicare is a federal program, as opposed to Medicaid, which is run by the states. I've never heard of bariatric surgery being covered by either program. 

I could very well be wrong, just passing along my experience. I'm well-read, though could easily have missed the true answer to this question.

1 minute ago, Shirleymac said:

Medicare is what I am using, so far, looks like it's a go!

I hope it works for you! Please keep us informed!

Medicare requires a BMI of 35 or 40 w comorbidities, and a PCP referral showing weight loss attempts--that's it. They pay 80 percent.  However if you have an Advantage plan along w Medicare, they may impose additional requirements. Call your secondary plan. I have United AARP as my supplemental insurance to cover the 20 percent Medicare does not, and they have no additional requirements. I had my sleeve on 8/19/2016 and it was covered completely using Medicare/United AARP.

Edited by BrightValley
Added sentence

Thank you...