Jump to content

Supplement cost


Recommended Posts

Hey so we are low income. Hoe much do you pay for your supplements on average a month?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What vitamins does your program suggest?  That's really the place to start.  I would explain the financial situation and ask for the most cost effective choice.  One thing that may be surprising is that while supplements may cost more your food will likely cost a good deal less. Keep in mind what I've listed is the basics and aren't based on specific individual needs people have.  Some people need additional supplements that's why it's so important to have bloodwork done regularly.  

I added up the lowest cost for the minimum my program suggests and it comes to about $.37 a day.  What I take currently runs about $2 a day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Raeme said:

What vitamins does your program suggest?  That's really the place to start.  I would explain the financial situation and ask for the most cost effective choice.  One thing that may be surprising is that while supplements may cost more your food will likely cost a good deal less. Keep in mind what I've listed is the basics and aren't based on specific individual needs people have.  Some people need additional supplements that's why it's so important to have bloodwork done regularly.  

I added up the lowest cost for the minimum my program suggests and it comes to about $.37 a day.  What I take currently runs about $2 a day. 

Thanks Raeme! I was just looking for a range or estimate to see what I might expect to pay. Very helpful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something else to consider at least early out is protein powder too.  It will help you reach your protein goals early out.  Keep in mind clothing also-you can only belt them in so long.  I went from 24w and had to buy something when I hit 16.  But I used a cheap belt I got at Walmart that had holes all the way around..,I shop clearance racks still.  

I take a multi vitamin bought at SAMs, B12 sublingual bought at Walmart, calcium citrate bought at SAMs, vitamin D Walmart, a probiotic online at vitacost.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I've been thinking about what I can wear that will last through a lot of sizes...so far I've got a wraparound skirt as an idea...aaaaand that's about it. Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, ValerieKGorman said:

Yeah I've been thinking about what I can wear that will last through a lot of sizes...so far I've got a wraparound skirt as an idea...aaaaand that's about it. Lol

I wasn't real picky.  I wore things baggy and I had my belt.  Did lose a pair of shorts walking up with my arms full from the garden. Luckily we live on a dead end in the country;). I got to size 14 and bought several pairs thinking that was where I'd settle.  Nope, I'm in a 2 or 4.i still wear my 2xl tshirts to bed...

pout second hand stores are not organized according to size; they are organized by color and I don't have time or patience to dig for my size.  I also find used clothing just as expensive as stuff I find on the clearance racks brand new...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I wasn't real picky.  I wore things baggy and I had my belt.  Did lose a pair of shorts walking up with my arms full from the garden. Luckily we live on a dead end in the country;). I got to size 14 and bought several pairs thinking that was where I'd settle.  Nope, I'm in a 2 or 4.i still wear my 2xl tshirts to bed...

pout second hand stores are not organized according to size; they are organized by color and I don't have time or patience to dig for my size.  I also find used clothing just as expensive as stuff I find on the clearance racks brand new...

Off topic but id like to know what bozo thought organizing clothes by color not size was a good idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ValerieKGorman said:

Off topic but id like to know what bozo thought organizing clothes by color not size was a good idea. 

I went to my favorite Goodwill today. It is over 40 minutes from my house, and there are at least three other locations that are closer to me. This store has like an organization hierarchy. First it separates by gender, then plus versus regular, then type (shorts, pants, tops, etc). Then by sub-type (shirts are separated by sleeve length), then by size, and within size, color. This particular store is scary organized, and it's so easy to find everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My supplements all come from CVS or Walgreens, and I buy them on sale.  Thus, my cost for the supplements per month is very small (less than $15), and much less than the money that I save by eating less.  Obviously, the cost is significantly higher if you chose to buy "bariatric" supplements.  Be sure to remember that you really do need calcium citrate for your calcium supplement, even though it costs more than calcium carbonate.

You will have a cost of buying smaller clothes as you lose weight.  As the weight loss after surgery can be quite rapid, your use of these clothes will be short term.  Try not to buy anything expensive (or too many pieces of clothing) until you reach your goal weight and maintain it for a few months.

You also probably will have significant direct and indirect medical expenses (co-pays, blood test costs, travel costs, missed work, etc.) at first, since most weight loss surgery programs in the US have lots of appointments and blood tests in the months before and after surgery.  Once you are about six months post surgery, most programs suggest in terms of appointments nothing more than yearly checkups and blood tests. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, WendyH said:

I went to my favorite Goodwill today. It is over 40 minutes from my house, and there are at least three other locations that are closer to me. This store has like an organization hierarchy. First it separates by gender, then plus versus regular, then type (shorts, pants, tops, etc). Then by sub-type (shirts are separated by sleeve length), then by size, and within size, color. This particular store is scary organized, and it's so easy to find everything.

Wow!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you eat out much now?  How many people are you feeding at home?

