Abibliophobe

How exposed will I be when getting the surgery?

I know this is a stupid question but I've never had a surgery before.  Do they allow you to keep your underwear on?  Are you allowed to have a blanket to cover the body parts (lower area like public and legs?) 

Like I've said I've never had a surgery and the idea of being overly exposed makes me uncomfortable.  

I know I'll probably have to wear compression socks.  Do they put those on before or after surgery? 

Sorry for the silly question.  I hope I don't offend anyone.  Being exposed isn't gonna deter me from the surgery but it would be nice to know what to expect.  

You won't be wearing undies as you will have a catheter inserted for urine drainage during your surgery. They put that in after you are asleep. Compression socks were put on after surgery but I was still asleep. Yes you get blankets and you are wearing a hospital gown into surgery.  Hope this helps.

Rose

21 minutes ago, Irish Rose said:

You won't be wearing undies as you will have a catheter inserted for urine drainage during your surgery. They put that in after you are asleep. Compression socks were put on after surgery but I was still asleep. Yes you get blankets and you are wearing a hospital gown into surgery.  Hope this helps.

Rose

This did help.  I'm glad I'll be able to have a blanket.  I hadn't realized I'd need a catheter. Does that have to do with how long the surgery is?  How long are we meant to keep the catheter in for? 

My cath was removed the day after surgery. Don't worry about the cath. It was kind of nice not having to go to the toilet for the night.

I had to put on the compression socks and the gown before surgery. In the OR they covered me with an additional blanket. And then I slept and don't know what was removed or not. I wore the gown and socks again when I woke up. :)

Edited by summerset

18 minutes ago, summerset said:

My cath was removed the day after surgery. Don't worry about the cath. It was kind of nice not having to go to the toilet for the night.

I had to put on the compression socks and the gown before surgery. In the OR they covered me with an additional blanket. And then I slept and don't know what was removed or not. I wore the gown and socks again when I woke up. :)

Thank you.  This is reassuring.  I guess for me it's just nice to know that I'll have a blanket available.  Even if they don't keep it on during the surgery it is unlikely that I will be aware of it but at least I'll be able to go into it thinking I'll get to keep the blanket on.  

I had to wait a bit in the OR and because the temperature is rather low in there, they even put some thing that blew warm air on me under the blanket.

Most likely at least the lower part of your body will still be under a blanket or some kind of "warming device" because the body is cooling out rather quick.

I didn't have a cath when I woke up.  I brought a robe to the hospital as I didn't want my butt hanging out the hospital gown.  I used it as a cover when I was in bed.  They put these leg things on after surgery to keep the blood flowing so you don't get blood clots.  You have to have them unplugged when you get up to walk; and you will be up to walk the same day!  

You will be covered before they put u under and you will be covered when you wake up in recovery.  

48 minutes ago, Cheesehead said:

I didn't have a cath when I woke up.  I brought a robe to the hospital as I didn't want my butt hanging out the hospital gown.  I used it as a cover when I was in bed.  They put these leg things on after surgery to keep the blood flowing so you don't get blood clots.  You have to have them unplugged when you get up to walk; and you will be up to walk the same day!  

You will be covered before they put u under and you will be covered when you wake up in recovery.  

This was my experience. I didn't have a catheter at any point, but they encouraged me to empty my bladder right before we went to the operating room to help avoid the need for one. Like Summerset, they gave me compression socks & a gown before surgery and covered me with a blanket or two in the operating room and that's how I woke up.

Edited by athenarose

You really shouldn't worry, they've certainly seen it all.  I was given great drugs as they were taking me in to the OR, nappy time, they inserted and removed the catheter while I was out.  To me it just felt like as soon as I went under they were already trying to wake me up, very surreal but not at all frightening in any way and the warm blankets in the recovery room are divine (feels like when you pile the warm towels on your body straight from the dryer while you're folding them).  You will be surprised at how well you do, you've got this :)

Don't let fear get you.  I had to have a PIC line and that almost had me leaving.  I didn't like the thought of something in my vein.   I was terrified going into the OR, darn near got up at that point and said no thanks this isn't for me.  The only thing that kept me there was knowing my family was in the waiting room and that we all had gotten up bloody early.  I didn't want to let them down.   But then I wouldn't have had this second chance at life and gotten to enjoy this amazing journey if I'd have left...

I've worked in the OR in my days of labor and delivery nursing.  In my experience, we were totally professional and respectful of the patient's privacy.  we only had private areas exposed when it was necessary, and we covered the patient as soon as we were done.  I don't know if this helps reassure you, I hope it does. Honestly, when you're in work mode, you're not looking at people's privates in the way you might, say, at the beach or whatever.  It's just an organ, a part of the body, and we do what we have to do and move on.  What happens with a catheter, etc, will depend on your hospital and surgeon.  You won't wear any undies at all, and your gown will either be pushed all the way up to your chest, or removed completely.  If you are catheterized, it will happen after you sleep. It may be removed right away, or 24 hours post op.  they will clean you up after the procedure is over and re-gown you and transfer you to recovery once you are extubated.  That's when you'll be handed off to recovery nurses who will take care of you for a while- 2 to 3 hours for bariatrics.  They will help you with pain management. Mine got me out of bed and into a chair, I had to sit in the chair for a while before they would let me get back into bed. They were great with pain meds and anti nausea meds (I woke up wanting to puke, but they got me medicated and I felt much better). After that you will transferred to your room on a regular med-surg floor,(or some hospitals have bariatric wings) where your nurses will give you instructions about when you can start sipping fluids, etc. They will take your vital signs frequently and you will have a pain pump and IV fluids running.  You'll start to get up and walk around the day after surgery.  The next day or two will be sipping, sleeping, and walking. If there's no problems, you will be discharged!

I hope this helps allay your fears, if you have any more questions, PM me, I'm happy to help if I can.  Good luck to you!!

Nurse here !

When you go in, you'll be in a hospital gown and will be wearing a hair net. You'll be in blankets. no underwear. Also no jewelry - they'll make you take it off, as there is always a risk that the electric cautery iron can "arc" to your jewelry and cause a burn

You'll get your anesthetic medicine and will go to sleep - once you're out they'll take off the gown, put in a catheter and position you for the surgery. This is also when they put the breathing tube down your throat and intubate you. For the surgery itself, the only part of you "exposed" will be your abdomen. The rest of your body will be covered in surgical towels and warming blankets. It's not to protect your modesty but to cut down on the amount of contaminants (skin) in the OR. You can't sterilize skin like you can an instrument, so they keep your body covered except for what is being worked on. Your head/face will be visible to the anesthesiologist who sits at the head of the bed.

For me, they removed my catheter when the surgery was over, as well as the breathing tube, obviously. You will wake up with SCD's (Sequential Compression Devices) on your legs -- velcro wraps that go around your calves and hooked up to a machine that pump them full of air and then release the air. It helps prevent blood clots.

I got back to my room around 11pm. I was up and walking by 1am. No rest for the wicked, I suppose.

Edited by heddi

I didn't have a catheter or a pain pump (wish I had though).

I know its easy to say 'don't worry about them seeing your body', but like the nurses said they don't look at bodies like we would.