My beautiful niece is scheduled to have the sleeve surgery on 9/7, with all of the "normal" anxiety she is concerned about what to eat as a vegetarian, she does eat eggs and cheese but that's all the animal products she eats. Is there any reference / web pages I can refer her to, or perhaps do any of you have the same dietary restrictions. I would appreciate and/all input. thanks in advance

Edited by grandmaglitter1221
left out type of surgery

There are great meatless protein sources. Eggs, eggbeaters, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tofu, etc. And protein powder can help fill in any shortfall, even long-term. Beans, nuts, and nutrition bars are decent too, but these meet other needs too (carbs, fats), so she'll need to be mindful of how they fit in. Some of the items I listed are appropriate longer-term.

Edited by WendyH

Thanks Wendy and cheers for your weight loss. I will mention this to Alicia and also suggest that she join this website..

Be well,

Joyce 

I totally agree (as usual) with Wendy. There are several very active members of this board who are vegetarians, and they report that life after their surgery is great. 

Here are a couple of old posts on this topic:

Vegetarians are varied in what they eat. The strictly militant ones eat no animals or byproducts of any kind, or even use animal byproducts.

Most who call themselves vegetarians eat byproducts but not the animals themselves. I eat very little meat, and my diet is mostly dairy.

Much of the world subsists on rice and beans and little more.