Remember good food does cost more.  Don't know what you buy now but fruits and veggies cost more than chips and junk.  

i often cook for the family and if it's a chicken dish I pull mine out before finishing theirs with sauces, pasta, rice or whatever.  I don't like beef a lot so I'll have chicken.  I'll grill mine on the George foreman, it's quick and easy!  Before our daughter and her family moved in with us, if my hubby was out of town I'd grab a rotisserie chicken at SAMs for $5 and that would last me all week and still have dark meat left for hubby on Friday when he got home;).  

If I start thinking something like supplements are expensive I tell myself I'm worth it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only thing I bought new between having WLS and getting to my goal weight was shoes, undies/bras and socks.  Everything else came from Goodwill etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

Do you eat out much now?  How many people are you feeding at home?

Remember good food does cost more.  Don't know what you buy now but fruits and veggies cost more than chips and junk.  

i often cook for the family and if it's a chicken dish I pull mine out before finishing theirs with sauces, pasta, rice or whatever.  I don't like beef a lot so I'll have chicken.  I'll grill mine on the George foreman, it's quick and easy!  Before our daughter and her family moved in with us, if my hubby was out of town I'd grab a rotisserie chicken at SAMs for $5 and that would last me all week and still have dark meat left for hubby on Friday when he got home;).  

If I start thinking something like supplements are expensive I tell myself I'm worth it.  

We don't eat out because we can't afford it but I'm committed to making this lifestyle change regardless of the cost. I figure the higher price of foods will be offset by the smaller quantity.  So excited to begin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ValerieKGorman said:

We don't eat out because we can't afford it but I'm committed to making this lifestyle change regardless of the cost. I figure the higher price of foods will be offset by the smaller quantity.  So excited to begin. 

Having WLS need not mean an increase in your food budget Valerie.  Not buying chips, cookies and and other snacks saves me a lot of money.

Ground meats like beef and turkey and chicken thighs are relatively inexpensive (more so when they're on offer) and freezing and a slow cooker can be your best friend.

I don't eat meat but my husband does.  I buy meat when it's on offer and either freeze it as is for later use or break out the slow cooker and freeze in smaller portions for the freezer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also eat lots of eggs, cottage cheese, and yogurt with fresh fruit.  Eighteen eggs lasts 2 weeks and that's with hubby eating them too.  Large cottage cheese lasts about a week and one yogurt a day for $1 is max.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

for supplements, find what your surgeon wants you to have and what you need to have. I was able to finagle with my nutritionist and this is what works for me:

Costco gummy vitamins - 2 bottles of 200 each (each serving is 2 gummies) $9. Usually there is a coupon that brings them to $7-8 for 2, at which point i stock up. So each bottle is 100 servings, if I take 4 pills a day (2 AM 2 PM) that's 25 days per bottle, so the 2 pack lasts me just under 2 months. So it comes out to $3.50-$5 per month for vitamins

These don't have the thamine or niacin that my program wants me to have. These are both B vitamins. I have to take a B12 supplement b/c in addition to the malabsorption of B12 via surgery, I have "naturally" low B12. So rather than take a B12 supplement, I take a b-complex pill that has B12, thamine, and niacin. I got a bottle of 150 somewhere for roughly $10-$15. 1 tab a day = 5 months worth of supplements, so that's cheap

The iron was about $10 for a bottle of 400. 1 tablet a day = over 1 year of Iron

I take Vitamin C to help with iron absorption, and that was Costco vit C, several hundred for $10 or less. This will last me months.

Vitamin D - I was taking this more frequently because my numbers were low, but since moving to FL and buying a house with a pool, I'm able to get much more VitD. I was taking I think 5,000 iu's a day, but that's down to 2500 now. A bottle at Costco is $10-$20, and that will last me about 4 months.

Calcium I get through costco. $16 for a few hundred. Three tabs a day, so a few months supply.

I went over all of this with my nutritionist and surgeon and they were pleased with the plan, and my numbers afterwards. I was not going to pay $20-$40 a month PER SUPPLEMENT to get speciality bariatric vitamins. It wasn't going to happen, and this works out financially for me

Remember, this is what works  for me on the basis of my health needs and with the Ok of my surgeon & nutritionist. This may not work for you.

I haven't bought new clothes isnce before surgery. I get everything at Goodwill. Well, I buy new undies and bras. Everything else is a short-term rental thorugh goodwill. Wear it for a few weeks then re-donate.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found buying supplements online was incredibly helpful! Puritan's pride is awesome for buy 2 get 3 free ( just be sure you look for the specifics, like calcium citrate and not just calcium). I have a year's supply of most of my vitamins. The only thing I don't get from there is my multi and that I use bariatric advantage.  I also get my protein powder online from the same place ( Vitamin Shoppe) because they often have sales, they send coupons on the items I buy and there is a customer rewards program so I continue to get savings off the items I'm already going to be ordering. I regularly get 40% or more off my orders.  As for clothing, Goodwill is the way to go! 

Edited by LosingLex
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...