Txvsg

Worst eating habit

I'm just curious as to what your worst eating habit was? I know we all had our own road to getting in the situation we were in.. 

My worst habit was the need to clean my plate. I've always been told as a child to clean my plate and as an adult I wasn't even noticing I was full because I was focused on not wasting food. 

My worst food habit was eating two dinners. I would drive to a McDonalds at about six pm on my way home and buy a couple of burgers at the drive through.  I would eat them in the car. Then I would go home and have a big dinner. 

I have not eaten any McDonalds food since my gastric bypass. 

Is it possible to have multiple worst food habits?

• Huge portions
  • FInishing a plate no matter how huge
  • Grazing
  • and on and on...

I was a sugar a holic.  I loved candy, donuts, soft swishy bread...

17 minutes ago, Res Ipsa said:

My worst food habit was eating two dinners. I would drive to a McDonalds at about six pm on my way home and buy a couple of burgers at the drive through.  I would eat them in the car. Then I would go home and have a big dinner. 

I haven't eaten any thing from McDonald's since surgery, either.  Unless a free decaf coffee counts;). I'm glad they have a calorie count on their board as I probably would have chosen an iced coffee and that was way higher in calories.  Seeing the calories make me think twice...

Sweet snacking all afternoon and all night long.  

I'm addicted to sugar and all kinds of bread. I would eat loads of chocolate bars and never skip dessert . Plus eating regular meals and grazing all day. Especially after 4pm and in front of the tv at night.

11 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

I was a sugar a holic.  I loved candy, donuts, soft swishy bread...

I haven't eaten any thing from McDonald's since surgery, either.  Unless a free decaf coffee counts;). I'm glad they have a calorie count on their board as I probably would have chosen an iced coffee and that was way higher in calories.  Seeing the calories make me think twice...

I've had an Egg White Delight once or twice after surgery in emergency situations, feeling guilty each time due to high sodium, etc.  Always seems like wasted calories.

The only fast food I've had since surgery is Culvers chili and another time, half of a hamburger. I avoid all ff places, especially McDonalds! I used to love the fish sandwich and sausage egg biscuit. 

I've never been a big eater or a clean plate person but I loved the sweets! Still do, but have control over them now. 

Portions. I'd eat huge portions of everything. Giant bowls of rice. Cookie sheets of tator tots or fries. Mixing bowls full of noodles. Bags of chips. Pizzas.

Late night sitting at the computer and the countless trips to the kitchen to snack. I think most of my daily calories were consumed between dinner and bed time.

Also sugar ....sweet sweeet evilness. It was something I could never do in moderation

My worst habit by far was the amount of soda I would drink. Coca Cola was my drug. My husband always liked to point it out whenever I told him he needed to quit smoking.

I was a quantity eater. My husband encouraged it when we first got together. In order to try more of the menu, you have to order appetizers....or an extra item in addition to a "value" meal at fast food. Frozen pizza by myself was common.

I also had the snack meal after work before dinner...a mc chicken or two before dinner solved the stress of the day!

I have learned so much about myself in this process.

sweets.  huge portions towards the end there. all or nothing thinking- either i was starving myself of gorging. did i say sweets? sweets.  

I loved any type of chips and dip.  I would eat anything sweet if I was stressed.

chocolate anything in huge amounts morning, noon, night, bedtime, during the night and so on.

if chocolate toothpaste was available, I would probably have used it.

forgot to mention that all though I hate the donuts made by dunking donuts, I would buy a chocolate and a vanilla cream donut and eat the cream out of them with a spoon and then throw the cake part out.

Edited by Spunkycat

I was also told to have second helpings and to clean my plate.  I make sure I never do this with my daughter...I ask her if she is full, if she says yes, she is done.

I have a lot of bad habits from my parents growing up.  We always had dessert after every dinner...as a kid I was given a huge bowl of ice cream after "cleaning my plate".  My school lunches would be stuffed with cheese curls...two baggies worth...little debbie snacks at least 2...and a large PB and J.  I remember breakfast being pop tarts or brown sugar on toast. Trips to Dairy Queen on every long outing.  Pizza every week. I rarely remember many healthy meals...eating my greens was eating peas...and I thought this was normal.  As a kid I had no idea why I was big.  Be careful what you feed your little ones...don't set them up for a lifetime of obesity struggles.  

Now, I don't do these things as an adult, but I have a wicked sugar addiction and carb addiction because of it.    I was actually good at dieting....I have dieted since I was 14.  But always ended up heavier after years of yo-yoing...that was my bad habit...trying new diets...then giving into my cravings.

14 hours ago, MrsBrewher said:

I was also told to have second helpings and to clean my plate.  I make sure I never do this with my daughter...I ask her if she is full, if she says yes, she is done.

I have a lot of bad habits from my parents growing up.  We always had dessert after every dinner...as a kid I was given a huge bowl of ice cream after "cleaning my plate".  My school lunches would be stuffed with cheese curls...two baggies worth...little debbie snacks at least 2...and a large PB and J.  I remember breakfast being pop tarts or brown sugar on toast. Trips to Dairy Queen on every long outing.  Pizza every week. I rarely remember many healthy meals...eating my greens was eating peas...and I thought this was normal.  As a kid I had no idea why I was big.  Be careful what you feed your little ones...don't set them up for a lifetime of obesity struggles.  

Now, I don't do these things as an adult, but I have a wicked sugar addiction and carb addiction because of it.    I was actually good at dieting....I have dieted since I was 14.  But always ended up heavier after years of yo-yoing...that was my bad habit...trying new diets...then giving into my cravings.

Excellent post. This rings true for me. 

secret eating for sure. i'd always eat regular portions amongst family and friends and then when i was alone, i would either order out or have second and third portions of whatever. My parents never understood why i was big bc we didn't have junk food in the house and I ate normally when I was with them, but when I ate alone.....Yikes. 

carbs as well, I haven't had bread since my surgery, before I'd have maybe 6 slices of toast? also like 3 bowls of cereal.

I liked salads, vegetables (but they had to be smothered in dressing/butter) and fresh fruit.  But I like huge portions, going back for seconds/thirds, grazing constantly between meals, candy, chips, cookies etc. etc.

On August 31, 2016 at 9:59 PM, Res Ipsa said:

I did this a few times! I am two years and a few months out of surgery and NO FAST FOOD! Yay 

Cleaning my plate. Then I'd finish off whatever bits my son had left, no matter how stuffed I already was.

I have huge food wasting issues from childhood. So thankful I tackled this with my therapist the year preceding surgery. 

Multiple visits to our break room with a table of treats.

Meat and sweets for me, in large portions, although I would do something sort of comical.

I would buy the 5 lb bag of Hershey's miniatures so as to have just a little snack after dinner and not overindulge- an hour later there would be this mini massacre at my feet with half the bag of wrappers all wadded up on the floor .... but hey they were miniature.

And I could put down an entire rack of ribs ( country style) in one sitting and go back later for more.

And I have posted my fondness for all things arched and golden earlier in another post so I won't rehash that.

In fact almost everything above has rang true to me at one point or another, except the salads post from Cinwa, I used to think and usually would say that lettuce is what food eats.

I do like a salad these days.

Volume volume volume. Whatever it was, I ate an enormous amount of it and I wasn't done until the food was gone.

Mine was cleaning my plate too.

Of course, it never occurred to me to use a smaller plate!