Tay93

Beginner questions!

So just scheduled my consult for July 12th with a local bariatric surgeon. Few questions weighing on my mind. 

I have Aetna choice pos II 

concermed with the lack of actually supervised dieting I've had. 5 years ago I was on phentermine and had some success, have tried multiple attempts on my own. My BMI is 46 and I have high blood pressure. Wondering if this would be approved or if I need to start something I'm the mean time. 

2 things going for you; your BMI is above 40 (with a co morbidity like high blood pressure you only need a bmi 35 or greater). And you have a co morbidity; high blood pressure.

many insurance companies require a 6 month supervised diet.  

Keep track of your questions (I did this on my phone) and pulled it out every visit.  That way I was sure not to forget anything..

Thanks cheesehead! I've been considering it for a while now and I'm nervous about being turned down because I finally have the courage to do something about my life. Nervous/anxious to see how things go.

Fingers crossed! 

Every insurance company is a bit different, but all I had to do for BCBS of MA was tell them on a form that I had triedin the past  to lose weight on my own (eg through Weight Watchers or an Atkins diet).  I was not required to have had a supervised diet. 

There should be a person at your surgeon's office who can help you get approval for the surgery.