xamandacarterx

Sometimes I can eat

Sometimes I can't . Do you guys ever have this? Some days I can eat just fine others it's like I care barely eat at all. 

I'm a sleeved but same.  Some days something will go down and sit just fine, while other days the same food doesn't.  Some days I feel very hungry, other days I don't at all.  I have a feeling it's par for the course, especially since we truly are still healing.  Hopefully some vets will chime in with some insight.  

It's a little nutty how fast it can change.  Sometimes it's mid bite.  Sometimes I eat the same few things over and over but then poof it's gross.  A few weeks later it might be delicious again or maybe not. Today was a day I had to make myself eat. I'm at 500 cal and will force down a protein shake before bed just to get in 60g for the day. Eating like a kid taking medicine. A couple days ago I was at about 900 cal and almost 90g and could have eaten more. 

I have my moments.  I go through periods where I don't feel like eating, so I don't.  I rely on protein shakes to get me through.  I've learned if I think I'm going to gag on something just to spit it in a napkin.  I've loved chicken since I could eat real foods, lately I have a hard time getting it down.  Eggs.. I made egg patties for the kids at work Friday, they looked good but I knew they weren't going to go down so I spit them out. 

Took my 5 year old grandson shopping yesterday and kept asking him if he was hungry.  Many times I forget it's mealtime.  If I do get hungry, it's like bam!  I need to eat now or I will scarf everything in sight.  I keep jerky with me.

Oh well, I enjoyed food for way too long;). 

I definitely swing. Last week was a "one bite and I"m done" week for the most part. My morning smoothies and oatmeal would carry me through lunch and I was fine.

THis week I'm like "hi i'd like to just strap a feed bag to my face if that's okay with you." 

I just kind of go with the flow, stay on plan, make sure I get my protein, and if I don't feel like eating and I don't need the protein, I don't. If I'm hungry, I'll have a sensible snack. It really just depends on the day or even the hour!

This is me and I'm ok with that. I don't force myself to eat anything. My two snacks a day are protein shakes so even if I don't eat anything solid, i've still got 50 g of protein banked! That's a lot of help for those 1 or two days a month where I just can't deal with foods. I also found on the days that I am really not interested in eating, it helps to switch back to something you would have eaten in the mushy phase because it settles easier on the pouch and less chewing= the sooner you can be finished with it. I'm ok with a hummus dinner every once and awhile haha

This is normal in my experience, over two years out and I still have days where I can't really eat anything.  

Thanks guys <3 

Amanda,

I have the same issue, especially in the morning.  I just had my six month check in with my NP and nutritionist.  I told the NP how I really can't stomach the thought of food in the morning so I will have a protein shake.  They sell the Core Power RTD ones in my office cafeteria so it's super convenient for me.  She gave me a hard time about eating real food because I'd feel full longer.  I get that, but I'd rather get in my 26g of protein via shake than skipping breakfast because the idea of food turns me off.  Then I saw the nutritionist and related the conversation I had with the NP down the hall.  She agreed with me, getting in protein in via shake is better than none at all.  She voice concern that I'd be hungry, but I really am not hungry until lunch and many days I have trouble finishing the bottle.  She signed off on me doing the shakes.

On 6/8/2016 at 7:45 PM, PapaG said:

This is normal in my experience, over two years out and I still have days where I can't really eat anything.  

On 6/21/2016 at 10:42 AM, garnet dreams said:

Amanda,

I have the same issue, especially in the morning.  I just had my six month check in with my NP and nutritionist.  I told the NP how I really can't stomach the thought of food in the morning so I will have a protein shake.  They sell the Core Power RTD ones in my office cafeteria so it's super convenient for me.  She gave me a hard time about eating real food because I'd feel full longer.  I get that, but I'd rather get in my 26g of protein via shake than skipping breakfast because the idea of food turns me off.  Then I saw the nutritionist and related the conversation I had with the NP down the hall.  She agreed with me, getting in protein in via shake is better than none at all.  She voice concern that I'd be hungry, but I really am not hungry until lunch and many days I have trouble finishing the bottle.  She signed off on me doing the shakes.

Sounds like a good idea.